Chip Bown Tweeting that TT, OU, OSU, and UT to Pac 10

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Chip Bown Tweeting that TT, OU, OSU, and UT to Pac 10

Post by Florwood »

BYUgrad03 wrote: One could look to the Arkansas move to the SEC back in the early 90's. They have a good season here and there, but nothing consistent enough to be proud of.
118-88 (2 ties), Three divisional championships, no conference championships, 3-7 bowl record in the 18 years they've been a part of the SEC

BYU in the same time frame?

150-75, eight conference championships, 5-7 bowl record

BYUgrad03
BLUEshirt

Post by BYUgrad03 »

craigoscarson wrote:
gmj81 wrote:Yeah?... well, where was chip on the BSU realignment. Puh, shows how much he knows!
Chip has been all over the place.... he's simply tweeting the most and getting a lot of attention. I do think that the Austin Statesma hs a ton more credibility and they're saying the same thing now.
The guy has been pretty incredible considering. I'm sure a lot more people now about Chip Brown than they did before this last week.

BYUgrad03
BLUEshirt

Post by BYUgrad03 »

Florwood wrote:
BYUgrad03 wrote: One could look to the Arkansas move to the SEC back in the early 90's. They have a good season here and there, but nothing consistent enough to be proud of.
118-88 (2 ties), Three divisional championships, no conference championships, 3-7 bowl record in the 18 years they've been a part of the SEC

BYU in the same time frame?

150-75, eight conference championships, 5-7 bowl record
So what should we take from this?

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if Chip's "source" was a higher-up in the UT organization, releasing info to Chip and pulling his strings (he's a puppet) to control how things are going on in the expansion landscape. Only problem seems to be, as yet no one is buying it.

I still don't think the Big XII South joins the Pac-x. It just doesn't make much sense no matter how you look at it.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

gmj81 wrote:Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if Chip's "source" was a higher-up in the UT organization, releasing info to Chip and pulling his strings (he's a puppet) to control how things are going on in the expansion landscape. Only problem seems to be, as yet no one is buying it.

I still don't think the Big XII South joins the Pac-x. It just doesn't make much sense no matter how you look at it.
Yhe Austin papers are saying the same thing though...

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

I'm sure they're using him as their source. Everyone else is.

Seriously, try to find a story anywhere that hasn't originated in some form from Chip's tweets.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Exactly. It all goes back to orangebloods.com. Chip is THE source for all of this. If he is wrong, the house of cards falls. But if he is right, Tuesday will be a huge day. I hope he is being played like a fiddle.

BYUgrad03
BLUEshirt

Post by BYUgrad03 »

Lawboy wrote:Exactly. It all goes back to orangebloods.com. Chip is THE source for all of this. If he is wrong, the house of cards falls. But if he is right, Tuesday will be a huge day. I hope he is being played like a fiddle.
That's an entertaining thought. He has been incredible up to this point, but what if...Texas goes to the Big 10, or somewhere else? What would he be remembered for? All that he got right, or the BIG ole whiff at the end?

PurpleReign
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by PurpleReign »

Texas will either stay in the B12 or go to the P10, no other option makes any sense at all. The SEC is locked into a TV contract, already has tons of competition, and are all low-tier schools for academics, something UT cares about.

The Big10 is simply too far away, UT would be an outpost school and they don't want to do that. They are closer geography wise to the P10, than they are to the SEC or B10. And quite honestly, Austin is closer culturally to the Pac10 than the SEC.

My bet is Texas and the other four either stay in the Big 12 or they join the PAC 16, there is really no other option unless they side with their own ego and go Independent like Notre Dame LOL.

"All I saw was purple. No jerseys, no numbers, just purple." - Todd Marinovich, USC QB, about the University of Washington defense following a 31-0 loss on September 22nd, 1990.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

PurpleReign wrote:Texas will either stay in the B12 or go to the P10, no other option makes any sense at all. The SEC is locked into a TV contract, already has tons of competition, and are all low-tier schools for academics, something UT cares about.

The Big10 is simply too far away, UT would be an outpost school and they don't want to do that. They are closer geography wise to the P10, than they are to the SEC or B10. And quite honestly, Austin is closer culturally to the Pac10 than the SEC.

My bet is Texas and the other four either stay in the Big 12 or they join the PAC 16, there is really no other option unless they side with their own ego and go Independent like Notre Dame LOL.
If you are measuring geography by states, then yes, UT is closer to the PAC-10 than the others, but UT is just as close to the University of Nebraska (the nearest Big 10 school) as they are to the University of Arizona (the nearest PAC 10 school. What's more, most of the Big 10 schools are closer than Los Angeles, and even the farthest Big 10 school, PSU, is 30% closer than the farthest Pac10 school, UW.

The SEC is even closer to home. Fans can get from Austin to the nearest SEC campus in less than 9 hours (Arkansas) as opposed to over 14 hours to the nearest Pac-10 school (Arizona). The farthest SEC campus is Lexington, KY at 16.5 hours away--closer to Austin than all PAC-10 schools except Arizona and Arizona State (yes, it's even closer to Austin than CU).

Culturally, I agree with you that UT is a left-wing fortress, but geographically, you need a new atlas.