Locker 65-68% Completions?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
PurpleReign
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Locker 65-68% Completions?

Post by PurpleReign »

That had nothing to do with who hit him and everything to do with the manner in which he landed on the ground.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"All I saw was purple. No jerseys, no numbers, just purple." - Todd Marinovich, USC QB, about the University of Washington defense following a 31-0 loss on September 22nd, 1990.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Italics »

PurpleReign wrote:That had nothing to do with who hit him and everything to do with the manner in which he landed on the ground.

You're using foolish logic in your last two posts.

You claim Locker is not "injury-prone." Are his arms, legs, and shoulders made of cast-iron steal or something?

No quarterback is exempt from the risk of being messed up by a good blow. In case you've not noticed, most college linebackers/linemen are huge - if they hit you hard enough and/or in the right place, it is going to injure you. Jake Locker is not so special that he's not going to be in for a world of hurt if a player like Pendleton slams into him.

And Jake Locker could be sacked and sandwiched between the ground and a BYU player the same way Sam Bradford was... why you seem to think otherwise is beyond me.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

PurpleReign wrote: Locker has survived hits from far tougher defenses (tOSU, LSU, USC, etc). He is NOT injury prone, that is an urban myth.
Locker himself will be fine. His thumb, though, is getting broke soon in Provo.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

PurpleReign wrote:Locker has survived hits from far tougher defenses (tOSU, LSU, USC, etc). He is NOT injury prone, that is an urban myth.

Didn't he miss most his sophomore year from an injury? A lot of quarterbacks go their whole college career without missing a game. (Tim Tebow, Max Hall) Should have left off that last sentance.

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

I don't think the question is whether or not these goals are attainable. The question is why would they not set those goals? Any team that is serious about winning will have these same goals.

The 3 to 1 ratio is standard. Everyone everywhere will tell you the same thing. How often it happens is another story, but that is their goal.

The 65-68 completion percentage, that is where the game has headed. 15-20 years ago a good quarterback was completing 60-65, but now 65-68 is becoming commonplace.

Basically, Sark is saying our goal is for Locker to be what we are purporting he is to the media as a heisman trophy candidate, and for him to meet the projections as the number one pick in the next NFL draft.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think it's doable. Locker has plenty of talent, and he finally has a coach that is willing to develop his arm instead of drawing the playbook around his legs.

To reach Sark's goals, he has to improve 7% in accuracy over last year (58% last year), and better his TD-INT ratio by 50% (21/11 last year).

It's not going to be easy, but goals aren't supposed to be easy. I think he'll hit the % goal, but he'll probably throw just one or two picks too many.

I just hope that the BYU coaches and defense aren't as naive and myopic in their game-planning as many of the BYU fans are.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Y12 wrote:I don't think the question is whether or not these goals are attainable. The question is why would they not set those goals? Any team that is serious about winning will have these same goals.

The 3 to 1 ratio is standard. Everyone everywhere will tell you the same thing. How often it happens is another story, but that is their goal.

The 65-68 completion percentage, that is where the game has headed. 15-20 years ago a good quarterback was completing 60-65, but now 65-68 is becoming commonplace.

Basically, Sark is saying our goal is for Locker to be what we are purporting he is to the media as a heisman trophy candidate, and for him to meet the projections as the number one pick in the next NFL draft.
WINNER! When the coaches sit down with Locker each week to review film, they will do it with these goals in mind to grade him against. A high standard is what you want for a QB. I bet BYU has similar, if not exact, goals for the QB position. And I do not care if Locker has a good game, I just want to win. All that matters.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU QBs who have completed 65% or more of their passes with a 3:1 TD:INT ratio:
John Beck, 2006: 69.3%, 32:8
Steve Young, 1983: 70.3%, 33:10

BYU QBs who came close:
Brandon Doman, 2001: 64%, 33:8
Steve Sarkisian, 1996: 68.8%, 33:12
Ty Detmer, 1991: 61.8%, 35:12
Ty Detmer, 1989: 64.3%, 32:15
Robbie Bosco, 1984: 61.8%, 33:11
Jim McMahon, 1981: 64.3%, 30:7
Jim McMahon, 1980: 63.8%, 47:18

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

At the Big Blue Bash last year Brandon Doman talked about how they had identified 4:1 as the ultimate td to int ratio, and that if a team could hit that they'd be virtually unstoppable. Max also said that's what he was going for, but obviously he didn't make it and we still ended up pretty darn good.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

hawkwing wrote:At the Big Blue Bash last year Brandon Doman talked about how they had identified 4:1 as the ultimate td to int ratio, and that if a team could hit that they'd be virtually unstoppable. Max also said that's what he was going for, but obviously he didn't make it and we still ended up pretty darn good.

This probably includes fumbles and rushing TDs and is therefore higher. BYU is obviously more successful when their ratio is higher vs lower. I'm hoping for the 4:1 ratio as well. I don't mind if UW goes to a 1:4 ration against us. ;)