MWC Expansion Eminent?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

MWC Expansion Eminent?

Post by Mars »

"We've got regular business to conduct," Thompson said. "I would say there will be a lot of conversations about 'what ifs,' that sort of thing."

"That's all you can do. You're simultaneously proactive and reactive... You've got to prepare for and look at what makes you better. What do we do if this scenario develops? Or if these things happen? Where are you going to go? ...The end game is all the same. If there's an institution, or institutions, that can bring you more revenue, grow your enterprise and improve your conference, then you'll look at expansion... I think everybody's crunching those numbers and running those models right now. No determinations have been made as to whether that will happen or not... We're in the same boat. Is there an institution, or institutions, that make us better? We've been looking at models. We've been running numbers. We've been talking about, 'Are we better at 10 (members)?' Would we be better at 12? Twelve really hasn't gained much traction... I think there's some sentiment and feelings of where these schools were 11 years ago in a 16-team, four-quadrant (Western Athletic Conference)... It didn't make sense for them. We really haven't spent a lot of time on anything other than philosophically talking about 10... We're in the exact same position now... We added TCU solely and independently because they were a great addition. They brought a lot to the league... They've helped us grow and made us better. That was in the same time frame when schools left the Big East to go to the ACC and then the Big East picked up Conference USA schools. Everybody was moving around. We didn't have to add TCU. We did because they made us better."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... .html?pg=2

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: MWC Expansion Eminent?

Post by Lawboy »

I say yes. I expect 3 teams to be added. Possibly more if Utah, TCU or BYU jump ship. But the MWC will get to 12 teams. And I see the current top 3 candidates being BSU, Fresno State, and then Houston or Nevada. Perhaps Tulsa or SMU as well.

Basically, the old WAC will get back together, plus some teams. Will be strange.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

would be nice to see MWC add a team that jumps us up in football and basketball.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

BYUBALLIN wrote:would be nice to see MWC add a team that jumps us up in football and basketball.
Agreed, but who are you going to get? Boise? No. Anyone from the WAC for that matter? No. Houston? Ok, maybe but I can't think of any school that would make a contribution in both FB and BB that's not already in an AQ conference besides maybe Houston. Boise BBall sux. Nevada is mediocre at both BB and FB. Fresno same story. Am I missing an obvious choice here?

Loyal Strong True
YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

The reason the MWC exists is because the WAC was too big, and had too share too much money. The MWC will never expand. BYU, Utah, and TCU will be BcS schools before the MWC expands. Unless the MWC becomes a BcS conference.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Rose makes it sound like BYU officials have informed him that they are pushing to add Boise State to the conference:

" Asked if he has had any discussions with BYU Athletics administrators about potential conference expansion scenarios, Rose said "it's been discussed with me, but what I think, my opinion... isn't going to make any difference." "
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=10661373

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I wonder if the Eminent expansion might also be Imminent.

It also seemed clear he was saying we will add Boise State if we can and do nothing else unless an opportunity to add someone else who could really help the league comes along. Adding TCU did help the league improve in football national reputation. TCU does not have much of a fan base and not much of a basketball prominence - but they have a darn good football team and that helped the conference.

It remains to be seen if a school like Houston or even SMU or someone else might regain enough natinal prominence in results on the field or the court to clearly strengthen the national perception of the conference.

He didn't come right out and say it, but getting into the Auto-Qualify status might be a bigger challenge if the MWC tries to drag along too many mediocre teams with it. The MWC already has plenty of those. BUt Houston and SMU have some good things cookin down in Texas and just maybe another seaso or two of success could help make an eventual argument to go to 12.

A better revenue sharing model could also open up some possibilities.

Go Cougs

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Mars wrote: Would we be better at 12? Twelve really hasn't gained much traction[/b]... I think there's some sentiment and feelings of where these schools were 11 years ago in a 16-team, four-quadrant (Western Athletic Conference)... It didn't make sense for them. We really haven't spent a lot of time on anything other than philosophically talking about 10...
12 teams, 2 divisions and a conference championship game sounds like a dead idea currently.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

I've said this a bunch but I truly believe that 9 is the perfect number for a college football conference. It allows you to have a the same number of conference home and away games, it allows you to have 4 non-conference games, that you can use to play whoever you want, and it allows you to avoid the ridiculous, all-about-the-money championship game. That said, it seems that no matter how much the BCS proponents profess "it's about the student-athletes", it's clear from their actions they couldn't care less.

Since the formulas for BCS inclusion have been revealed, it's evident that BSU essentially adds nothing to our appeal to get an auto-bid and it only waters down the earnings per school that much more. The only way adding BSU could help us is if the BCS decided that by adding the MWC with Boise, all the "problem children" would finally be satisfied and there wouldn't be so much squawking anymore. That said, they could also be hoping the MWC does add BSU knowing they still don't have to grant us the auto-bid due to their formulas for inclusion and that it would only make it that much harder for a MWC team to go undefeated and "bust the BCS". Of course, if one did happen to go undefeated, they would have a much greater shot at the NC game but I bet they feel pretty confidant that the human pollsters would still throw the "Big Dogs" in the game over the little guy.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I actually agree with MARS last post. Make a note of that. Scary!

re gmj81 -

I agree with most of your post. But it seeems to me that the criteria for inclusion as an auto-qualifier had one measure the MWC was not cuttin the mustard on and that was performance of the lower half. It would seem that adding BSU would then create a conference with 5 consistently good teams and 5 more that usually produce 1 or 2 OK enough teams like Wyoming last year being bowl eligible. Maybe that would help. I disagree that it is nice othave 4 OOC games so we can play whomever we want. We can't get whomever we want to play us on any equal footing it they will play us at all and that seems to be getting worse - not better.

I wouldn't add BSU unless a deal was cooked with the BCS to include the MWC or unless I also intended to move further and create some lock-in of the Utes as part of that expansion with a poison pill should they walk - same for TCU and then add 2 programs that had the best chance of evolving to put a respectable product on the field, court or both. That might be SMU and Houston. Maybe it is Nevada and Fresno State. In this model, our top teams would not need to play all of our top teams and beat each other up and the playoff game would likely result in two top 10 teams playing each other most years. What I mean is the winner of the BYU-Utah game probably takes one division and is highly ranked and the winner of the TCU BSU gme takes the other division and is highly ranked. Then the winner of that title game is guaranteed to go Top 6 with a win over the other guy. For this to work out for eventual BCS inclusion - the Big 4 Boys need to quit taking the bait and scheduling improbable games across multiple time zones against top BCS teams with no home game in return. In fact, for this to work, all MWC teams should play games that they have an equal shot or better of winning for OOC games.

Then when the MWC becomes part of the BCS - and gets a regular chunk of the money - the bottom of the MWC may start to improve. They could certainly take any players the WAC would normally get - even more so than now. They could compete with most PAC 10 teams for players and with many Big 12 teams for players.

Life would get better over time.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.