Day 2 QB Battle

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Day 2 QB Battle

Post by SpiffCoug »

One TD by the offense today. A TD pass from Nelson to DiLuigi. Here were the stats:

Day 2 Stats:
Heaps: 6-9-0-47, 0 TD, 110.53 rating, 66.7%complete.
Nelson: 10-17-0-139, 1 TD, 146.92 rating, 58.8%complete.

Fall Camp Stats:
Heaps: 14-22-0-161, 2TD, 155.11 rating, 63.6% complete, 2 TD drives, 1 FG drive.
Nelson: 15-25-0-188, 1 TD, 136.37 rating, 60.0% complete, 2 TD drives, 2 FG drives.

I'm giving both passing and scoring edges to Nelson today.

I've devised a little scoring system based on whom I'm giving scoring and passing edges to. Winning the passing day is worth 1 point; winning the scoring day is worth 1.25 points. I'm putting just a tad more emphasis on scoring, since that's what the offense needs to do.

So through two days, both QBs have 2.25 points.

If BYU were playing Washington tomorrow, I would name Heaps, since although Riley was better today, he wasn't as good as Jake was on Saturday.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mythranor
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Day 2 QB Battle

Post by Mythranor »

Let it be noted that according to Jay Drew's Twitter, Nelson was gonig against the 3rd string defense for at least part of his reps.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

Were the two qb's throwing against the same defense?

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Both went against various defenses. But looks like Nelson got at least one shot against the thirds. We don't know if he was also throwing to the third team receivers either. There's probably a lot of movement on the "teams" at this stage.

QBs just need reps right now wherever they can get them. There was also a fumble on one of Riley's series, so he stayed out there, I imagine the defense changed but the offense didn't at that point.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

ALso take note one of Harmon's tweets about Heaps:

"Heaps best pass of the day came in 7 on 7 when he threw a 60-yard bomb to Luke Ashworth. Didn't count in stats cause not in team situ"

Chambers also dropped a few today.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

urroner wrote:Were the two qb's throwing against the same defense?
Mythranor wrote:Let it be noted that according to Jay Drew's Twitter, Nelson was gonig against the 3rd string defense for at least part of his reps.
Because of the so many unknown variables, I think it fun to track the stats, but in the end I think that any of our speculation is just that. At least we have something to talk about in the off season.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Jan did say that Nelson threw against the 3rd defense several times. The TD to JJ was against the 3rd's he said. Jake got the first series and had several against the one's.

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

dmcougar wrote:Jan did say that Nelson threw against the 3rd defense several times. The TD to JJ was against the 3rd's he said. Jake got the first series and had several against the one's.
Wrubell noted that Nelsons TD pass was a short one where JJ ran the majority of the yards.
The only touchdown scored in the "team" sessions of practice came on a 60-yard connection from Riley Nelson to J.J. DiLuigi, who ran open down the seam and took it the distance, with most of the yards coming after the catch.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11929463

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I think the coaches will put a lot of weight into completion %. seems like Nelson should be getting consistently better than 60% in practice situations or it would be surprising to see him named the starter. This offense fuels off high percentage qbs and less Than 60% in practice will be death knell for Nelson if it doesn't improve soon.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

fifthqb
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by fifthqb »

Well at least they have said something about why the reps aren't even. "They are finishing off where they were at spring"?... what does that mean exactly? I guess it is going to force Lark or Munns to excel at the one pass they get to throw a day, to earn a second pass attempt two days later when they get to throw the ball again. Hard to imagine them getting in any sort of groove getting one series every other day.

Interesting to see that Nelson got most of the reps today, Tomorrow may be telling if Nelson continues to get the bulk of the reps, and/or lark and munns still don't get to throw.

I agree though, 60% completion in pratice against the 2nd-3rd string doesn't sound too promising.