Excited for Independence?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
MJCOUGAR
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Excited for Independence?

Post by MJCOUGAR »

Can anyone speak to visibility of our road games on TV - our deal with ESPN only involves our home games. Are we at the mercy of the team we are playing to watch the game on random tv stations on obscure satelite tv packages? I'm excited about independence but right now I can watch every game home or away, even if it is on the crappy mtn channel. What about the away games, will I still be able to watch all of BYU's games from here in washington?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

MJCOUGAR wrote:Can anyone speak to visibility of our road games on TV - our deal with ESPN only involves our home games. Are we at the mercy of the team we are playing to watch the game on random tv stations on obscure satelite tv packages? I'm excited about independence but right now I can watch every game home or away, even if it is on the crappy mtn channel. What about the away games, will I still be able to watch all of BYU's games from here in washington?
It is always the home team that gets distribution rights. So, if TCU ever changes their mind and we play them again while they are still in the MWC their home games will be played on the MTN or Versus. Like wise, Pac12 games will end up on whichever television partner they have, fox sports, espn, however they work it out.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Aside from exposure and money?

How about not having to go to Laramie and Albuquerque every other year?

How about not getting jacked over by the conference on everything from officiating to scheduling (TCU, Utah, and AFA on the road in the same year, not to mention the early conference game being AF)?

Now if you give me the two big reasons, money and exposure, and everything else that comes with those things, how can I, as a fan, not be excited?

I am concerned about not being able to see some of the road games, but I'm sure after scheduling is worked out, that will be the next item of business. I'm just thinking out loud, but I think that shiny new HD production truck has wheels, right? Could BYUTV pick up some of the away games too?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

declocoug wrote:The guys bases his exposure argument on the grounds that everyone that wants to watch the game already can. He's forgetting that unlike utah, BYU has fans EVERYWHERE in the USA and beyond. Exposure will likely go through the roof. And I'd love to see what happens to recruiting when 40 million chinese are watching the games and decide that football is a sport they want to play (that might take a while ;)
So, my dad (a HUGE cougar fan and member of this board) lives in Oregon and subscribes to COMCAST. He CANNOT get the Mtn, so he has missed BYU's games against SDSU and Nevada. Note that he was able to watch the Utah St. game....on ESPN. There are HUGE numbers of BYU alumni and fans that live in California, Oregon, and Washington who CANNOT watch the majority of BYU games on television. That FACT is a large reason why BYU is saying its goodbyes to the conference....

YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

YNot wrote:
declocoug wrote:The guys bases his exposure argument on the grounds that everyone that wants to watch the game already can. He's forgetting that unlike utah, BYU has fans EVERYWHERE in the USA and beyond. Exposure will likely go through the roof. And I'd love to see what happens to recruiting when 40 million chinese are watching the games and decide that football is a sport they want to play (that might take a while ;)
So, my dad (a HUGE cougar fan and member of this board) lives in Oregon and subscribes to COMCAST. He CANNOT get the Mtn, so he has missed BYU's games against SDSU and Nevada. Note that he was able to watch the Utah St. game....on ESPN. There are HUGE numbers of BYU alumni and fans that live in California, Oregon, and Washington who CANNOT watch the majority of BYU games on television. That FACT is a large reason why BYU is saying its goodbyes to the conference....
So Pac-10 country is full of Y fans. They travel and represent very well and spend $. What idiots wouldn't want BYU? Oh...ya...

Anyways, I've been wondering for a long time how well BYU basketball will represent on the road since basketball venues are much smaller. Can we get enough fans in to still be able to hear them on radio and tv?

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH