More Anti-BYU Sentiment from the PAC-10

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

More Anti-BYU Sentiment from the PAC-10

Post by Mars »

" BYU is absolutely not joining the Pac-10 unless the existing conference landscape is dismantled and we end up with four super conferences — and maybe not even then. And I’ve heard that from multiple sources, those within the Pac-10 and those close to BYU officials. BYU was not viewed as a good fit in the mid-1990s when the league considered expansion, and I asked a well-placed source if there had been any change in that view. “No change,” he said.

In fact, best I can tell, nobody in the Pac-10’s chain of command, from the CEOs down to the coaches, is interested in BYU for the following reasons:

* The presidents and chancellors of the secular Pac-10 schools are wary of joining forces with a church-affiliated school (any church-affiliated school).

* As it moves forward, the Pac-10 wants to increase its scheduling flexibility to provide more broadcast opportunities for networks. BYU would decrease flexibility because it doesn’t play on Sundays.

* The potential TV revenue generated by BYU’s national appeal is not enough to overcome the above concerns — it’s not like BYU is Notre Dame. (Part of BYU’s national subscriber base, remember, already falls within the Pac-10 TV footprint.)

* The Pac-10 coaches and athletic directors aren’t interested in sending their 18 years olds up against BYU’s post-Mission 25 year olds.

* BYU does not meet the Pac-10’s academic standards — it’s not a major research university. The Pac-10 CEOs consider Utah to be a much better academically, and the league won’t take both BYU and Utah; there aren’t enough TV homes in the state to make the numbers work.

I repeat: Utah and BYU isn’t happening, and BYU isn’t happening, unless everything blows up. And probably not even then. "

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... ung-issue/

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: More Anti-BYU Sentiment from the PAC-10

Post by Lawboy »

That whole 18 year old argument is so tired. But I guess it is ok to have the 18 year old freshman go up again the RS senior who is 23 at other schools. Stupid, really.

The rest is window dressing for excuses. The Big 12 will take us, but the PAC10 won;t. Big deal. I just hope the Big 12 makes a play for both BYU and Utah together and leaves the PAC10 hanging. If the Big 12 wanted both schools, there would be enormous political pressure in this state for those schools to go together as a package deal, I guarantee it.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Mars wrote: * The presidents and chancellors of the secular Pac-10 schools are wary of joining forces with a church-affiliated school (any church-affiliated school).

* As it moves forward, the Pac-10 wants to increase its scheduling flexibility to provide more broadcast opportunities for networks. BYU would decrease flexibility because it doesn’t play on Sundays.
These are the only two valid reason the Pac 10 won't add BYU....it's prejudice

http://www.washington.edu/tools/universities.html

according to this website, BYU is a premier research institute. I work in the office of research at BYU right now and can tell you that last year we had over $31 million worth of new research projects awarded and are on track to beat that this year.

As far as academics go, saying we're not as good as Utah is the biggest joke of all. Look at every college ranking list from US News or the Princeton review and BYU is way higher than Utah. Our Business, Law and Accounting programs are among the best in the nation. An article came out just a few weeks ago saying that BYU is 7th in the nation in undergraduates that go on to get doctorates.

I don't care what any Pac 10 big whig says, the reasons they don't want BYU are far more sinister and prejudice than the fake reasons they give.

ridiculous :angry:

nc-puma
Gray Shirt

Post by nc-puma »

Come on now, BYU's exclusion from the pac10 has nothing to do with BYU's research. That's ridiculous. What's also ridiculous is trying to claim that BYU is a "premier" research school. 30 million in funding is not much for a school that large. The U pulls in just under 400 million. Boise State pulls in something like 8-9 million so we're closer to BSU than the U in that regard. I love BYU but let's not get crazy.. BYU is a topnotch undergrad institution whose academic standards and rigor would put them near the top of the pac10. I think we can be satisfied with that.
tmoney35 wrote:
Mars wrote: * The presidents and chancellors of the secular Pac-10 schools are wary of joining forces with a church-affiliated school (any church-affiliated school).

according to this website, BYU is a premier research institute. I work in the office of research at BYU right now and can tell you that last year we had over $31 million worth of new research projects awarded and are on track to beat that this year.

As far as academics go, saying we're not as good as Utah is the biggest joke of all. Look at every college ranking list from US News or the Princeton review and BYU is way higher than Utah. Our Business, Law and Accounting programs are among the best in the nation. An article came out just a few weeks ago saying that BYU is 7th in the nation in undergraduates that go on to get doctorates.

I don't care what any Pac 10 big whig says, the reasons they don't want BYU are far more sinister and prejudice than the fake reasons they give.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Standard. It will never change. The bias, the back room whispering - S.O.P. It' life. Don't care. We will never really be accepted. Who cares. We'll do out talking on the field.
8)

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Why WOULD Washington, UCLA, Oregon St, etc. want to face BYU on a yearly basis?

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Italics wrote:Why WOULD Washington, UCLA, Oregon St, etc. want to face BYU on a yearly basis?
Because it would make them more $$$?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

nc-puma wrote:Come on now, BYU's exclusion from the pac10 has nothing to do with BYU's research. That's ridiculous. What's also ridiculous is trying to claim that BYU is a "premier" research school. 30 million in funding is not much for a school that large. The U pulls in just under 400 million. Boise State pulls in something like 8-9 million so we're closer to BSU than the U in that regard. I love BYU but let's not get crazy.. BYU is a topnotch undergrad institution whose academic standards and rigor would put them near the top of the pac10. I think we can be satisfied with that.
tmoney35 wrote:

BYU should have gone with the med school instead of the law school. Law, business and accounting are not high-research subjects; they are very practical avenues (when was the last time you read of a new breakthrough in accounting?). I love BYU. It's one of, if not the toughest school, for incoming freshmen to get into, but I have to call a spade a spade and BYU is not a theory driven school. A lot of the funding goes to engineering disciplines, not biology, psychology, anthropology, etc.

That said not all the schools in the Pac 10 are the beacons of higher learning they claim to be. Bottom line, BYU will be excluded because of our religion, especially given the current political climate. There are a lot of Pac 10 alumni that would stop writing checks as a display of their dissatisfaction with BYU being in the conference. No way we get an invite from the Pac 10, and quite frankly, I prefer not associating BYU with the lot of them.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel