UCLA Offered a BYU Missionary

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

UCLA Offered a BYU Missionary

Post by Mars »

" Prior to his return home, there was a rumor that consistently reared its head concerning Manumaleuna transferring to UCLA upon completing his mission. "UCLA ironically offered me a scholarship while I was on my mission," Manumaleuna said with a sheepish grin on his face. "It was kind of strange because I blocked the field goal in the Las Vegas Bowl game and then while I was out on my mission they offered me a scholarship… "I don't really know how that came about, but they contacted my parents. I didn't really talk to them, but they contacted some other member of my family and didn't really have any say in the matter to the [UCLA] coaches or anything. I just didn't talk to any of their coaches."

So, there was never any threat of Manumaleuna leaving the Cougars.. "You know, BYU was the place for me and where I need to be is here. There wasn't any doubt at all that I was coming back to BYU. First of all, my parents wouldn't have allowed me to not come back and I've always been loyal to my parents. They always know what's right. Also, because this is the Church's private school and the LDS atmosphere is the best. The coaching staff here at BYU is wonderful and the players are as well. Coach Mendenhall is such an awesome coach that there really isn't a reason why I would want to leave this place. This is the best place to be, except for maybe Oklahoma! No, I'm teasing." " http://byu.scout.com/2/990713.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: UCLA Offered a BYU Missionary

Post by Florwood »

With Nelson there was some controversy whether BYU had contacted his family first, and if so that was not legal. So is there something wrong on UCLA's part to being the contactor with the Manumaleuna family?

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Florwood wrote:With Nelson there was some controversy whether BYU had contacted his family first, and if so that was not legal. So is there something wrong on UCLA's part to being the contactor with the Manumaleuna family?
Tell the effing Bruins to leave our missionaries alone! YOU BASTARDS!

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

NCAA rule prohibits this now, so no worries in the future. If the player transfers, they lose a year, unlike before where free transfers happened all the time. We got Poppinga from USU as well, and Utah got Steve Tate from USU--both post mission. Those days are gone now. PAC-0 schools won't want to lose a year with these guys.

pjmuli
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by pjmuli »

33311710 wrote:
Florwood wrote:With Nelson there was some controversy whether BYU had contacted his family first, and if so that was not legal. So is there something wrong on UCLA's part to being the contactor with the Manumaleuna family?
Tell the effing Bruins to leave our missionaries alone! YOU BASTARDS!
LOL! I think you mean "BRUINS."