2010: Another great year upon us.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2010: Another great year upon us.

Post by Schmoe »

Italics wrote:okay I know I'm gonna get HOUNDED for saying this - but does this make anyone else sort of question Clawson's love/passion for football? And I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing... I'm just thinking: if I were a college football player and I had a good shot at making millions in the NFL, I'm fairly certain the last thing on my mind would be selling security systems so I could continue to pursue an education... UNLESS, of course, I didn't really enjoy football that much.
Again, not a bad thing if it's the case, just surprising I guess.
Maybe it just says that he's more passionate about other things, not that he's not passionate about football. And let's take a step back and understand that Clawson was far from guaranteed millions and a spot playing in the NFL, it was going to be a long and painful process travelling to different camps and trying to make a roster, just to get the minimum and get beat up on a practice squad.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Great year for BYU? Probably pretty good.

Great year for the MWC? TCU, Boise State- Yes.
UNLV, New Mexico, SDSU, CSU, Wyoming?... http://www.ktvb.com/community/blogs/sco ... 38979.html

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I read a few months ago before the draft that he quit football because he has a medical condition serious enough that he didn't want to manage it to play in the NFL. I think it was Diabetes ore something. Had nothing to do with selling security systems or finishing college.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/7/12/ ... #storyjump
BYU in a rare position would be fourth this year by my super early predictions. They play a toss up game with Washington, and most likely loses at Florida State, at TCU, at Utah, and possibly at Air Force. This is the year to see what Bronco Mendenhall can do as a coach since in all the big games he will be outmanned. Bronco and his staff is known for not making adjustments, but this is the year to start.
Includes the whole conference.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Blue Ribbon Preview-MWC
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/7/13/ ... #storyjump
Blue Ribbons Analysis on BYU:

BYU has finished no lower than third in the MWC under Mendenhall and has won 11 games three of the last four years. One would think having to replace players like Hall, Pitta, Unga, Jorgensen and Clawson that the Cougars might stumble.

Maybe, but all indications are BYU will be fine. Much of this will depend on quarterback play, but as long as the offensive line remains healthy, there are enough weapons around whoever plays quarterback to let them ease into the transition.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

frdbtr wrote:I read a few months ago before the draft that he quit football because he has a medical condition serious enough that he didn't want to manage it to play in the NFL. I think it was Diabetes ore something. Had nothing to do with selling security systems or finishing college.
Combination of diabetes and concussions.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... r-football

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Italics wrote: does this make anyone else sort of question Clawson's love/passion for football? And I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing... I'm just thinking: if I were a college football player and I had a good shot at making millions in the NFL, I'm fairly certain the last thing on my mind would be selling security systems so I could continue to pursue an education... UNLESS, of course, I didn't really enjoy football that much.
Open mouth, insert foot.

" The plan is come back to BYU later this year, work with the Cougars' strength staff in the fall and eventually get his master's in exercise physiology. There is no guilt over Bradford's injury, just a nagging ache deep in his competitive psyche. It hurts not to be able to hit someone anymore forever. There was an option to play professionally -- agents were calling -- but Clawson didn't follow up. His wife, Breanna, and young daughter Chesni need him healthy. Other athletes have played with diabetes. It requires discipline, a quality not unknown to football players. As an athlete, Clawson had to check his blood sugar levels eight times a day and inject himself with insulin before every meal. "It got hard sometimes," he said, "because I was always trying to put on weight. How much insulin you take is a little unpredictable." The concussions were just as unpredictable. Clawson estimates he has suffered a few of them. He would come to the sidelines disoriented or, even worse, be on the field in a fog. Trainers would hold him out of practice. The good: "I never lost my memory or anything." The bad: In half his games in 2008, Clawson said he was "dizzy for an entire series." "

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

scott715 wrote:Blue Ribbon Preview-MWC
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/7/13/ ... #storyjump
Blue Ribbons Analysis on BYU:

BYU has finished no lower than third in the MWC under Mendenhall and has won 11 games three of the last four years. One would think having to replace players like Hall, Pitta, Unga, Jorgensen and Clawson that the Cougars might stumble.

Maybe, but all indications are BYU will be fine. Much of this will depend on quarterback play, but as long as the offensive line remains healthy, there are enough weapons around whoever plays quarterback to let them ease into the transition.
I don't get why everybody in sports media is so down on BYU this year, and wondering if Bronco Mendenhall really can just reload a team or not. 2007 just called and wonders why you have forgotten so soon. We had to replace Beck, Harline, Coats, Brown, Meikle, and Zac Collie on offense, and Jensen, Wagner, Robinson, and Paongo on defense. That's the #2 all-time passer, the #1 all-time rusher, two excellent tight ends, the heart and soul of our LBs, and left us with a lot of young guys on the DL. This year, it's very similar: we lose the #2 all-time passer, the #1 all-time rusher, two excellent tight ends, most of our starting LBs, and we have a lot of inexperience at DL. In 2007, we won the conference and went 11-2. In 2010, we have a much more stable situation in terms of our coaching and schemes and a lot more talent coming in or coming back. I see no reason we don't reload and keep rolling. Here's how I see our schedule:

Washington: no way they beat us at home. I just don't think they're good enough yet to pose that kind of challenge at home. WIN.

@Air Force: Bronco has never lost to Air Force as a head coach. And he's never scored less than 31 points against them. A well-disciplined defense with fast linebackers like we should have should never give up that many points to them. I see no reason they'll be able to beat us. WIN.

@Florida State: This is going to be rough. Ponder destroyed us last year. Now we're at their place. In September. It's going to be hot, humid, and nasty. Our best hope is that we learn our lesson from last year, and that the coaching change sets them back a bit. Or that they continue to be a Jekyll-Hyde team like last year and we get the version that lost to Jacksonville State. LOSS.

Nevada: We get them at home. They have to rebuild their defense. WIN.

@Utah State: They are Utah State. WIN.

San Diego State: We are at home, and I don't think they will have turned the corner with their football program yet - if they ever do. WIN.

@TCU: The losses on defense notwithstanding, this game scares me. It's at their place, and they have owned us on both sides of the ball in the last two years. Our best hope here is that we can change things up enough to make them uncomfortable (i.e., maybe throw at least ONE screen pass this year to throw off the blitz? Please?) and make them play outside their game plan. It would be hard to expect the sheer level of awesomeness we got from Beck in '06 from our QB, whoever he is, at this point. LOSS.

Wyoming: Wyoming has been outscored 99-7 in their last two trips to Provo. And that 7 was against the 2's on defense. WIN.

UNLV: We're at home, and Gary Crowton is no longer coaching us. WIN.

@Colorado State: Steve Fairchild has yet to demonstrate his team can play on the same level as Bronco's BYU teams. WIN.

New Mexico: Maybe New Mexico can turn things around from 1-11 and win some games. This game in November in Provo won't be one of them. WIN.

@Utah: With Utah's losses on all sides of the ball, I think they have more to replace than we do. And they aren't due for a really good team that's capable of beating us until 2012. ;) Really though, while the Utes have shown they can put it together one year out of four, they haven't been nearly as consistent as BYU. Plus, I think this is the year we finally get up for the game and give them a proper send off to the PAC-0, in blowout fashion. WIN.

Bowl: By this time, all our inexperience should be long gone, on offense and defense. WIN.

Summary: 11-2, nationally ranked. Same song, next verse. :evil:

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

That would be awesome. This is the year to see if Bronco can consistently reload. These are his recruits that he will be plugging in. If we get 11-2 that should solidify his reputation.

PS I hope the conference beats up on Utah.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

scott715 wrote:PS I hope the conference beats up on Utah.
Me too, it raises a couple of questions. Will everyone in the conference have Utah as the team they most want to beat this year, instead of BYU? And will that be enough to translate to a couple additional losses this year?