Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay Drew

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay Drew

Post by Wickchad »

Hans Olson is saying on the radio this morning that he has been told directly by Harvey that he is not coming back to BYU.

I don't see anything official from the newspapers yet. Jay Drew blogged last night that there wasn't anything official about Harvey:

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p ... &tb=1&pb=1

I would assume that Hans Olson wouldn't be making this up and as he states his source is directly from Harvey I assume this is a done deal.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 AM.

Post by snoscythe »

Jay Drew has confirmed with BYU that the soonest Harvey is eligible to re-enroll in January, so his playing days are effectively over. The end of an era.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay

Post by Lawboy »

He was going to be gone after 2010 anyway, and the program has upgraded talent and speed at the position--just in time, it appears. His loss will be felt because of his experience, which will be much needed this season. I think 2010 will be a big youth movement for the Cougars. Until I see what Q and maybe Philips can do, not sure how much this hurts us, but I do know that Harvey was head and shoulders above JJ and Kariya.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I can tell you that this hurts a lot. I am ticked. BYU is lame. Seriously, ruin his career over this. Is there no compassion? And spare me all the crap that I know I will get in response. They can punish him without ruining his career just fine. let him repent with his bishop, but to keep him from re enrolling in school after what he has done to this point for the football team is stupid. That is just my opinion.

I am not happy about this. It makes me annoyed to be a BYU fan. I know I know BYU is about more than football....blah blah. I got it. I understand why they did it. I just don't agree with it and think its overly extreme.

PurpleReign
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by PurpleReign »

Is his loss a big one for your season, or is there a comparable back behind him that can get the same production?

"All I saw was purple. No jerseys, no numbers, just purple." - Todd Marinovich, USC QB, about the University of Washington defense following a 31-0 loss on September 22nd, 1990.
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

jonnylingo wrote:I can tell you that this hurts a lot. I am ticked. BYU is lame. Seriously, ruin his career over this. Is there no compassion? And spare me all the crap that I know I will get in response. They can punish him without ruining his career just fine. let him repent with his bishop, but to keep him from re enrolling in school after what he has done to this point for the football team is stupid. That is just my opinion.

I am not happy about this. It makes me annoyed to be a BYU fan. I know I know BYU is about more than football....blah blah. I got it. I understand why they did it. I just don't agree with it and think its overly extreme.
The most frustrating thing is that it appears he's fighting as hard as he can to come back. I don't understand how denying him helps the matter one single bit, but whatever.

But ANYWHO - As much as I agree with you, it's probably not best to bring this topic back up. Oh, and prepare to be vilified for your comments.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
AmmonCougar1
Sophomore

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

PurpleReign wrote:Is his loss a big one for your season, or is there a comparable back behind him that can get the same production?
I look at it from the 'glass half-full' perspective. That is: We beat OU without him and we have a stable full of backs that UW and others will not have any (much) game film on. While we'll miss him for the bruiser he was it seems we will have a RB by committee with a bunch of very quick and fast guys coming out of the backfield.

We lost Collie and found a way to not 'miss him too much'. Granted we had Max and Harvey and Pitta...ok, yes we'll miss Harvey but over the course of the season I predict it won't be as much as others my think.

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

PurpleReign wrote:Is his loss a big one for your season, or is there a comparable back behind him that can get the same production?
There is a true freshman, Josh Quezada, that we hope will give us the same strengths that Unga brought. But I don't think anyone is expecting him to produce in 2010 at the same level as Unga would have as a senior.

So I guess in answer to your question, no there isn't another running back that will give us the same production this season. Look for a lot of running back by committee until someone establishes themselves as the key ball carrier.

Jonnylingo - I have your back. I'm in the camp that believes the honor code shouldn't apply to football players (at least for stuff that wouldn't get you kicked out of other schools...) The personalities required to be dominant on the football field aren't necessarily in line with those of people who can give a good fireside. I will never agree with trading wins for having players that suck but make good missionaries. Just teach these kids how to be good individuals. Don't hold them to a higher standard than you would most other students (which I believe they are doing here to Harvey). I realize the internet and 24 hour sports talk radio have changed things, but under LaVel this would have all been handled internally and no one would have ever known about it. I don't think that anyone would say that LaVel didn't do things the right way.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

"BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins told me this morning that Unga will not be allowed back in school until January of 2011 at the earliest.
She said that BYU’s dean of students, Vern Heperi, made the decision after considering Unga’s application for readmission."

Vern, I am officially taking you off my Christmas card list. You will probably be awarded an honorary membership to the Crimson Club however...

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

This frickin' sucks! Big time!

I know we have depth at RB, but this just truly sucks!

This honor code thing boggles my mind...