Endorsement of Heaps or Indictment of Munns and Lark?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Endorsement of Heaps or Indictment of Munns and Lark?

Post by cougman »

Jake's numbers so far don't look so solid. Completing 53% (I guess it would be closer to 60% if we had anyone who could catch) at 4.8 yards per attempt and just 1 TD to 4 picks. Jordan Wynn completed 58% at 7.5 per attempt and had 8 TD's and 4 picks as a freshman. Is Bronco just going with him because he thinks/knows he'll be around next year and believes he'll develop into what we all hope and want? Or is this an indictment on Munns and Lark on how bad they are? With all the hype Munns had coming out of high school (see the picture of Munns in the middle standing next to Kellen Moore), I would have thought we might have at least had a look at him at this point. Has anyone seen him in practice?
Munns Moore.jpg
I'm not trying to bail on Jake, but this offense is borderline unwatchable whenever they try and throw. I hope Jake gets a little help from his WR's and TE's or Munns or Lark get a shot.

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Endorsement of Heaps or Indictment of Munns and Lark?

Post by CougarPeasant »

you realize that both Lark and Munns are just back from their missions and were in no shape or ready to play D1 football. If either had been here last season, that player would likely be the QB.

Heaps is talented and exceptional and was thrust into the position because of circumstances. It was no indictment on Nelson, Lark, or Munns. It was just the circumstances.

Oh, and the qb at BSU started as a redshirt freshman, much different than Heaps circumstance.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

I'm sure the receivers could find ways to drop balls thrown to their hands, chest and helmet from Lark or Munns just as well as Heaps.

Metallicat
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Metallicat »

WRs drop the ball so lets put in a new QB? Yeah, that makes sense...

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

This post is silly. I stopped reading it after the comparison to wynn who played patsies in his firsr games as opposed to who heaps has played against earlier on in his freshman season.

Given the coaching debacle heaps has had to endure as a freshamn I am impressed with how he has done. Once the game slows down for him he will be amazing. We know has has the intangibles as well as the skills. Just look at the situation he was put in. It was a recipe for disaster.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

anyone who is focusing too much on Jake's "poor" stats is not actually watching the games.

the receivers have been awful... not just at dropping the ball when it gets to them, but at even putting themselves in the position where they ARE open enough to have the ball thrown to them. I think it's impressive what Jake has done with so little help, especially considering that he was named the starter after we were already 25% through the season.

It really baffles me why some people just still don't get this. Or even HOW they don't get it.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mythranor
BLUEshirt

Post by Mythranor »

cougman wrote:Jake's numbers so far don't look so solid. Completing 53% (I guess it would be closer to 60% if we had anyone who could catch) at 4.8 yards per attempt and just 1 TD to 4 picks. Jordan Wynn completed 58% at 7.5 per attempt and had 8 TD's and 4 picks as a freshman. Is Bronco just going with him because he thinks/knows he'll be around next year and believes he'll develop into what we all hope and want? Or is this an indictment on Munns and Lark on how bad they are? With all the hype Munns had coming out of high school (see the picture of Munns in the middle standing next to Kellen Moore), I would have thought we might have at least had a look at him at this point. Has anyone seen him in practice?
Munns Moore.jpg
I'm not trying to bail on Jake, but this offense is borderline unwatchable whenever they try and throw. I hope Jake gets a little help from his WR's and TE's or Munns or Lark get a shot.
Just a reference as far as the impact of dropped passes from the Utah State Game (which is the only one I could find an accurate count of dropped passes) Jake Heaps was 27/55 or 49% for 270 yards (4.9 yards per pass) with a Qb rating of 83.05. All of the news articles estimate the dropped passes at 11-13 with just under 200 yards and touchdown passes on 2 separate drives (there were 3 dropped TD passes but two were in back to back plays) . So if we take a low estimate 11 drops with 170 yards. That would have increased his stats to 38/55 or 69% completions for 440 yards or 11.5 yards per pass and a QB rating of 141.02. If we go with the high estimates he would be 40/55 or 72% completions for 460 yards or 11.5 yards per pass and a QB rating of 147.71.

I'm not sure how this would translate to the other games this season. But for at least one games the drops made a 50-70 point difference in Heaps QB rating and a 20% difference in completions. Several of the news reporters have said that these passes aren't dropped in practice, so if we can change that one stat Heaps goes from being a relatively bad QB to a pretty good one.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Mythranor wrote:
cougman wrote:Jake's numbers so far don't look so solid. Completing 53% (I guess it would be closer to 60% if we had anyone who could catch) at 4.8 yards per attempt and just 1 TD to 4 picks. Jordan Wynn completed 58% at 7.5 per attempt and had 8 TD's and 4 picks as a freshman. Is Bronco just going with him because he thinks/knows he'll be around next year and believes he'll develop into what we all hope and want? Or is this an indictment on Munns and Lark on how bad they are? With all the hype Munns had coming out of high school (see the picture of Munns in the middle standing next to Kellen Moore), I would have thought we might have at least had a look at him at this point. Has anyone seen him in practice?
Munns Moore.jpg
Just a reference as far as the impact of dropped passes from the Utah State Game (which is the only one I could find an accurate count of dropped passes) Jake Heaps was 27/55 or 49% for 270 yards (4.9 yards per pass) with a Qb rating of 83.05. All of the news articles estimate the dropped passes at 11-13 with just under 200 yards and touchdown passes on 2 separate drives (there were 3 dropped TD passes but two were in back to back plays) . So if we take a low estimate 11 drops with 170 yards. That would have increased his stats to 38/55 or 69% completions for 440 yards or 11.5 yards per pass and a QB rating of 141.02. If we go with the high estimates he would be 40/55 or 72% completions for 460 yards or 11.5 yards per pass and a QB rating of 147.71.

I'm not sure how this would translate to the other games this season. But for at least one games the drops made a 50-70 point difference in Heaps QB rating and a 20% difference in completions. Several of the news reporters have said that these passes aren't dropped in practice, so if we can change that one stat Heaps goes from being a relatively bad QB to a pretty good one.
Well done. Unfortunately there are still some fans who insist on seeing that Heaps share the blame for the drops, which is proof that they are social fans only and have no real grasp of this game. I think Heaps has overall been average at best in his play, but to look solely at stats to backup why he hasn't been great (True Freshman people!) is the wrong way to go as you have shown.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

mizzoucoug wrote:
Mythranor wrote:
Munns Moore.jpg

Well done. Unfortunately there are still some fans who insist on seeing that Heaps share the blame for the drops, which is proof that they are social fans only and have no real grasp of this game. I think Heaps has overall been average at best in his play, but to look solely at stats to backup why he hasn't been great (True Freshman people!) is the wrong way to go as you have shown.
Yes and to completely absolve the chosen one (heaps) from any blame for our offensive woes is ignorant at the very least.

airattack
Gray Shirt

Post by airattack »

frdbtr you can always be counted on to bag on Heaps... no matter what. No matter the topic.