Hate the SEC

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Hate the SEC

Post by Schmoe »

How in the world is Auburn ranked? They haven't earned a spot in the top 25 in four years, they are having serious trouble with Miss St., and WE'RE not ranked!? I hate, Hate, HATE the media's love affair with the overhyped, overrated SEC.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Hate the SEC

Post by mizzoucoug »

Amen. This is an ugly game. A bunch of tall, quick athletes running around making the occasional spectacular play does not make you a top team. These teams represent the middle tier of the SEC. If you're telling me the powers in the West (BSU, BYU, Utah, TCU) couldn't compete for the SEC championship every year then you are smoking something. And that's not even including potential free W's vs Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Ole Miss. Yeah a lot of "beating each other up" going on down South!

ProV1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ProV1 »

ignore rankings until week 8. They are worthless until then and will only make you mad. Note: if ND gets to 4-0 they'll be top 10.

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

mizzoucoug wrote:Amen. This is an ugly game. A bunch of tall, quick athletes running around making the occasional spectacular play does not make you a top team. These teams represent the middle tier of the SEC. If you're telling me the powers in the West (BSU, BYU, Utah, TCU) couldn't compete for the SEC championship every year then you are smoking something. And that's not even including potential free W's vs Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Ole Miss. Yeah a lot of "beating each other up" going on down South!
The only true comparison comes in Bowl games. It's kind of hard to call a conference overrated that is 6-0 in BCS Championships and 14-5 in BCS Bowl Games. They know the formula and do it very well and they back it up on the field, not in some imaginary poll. You can say what ever you want about the SEC but you can't say they don't earn everything they get in not only BCS Bowls but every other bowl the conference plays in. You're definitely showing your green with envy goggles. The conference I have issues with is the Big 10. How does Ohio State start in the top 5 every year only to get their lunch handed to them by the SEC flavor of the year in the BCS NC game? When are the powers that be going to wake up and smell the crap that's coming out up there!!!

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville KY

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Sorry, I don't put as much stock in bowl games as everybody else does, it's just one more game. Also, what big bowl game has Auburn played in the last five years? Just because your good teams win their bowl games, doesn't mean that the rest of the conference deserves to be ranked. So yes, I can argue with bowl results.

PS--"Earn everything," REALLY? With OOC games vs FCS and Sunbelt teams, all at home? Gimme a break.
Last edited by Schmoe on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Metal Bubba »

KYCoug nailed it. Checkmate.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Schmoe wrote:How in the world is Auburn ranked? They haven't earned a spot in the top 25 in four years, they are having serious trouble with Miss St., and WE'RE not ranked!? I hate, Hate, HATE the media's love affair with the overhyped, overrated SEC.
That's why I'm cheering for Mississippi State. Granted - if they win - they'll probably be top 10 next week :P

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Metal Bubba wrote:KYCoug nailed it. Checkmate.

You're right, since Bama and Florida have won national championships, that means that a team who barely squeaks by Miss St. deserves to be ranked because they're in the same conference. Yeah, and you two have absolutely no bias of your own living in/near SEC country, right? :roll: ;)
Last edited by Schmoe on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

KYCoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:Amen. This is an ugly game. A bunch of tall, quick athletes running around making the occasional spectacular play does not make you a top team. These teams represent the middle tier of the SEC. If you're telling me the powers in the West (BSU, BYU, Utah, TCU) couldn't compete for the SEC championship every year then you are smoking something. And that's not even including potential free W's vs Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Ole Miss. Yeah a lot of "beating each other up" going on down South!
The only true comparison comes in Bowl games. It's kind of hard to call a conference overrated that is 6-0 in BCS Championships and 14-5 in BCS Bowl Games. They know the formula and do it very well and they back it up on the field, not in some imaginary poll. You can say what ever you want about the SEC but you can't say they don't earn everything they get in not only BCS Bowls but every other bowl the conference plays in. You're definitely showing your green with envy goggles. The conference I have issues with is the Big 10. How does Ohio State start in the top 5 every year only to get their lunch handed to them by the SEC flavor of the year in the BCS NC game? When are the powers that be going to wake up and smell the crap that's coming out up there!!!

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville KY
But you ask an SEC fan what Utah's beat down of Alabama counts for and they'll say "nothing." You can't have it both ways with single games determining quality. Is the top of the SEC the best? No doubt. But don't talk to me about how every game every week in the SEC is a tough affair. Tell me that you consider any of the teams I listed as perennial contenders in any major conference.

wildeone
Freshman

Post by wildeone »

Auburns qb(who was player of the game) 136 yards passing 2 tds, 70 yards rushing.
Nelson had those stats and he had half the snaps!!!!
Hahahahaahaha