Endorsement of Heaps or Indictment of Munns and Lark?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Endorsement of Heaps or Indictment of Munns and Lark?

Post by Italics »

Nobody was ever critical of Nelson's numbers they were critical of the fact that he has a weak and inaccurate arm, and that he does not fit in at all with BYU offensively. Quit trying to make apples out of oranges. If we were Yewtah State, I'd love the idea of Nelson at the helm.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougman »

livin the dream wrote:It bothers me to see posts like this that cast all the blame on the quarterback. Calling Heap's offense "unbearable" to watch...really? Are you watching the games? He has a great arm, motion, pocket presence, etc. He doesn't look like a true freshman at all (even though he had to split reps in spring and fall camps). When I watch him throw, I start thinking about how great the cougars could be by next year or (fingers crossed) by the end of the season.

Over the past couple of years I remember reading countless posts complaining about Max Hall, and how he was the cause of all BYU's problems. I always enjoyed watching Max throw with ridiculous accuracy, and pick apart defenses. Sure he had a rough game here and there, but are there any quarterbacks that haven't had a rough game??? I wonder what all the Max haters are thinking now that he is STARTING in the NFL, and WINNING!

Give the kid a chance to show what he's got before you kick him to curb (as you probably wanted to do with Max). It's not Heap's fault his receivers are terrible this season, and the defense (before SDSU) couldn't get opposing offenses off the field.

I didn't call it unbearable to watch. I called it unwatchable. And it's not Heaps' offense, it's BYU's offense. And you're right about a great arm and motion, but his pocket presence resembles that of a stud high schoolers. This will obviously improve. I don't want to kick Jake to the curb. The whole reason for my post was to see why we don't give Munns a look. I know the receivers have been brutal (which I clearly stated), but Jake has also missed pretty easy throws as well.

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

byutx wrote:Why no mention of Matt Marshall? He has the best passing efficiency rating and completion percentage of anyone!

I'm trying to be nicer on the board and in life. So I will not comment on the quality of the initial post in this thread, nor will I nominate it as the dumbest and most uninformed post possibly ever on cougarcorner. I won't even say that it's at least top 5 in that category.
That's good because it would be incredibly sideways to knock a guy for contemplating the potential of Jason Munns, a highly touted QB with many similarities to Kellen Moore.

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

Isola wrote:Let me first say, I really like Heaps and how he is developing. In the Washington game he rocketed just about all the passes whether they needed more touch on them or not, but for the most part he has gotten away from that. Then in the USU game after a drop he rifled a pass on third down when it needed touch, but he has really gotten away from that. I bring these up not to say he isn't good but rather to say that he is clearly eliminating early mistakes. I also remember a play when a lineman was getting into it with an opponent after the play and Heaps ran down and grabbed the lineman by the chest and pulled him away...a clear leader. I am loving it and makes me look forward to future years.

But I would be really disappointed if we never see what Munns can do, although I am admittedly partial since he is a local. Still, a 6'5" 250 QB who was a 4 star recruit...I want to see what he can do.
Thank you for actually reading the initial post instead of stopping upon reading that "the anointed one" doesn't look like we had envisioned...so far.

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

byutx wrote: How could you miss the biggest fact/opinion of all:
Fact: the coaches' decision to go with the 2-QB system screwed us big time and cost us at least one game, possibly 2

Opinion: this is the biggest non-Crowton mistake by a BYU coach in the modern era
Opinion: it is the single biggest factor in our offensive and team ineptitude
That's a money response. Brilliant!

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

frdbtr wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
airattack wrote:frdbtr you can always be counted on to bag on Heaps... no matter what. No matter the topic.
airattack, if all you are going to do on this board as a poster is to call people out for criticizing Jake and insinuating that they are biased or unreasonable, maybe you should tell the forum what your interest is with Heaps, just in the interest of full disclosure.
Airattack is a relative of Jake heaps. My guess is he is Heaps Father. Which makes me feel bad that he thinks that I can be counted on to "bag" on heaps. My observations are not bagging on the guy. I just find myself in the peculiar position of defending some realistic observations about his poor play to some fans that are turning a blind eye to his play at the expense of other players and coaches, which in turn makes it sound like I am criticizing Heaps. It has been very frustrating for me. I would have expected that some of y'all would have been more reasonable and recognized what is happening for what it is. But I guess I expected too much.
Word. And I hope it's not his Dad. I just wish people would chill about the ludicrous notion that maybe, perhaps, possibly Jake has some room for improvement and maybe warm to the idea of "can we give Munns a look?"

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

cougman wrote:
byutx wrote:Why no mention of Matt Marshall? He has the best passing efficiency rating and completion percentage of anyone!

I'm trying to be nicer on the board and in life. So I will not comment on the quality of the initial post in this thread, nor will I nominate it as the dumbest and most uninformed post possibly ever on cougarcorner. I won't even say that it's at least top 5 in that category.
That's good because it would be incredibly sideways to knock a guy for contemplating the potential of Jason Munns, a highly touted QB with many similarities to Kellen Moore.
My comments really had little to do with Munns or Lark (both of which were unfit to lead the team this season) but were rather directed at your idiotic notion that we already need to look at benching Heaps. I'm sure you were one of the guys calling for Max Hall's head after his 1-2 start in 2007, right? I guess we'll never know because you're new.
Last edited by byutx on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

byutx wrote:
cougman wrote:

My comments really had little to do with Munns or Lark (both of which were unfit to lead the team this season) but were rather directed at your idiotic notion that we already need to look at benching Heaps. I'm sure you were one of the guys calling for Max Hall's head after his 1-2 start in 2007, right? I guess we'll never know because you're new.
I know your comments had little to do with Munns or Lark, which is why your response was below poopy.

I don't think I went after Max. Although, he followed one of my all time favorites in Beck (is there a better play than ripping the Utes heart out by finding Harline wide open?), so I could have been a little hard on him but I guess you could look at my posts at cougarblue for the past 5 years or so.

If it's idiotic to consider making a change at 1-4, I'm guilty. Apparently you're cool with BYU performing at a high level of mediocrity. Myself on the other hand, I want more than 1-4 and poor play by the ENTIRE offense. Why not explore some options.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Benching heaps is a stupid idea. Heaps definitely has room to improve and anyone watching the games can see he is getting noticeably better each game. The excitement of the team this year comes from the improvements we see from all the young players we have and realize how good they will become. If these players were juniors or seniors and still playing at this level it would be dissappointing and discouraging. I am not at all discouraged by our players, except for the receivers. If you have given up on heaps at this point in the season you either don't understand football and player development or you have something personal against heaps (or bias in favor of Munns/Lark).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I agree that benching Heaps is a dumb idea at this point. We have put all of our eggs into the Heaps basket, and the only two QBs getting meaningful reps are Heaps and Marshall (who gets them with the scout team and the option package). To bench Heaps would mean starting all over from scratch with Munns or Lark, or going with Marshall as the number one option. Until Heaps gets to where he physically cannot perform, any of those options are a massive step backward for the development of the TEAM.

We've all complained about the two-QB system, but to switch our horse at this point would simply reintroduce all of the confusion that the offense finally is showing signs of working out. Heaps has a long way to go if he wants to pin down next year's starting position by his play this season, but he is our guy for this season with no room for discussion at this point.