Does BYU have a National Following?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Does BYU have a National Following?

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:
tripwire wrote:
Mars wrote:
tripwire wrote: living in Texas I can say that in the entire time I have lived here I think I have met one other BYU fan.
You obviously missed the OU game. ;)
Yes I did, and I will regret it forever. I found out the day before that they were selling standing room only tickets for something like $25. I was so close to making the 3 hour drive to Dallas but decided against it. I figured I would be able to see the game better on my HDTV, which I am sure was true. But, man would I have loved to be there with other fans rather than screaming alone in my house with my indifferent wife in the other room.
You forget that had you paid for the standing room only ticket, you could have watched it on Jerry's HDTV--which blows away any other TV you could have possibly watched the game on. I was there, only about 30 rows up, and I had a hard time remembering to watch the game on the field because I was just in awe of the TV.
I think there are a lot of BYU fans in Big 12 country; they're just spread out (like my family in Kansas City)

My wife and I sat behind the Buckner and Collie families at the OU game and had the time of our lives. I suspect that even more BYU fans would have been at the game if Jerry and OU hadn't hijacked 80% of the tickets long before gameday.(BYU didnt' get close to a fair allotment; they treated it like an OU game in Norman)

I was also at the 96 Cotton Bowl and BYU fans were numerous there too (in fact there were about 500 missionaries or more in attendance too).,..

on another note: I was at the Cowboys game where Emmitt Smith broke the all time rushing record vs Seattle and I didn't notice a lot of BYU fans, but everyone was wearing blue... so who knows.... ;)

The wife and I have already made plans to be at the Texas=BYU game in '11.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

There are tons of BYU fans in Texas. We routinely get a few recruits from Texas every year. And while there aren't quite as many as on the west coast, there are a still a bunch of LDS members in Texas too. While I recognize that not every LDS member is a "BYU fan" per se, many are alumni even if not "football fans" and would associate with the Cougars more than any other team.

In '97, BYU played at Rice, and as I recall, there were a bunch of BYU fans there, at least initially. It ended up raining most of the game which probably chased off a few fans from both sides. That was the last time I lived in a place other than Provo but I would imagine that the Church still "organizes" groups to attend a BYU football game when they are in town as they did then. There are also quite a few BYU alumni association chapters that organize a lot of the "local" support for BYU at away games like in '08 up in Seattle.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

I've followed the Cougs around the Nation.

I guess that's 1.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

If you ever listen to a post-game KSL Cougar Call in Show you'd know that not only does BYU have a national following but an international one as well. Lots of ex-pats all over the world. Military BYU grads as well. KSL has enabled a world-wide following by their streaming of the games on the internet.