Could the Mtn. survive?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
StatsCougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Could the Mtn. survive?

Post by StatsCougar »

After all the talk of expansion, and our hope that BYU might end up in the Big XII, and I was wondering if the mtn could survive BYU leaving the conference. I think everyone in the conference would agree that BYU has the largest fanbase, and most of the commericals on the mtn are for the population of state of Utah, and many are focused the mormon community. If BYU left, even if Utah stayed, I doubt the sponsers would stay. If they did stay, they would put in as much money as they currently do. The mtn would not stay in the black, assuming that it currently is. If Utah, BYU and Air Force left, I don't think their is any comminbations that could save that television station.

Your Thoughts?

YBrit
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Could the Mtn. survive?

Post by YBrit »

If BYU left who would the Mtn, or conference have to hate and bias against? Without BYU they wouldn't have anyone to hate, and teams wouldn't have anyone to want to beat more than anything.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

okay, now the question is: will the Mtn survive with the subtraction of the Utah viewers and the addition of the BSU viewers?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

patience is our friend here. I still like our chances in teh Big 12 in the next year or so. they need 12 teams. Every other power conference (sorry Big Least, you are not one) now has 12 teams, so the pressure will be on t Big 12 to actually get 12 teams. Odds are that those teams will be BYU and Memphis. Apparently Memphis brings a big FedEx deal...

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Lawboy wrote:patience is our friend here. I still like our chances in teh Big 12 in the next year or so. they need 12 teams. Every other power conference (sorry Big Least, you are not one) now has 12 teams, so the pressure will be on t Big 12 to actually get 12 teams. Odds are that those teams will be BYU and Memphis. Apparently Memphis brings a big FedEx deal...
I agree, they can't hold out forever. Plus you can add in the fact that the Big 12 championship game will be played inside Jerry's Billion dollar stadium so you can bet there is some pressure there.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:okay, now the question is: will the Mtn survive with the subtraction of the Utah viewers and the addition of the BSU viewers?
Yes because the MTN already has the SLC market tied up and will be adding the Boise Market.

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

blue42 wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:okay, now the question is: will the Mtn survive with the subtraction of the Utah viewers and the addition of the BSU viewers?
Yes because the MTN already has the SLC market tied up and will be adding the Boise Market.
Exactly. The SLC market is owned by BYU. If BYU and Utah were playing at the same time against 2 different opponents on 2 different TV networks who would have the higher ratings in the SLC market?

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall