bad BYU fans

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: bad BYU fans

Post by MTM »

kitic77 wrote: You seem to be implying that the rate of incidence here at BYU is no different than elsewhere and I utterly reject that notion.
I don't know if it is or isn't, and I don't know how to prove or disprove that, nor do I feel the need to.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

MTM wrote:
kitic77 wrote: You seem to be implying that the rate of incidence here at BYU is no different than elsewhere and I utterly reject that notion.
I don't know if it is or isn't, and I don't know how to prove or disprove that, nor do I feel the need to.
There probably isn't any way to prove it one way or the other except through personal experience. If you're willing to believe that BYU fans are as bad as other fans, then you clearly haven't been to Lavell Edwards Stadium or the Marriott Center much and haven't traveled to opposing venues to experience those atmospheres much either.

You are arguing against an experience of which you have apparently have no first hand knowledge.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

What constitutes a bad fan? I once made another BYU fan cry at a game because she asked us to "tone it down."

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

kitic, that's my whole point. The entire argument is subjective. There is no way to measure it.

So in the absence of an agreeable way to settle it everyone can just believe what they want.

I think no less of anyone who believes differently than I do.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

At RES, I for one can't help myself. I just get so mad.

All I see is red.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Common sense would agree with kitic, but common sense isn't common either.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

MTM wrote:
BYULV wrote:
MTM wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
Wow, the other eight MWC schools don't like BYU? Huh, who'd a thunk it?!

This poll proves nothing other than the rest of the conference doesn't like BYU.
I didn't say it "proves" anything. But it supports what I said before. Sweeping generalizations are for small minded people (did I just make one? :lol: ).

Most groups are going to have good and bad factions among them and to label the whole group based on the actions of a small number is wrong. Like it or not we're all pretty much the same.

There is NO way "We're all pretty much the same." I agree there are a small number of bad BYU fans out there that are an embarrassment to all, but there are far more horrible Utah and UNLV fans - it doesn't even come close.
That's your opinion and that is valid.

The fan poll doesn't suggest that, however.
Actually, the fan poll does suggest we are different than the rest of the MWC:

It may have us as one of the rudest, however, in light of all the questions it is likely not rudeness of fans that is being measure so much as envy or jealousy. BYU is listed as the #1 rival overall in the MWC. Only CSU and Wyo list each other as main rivals and every other team lists us as their main rival and it's not even close. How many teams feel their rival's fanbase is not rude. BYU on the otherhand nearly exclusively lists :utard: as their sole rival and therefore does not have any rival bias except toward :utard: .

Favorite stadium to visit = BYU.

Most polite? BYU is always top #1 or #2 (except as rated by the :utard: - and who cares what they think).

The only way this poll means anything when the most polite fans and the rudest fans come from the same school is that those "Rival" fans doing the rating must be projecting something other than fan rudeness into the results. I still think BYU is substantially different than the rest of the MWC (although I was pleasantly treated at TCU and haven't been to all venues.)

P.S. Couple of years ago I went to the UNLV thumping of :utard: down here in LV - seeing those to fanbases go at each other was hysterical. They'd yell back and forth for 10-15 mins then someone would start pushing and a fight would break out. Security calms things down, kicks a few people out and then it all starts over again. I can't repeat here most of what was being said in their arguments.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I will, and have, taken my wife to games at many different stadiums, however, I will never take her to Laramie or RES, the abuse I've seen there is far and above what is reasonably acceptable.

fifthqb
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by fifthqb »

My brother came with me to the BYU-Utah game last year at Lavell Edwards stadium. He graduated from Utah and is a major fan of the University, but really just wanted to see good football. He took his beatings from the crowd. I also remember going to a game at RES when I was younger. I watched a cougar fan come up behind a Utah fan that was being rather obnoxious (not obscene) and deck him in the back of the head, and punched him while he was down. My sister also played in the Utah band and was shocked at the things that were yelled/thrown at her as they were lining up to play at halftime in LES. While I am a BYU fan myself, and currently attending the school, I have a hard time setting BYU fans on a much higher plane then most.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

fifthqb wrote:My brother came with me to the BYU-Utah game last year at Lavell Edwards stadium. He graduated from Utah and is a major fan of the University, but really just wanted to see good football. He took his beatings from the crowd. I also remember going to a game at RES when I was younger. I watched a cougar fan come up behind a Utah fan that was being rather obnoxious (not obscene) and deck him in the back of the head, and punched him while he was down. My sister also played in the Utah band and was shocked at the things that were yelled/thrown at her as they were lining up to play at halftime in LES. While I am a BYU fan myself, and currently attending the school, I have a hard time setting BYU fans on a much higher plane then most.

did he literally take a beating or was he verbally harrassed? Giving the oponent a hard time is one thing, getting into physical scuffles, being vulgar or engaging in personal attacks I think cross the line.