The Real Quarterback U

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Y12
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The Real Quarterback U

Post by Y12 »

gmj81 wrote:Wrong, there have been others (Walsh, Doman) they just didn't have very successful careers. But for that matter, neither did Detmer or Beck.
I wouldn't call Detmer's career unsuccessful. He took Philly to the playoffs a couple of years as the starter. His career turned bad when he made the decision to leave SF. That is when he became a journeyman. Had he stayed in SF he would have taken over for Steve (Detmer left in 1999, which was Youngs last year) and the SF "system" would have given him a good 3-4 year run.

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

kitic77 wrote:The only quality NFL QBs I saw on that list were Moon, Chandler and Brunell. Miami produced Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, and Vinny Testaverde. BYU had Jim McMahon and Steve Young. All three schools had some other decent QBs who stuck in the league for a while. But only the BYU guys had Super Bowl wins as the starter. I give the nod to BYU. Championships gotta count for something.
Agree. The "formula" used is raw and needs to be refined to include more criteria. Super Bowls, HOF, playoff appearances, won-loss record, etc. and obviously college play should play a factor.

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

YBrit wrote:In 2008 they contested their 1984 national championship that BYU OWNS.

in 2010 they contest their the QB U.

Well, we were 1 Harvey away from scoring another TD against them in 08, statistically owned them.

In 2010 we'll be beating them UCLA style up and down the field. This is the real reason they cancelled the rest of the games, they ran out of things to attempt to steal from BYU.

Washington: The "real" classless U (another tradition the UoU stole) with more purple.
You would think that it would be enough for them to know that they took a National Championship away from us in 1996 and that they took our former QB to get on the road to recovery.

Except, we keep 1 uping them. We took Heaps.

You are right, no matter what they do, they just can't get ahead of the Y.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

Y12 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:The only quality NFL QBs I saw on that list were Moon, Chandler and Brunell. Miami produced Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, and Vinny Testaverde. BYU had Jim McMahon and Steve Young. All three schools had some other decent QBs who stuck in the league for a while. But only the BYU guys had Super Bowl wins as the starter. I give the nod to BYU. Championships gotta count for something.
Agree. The "formula" used is raw and needs to be refined to include more criteria. Super Bowls, HOF, playoff appearances, won-loss record, etc. and obviously college play should play a factor.
Meh. The NFL game is so different from the college game that bragging about who puts more QBs in the league isn't really a good way to brag about who's got the better college program. I'll take Detmer over Flacco et al every day of the week and twice on Sunday when it comes to college QBs.

Loyal Strong True
PurpleReign
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by PurpleReign »

I don't know why there is all this negativity, some of you are taking this guys article as if it was some sort of personal insult to you and BYU. I really didn't get that sense at all from the article. Heck, I have made the same argument on other forums before, whenever the "QB U" debate comes up.

His argument was based on putting kids into the NFL, so I don't know why anyone feels a need to tear that down, as I think based on that criteria our Dawgs have done pretty well. It's an impressive run, and I don't think that has to mean it takes away from someone else.

"All I saw was purple. No jerseys, no numbers, just purple." - Todd Marinovich, USC QB, about the University of Washington defense following a 31-0 loss on September 22nd, 1990.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

It's not any more impressive than BYU's run or Miami's run. To claim otherwise is to pick and choose your data and criteria until you find a unique set that includes your guys and excludes others. Even then, UW hasn't done any better than BYU or Miami. And the runs they have made have been less successful if you want to acheive the highest level of quarterbacking. Based on past histroy you're much more likely to win a Super Bowl if you played at BYU. You certainly don't go to UW if you want to win a ring as the starter.

That said, as a Vikings fan, I'd love for us to find some way to get Jake Locker next year.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!