bad BYU fans

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

bad BYU fans

Post by BYULV »

I live down here in Vegas and get a constant barrage of anti-BYU sentiment, a lot of it from LDS UNLV fans. They seem to have an unnatural hatred toward anything BYU, especially toward the fans. Many of them have stories about how terrible they have been treated by BYU fans on one occasion or other. This is kind of ironic coming from UNLV faithful. I just don't see these mean spirited BYU fans. Am I just too blue-goggled or not going to home games enough? I know we have our idiot fans, but have you guys witnessed many true abuses from BYU fans?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by BYULV on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CougarClaw
Pro

Re: bad BYU fans

Post by CougarClaw »

I think there are plenty of fans who want to make their own home-court "the 12 man" on the field or make it one of the "worst places to play" because it wins games.

But what it really comes down to is all it takes to ruin a reputation is ONE bad fan or one good fan on one BAD day. I've certainly yelled my fair share of non-niceties during games.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

CougarClaw wrote:But what it really comes down to is all it takes to ruin a reputation is ONE bad fan or one good fan on one BAD day.
My experience is that this is true at RES too. It bothers me to hear all your stories about how bad it is at RES although I believe you.

I wish things were spirited but not nasty. It's embarrassing.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

As far as opposing fans are concerned, I'm the nicest guy in the world you'll ever meet in person. I'm incredibly loud cheering for my team though.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

There was a poll not too long ago that had BYU as the second best fans in the conference behind AFA. I think people look for a reason to get offended, especially LDS fans of other schools so that they can further justify not being BYU fans.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

sometimes people hate BYU because they secretly hate the church, or sometimes not so secretly. I've found it's true even in member circles. The guy badmouthing the bishop, EQ prez, R.S. surprise surprise, they hate BYU too.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

People always hate the fans of the team that beats them all the time. Fellow Air Force colleagues dislike BYU because the academy always loses.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

MTM wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:But what it really comes down to is all it takes to ruin a reputation is ONE bad fan or one good fan on one BAD day.
My experience is that this is true at RES too. It bothers me to hear all your stories about how bad it is at RES although I believe you.

As I am sure there are a few crass people at LES. Good to have you over here by the way, MTM.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

kiwibacon wrote:
MTM wrote:

As I am sure there are a few crass people at LES. Good to have you over here by the way, MTM.

I appreciate that.

I came here to see how the other half lives so to speak. It's interesting to me to try to understand people and group dynamics.

Depending on what happens on November 27 I may stop posting here forever but until then... :lol:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I am all for loud cheering for your team, yelling, screaming or anything like that, but i hate it when it gets personal toward opposing fans or players. One thing i do hate about some byu fans is when they boo our own team or coaches. These guys are young men doing the best they can and noone ever deserves that kind of treatment from their own fans (unless we decided to kick onside while up by 40- then i'll join in the booing).

Unlv fans I still think are the worst...to the point I hesitate taking my kids to the games. They are just nasty, rude and vulgar. Surprisingly, they make Utah fans look very hospitable in comparison. San Diego fans just seem clueless, uninformed and silly. Nothing too harmful except one guy who was drunk and got into verbal attacks with my then 7 year old and his 7 year old cousin... Our boys put that guy in his place and embarrassed him in front of the girls he was with. The girls were actually high-fiving the kids whenever they had a good comeback to their drunk friends. It was pretty humurous.

Tcu fans were pretty classy when I went out there to a game, but of course they killed us. I've never been to the rest of the mwc for games so not sure how their fans are. Ucla fans were mostly decent although uninformed/clueless.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image