Tell me, what does Heaps gain by sucking this year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tell me, what does Heaps gain by sucking this year?

Post by frdbtr »

Heaps has looked terrible against some pretty good competition. BYU's first 7 games have been against probably the toughest schedule we have had this decade. Lets see what he does against the crap in the MWC. If he doesn't start looking like the #1 recruit in the nation against them, or even raise his PER above 100, then it is time to start looking elsewhere.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote:Heaps has looked terrible against some pretty good competition. BYU's first 7 games have been against probably the toughest schedule we have had this decade. Lets see what he does against the crap in the MWC. If he doesn't start looking like the #1 recruit in the nation against them, or even raise his PER above 100, then it is time to start looking elsewhere.
Have you never seen a true freshman play before? I mean this serious, not tongue in cheek.

He doesn't look stellar, and this is why true freshman don't play, especially at the qb level. He is the best we have. Where elsewhere are you expecting to look? If it doesn't destroy his psyche i would love to see you get what you want, so that you can see how wrong you are. Because, for all your talk, I don't think you know much about this.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

He gains experience and respect from his teammates as he works to overcome the schedule. It (the schedule) now lightens up and so will the fans.

The question should be, how does Heaps benefit from continuing to start Luke Ashworth and McKay Jacobson?

How does Heaps benefit from Harvey Unga having a high sperm count?

How does Heaps benefit from poor play calling?

etc. etc.

cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougman »

byutx wrote:Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.

Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.
Where have you seen munns and or lark play this year outside of practice? That's all I'm saying, lets at least confirm that we have the right guy in there (and we probably do, but at 2-5, can we just get visual confirmation?)

Rest assured that if Jake shows significant improvement against the "cupcakes" I will be the first to jump on the "Heaps can do no wrong" band wagon. Until then, I'll stay in reality.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Heaps has looked terrible against some pretty good competition. BYU's first 7 games have been against probably the toughest schedule we have had this decade. Lets see what he does against the crap in the MWC. If he doesn't start looking like the #1 recruit in the nation against them, or even raise his PER above 100, then it is time to start looking elsewhere.
Have you never seen a true freshman play before? I mean this serious, not tongue in cheek.

He doesn't look stellar, and this is why true freshman don't play, especially at the qb level. He is the best we have. Where elsewhere are you expecting to look? If it doesn't destroy his psyche i would love to see you get what you want, so that you can see how wrong you are. Because, for all your talk, I don't think you know much about this.
Look at what true freshman Pete Thomas did against TCU. Is that too much to expect from the top QB in his class?

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:

Look at what true freshman Pete Thomas did against TCU. Is that too much to expect from the top QB in his class?

With the receivers BYU has? and at TCU? Yes, it was too much to ask Heaps to win that game as a true frosh.

That is the #1 defense in the country for a reason.

Yes, he played poorly... I never waivered from my desire for a redshirt, but it is what it is. I expected BYU to struggle on offense this year and I said many times that 8-4 was the absolute best case for this team, and that this year needed to be a learning time for Heaps and others.

I never expected the receivers to be as bad as they are.... and that's not on Jake... not this year.
Last edited by craigoscarson on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

With the receivers BYU has? and at TCU? Yes, it was too much to ask Heaps to win that game as a true frosh.
Pete Thomas didn't win either. He just didn't suck.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Thomas also got to play at home against an unmotivated TCU team that mailed it in and still won 27-0.

Heaps played in the hornests nest against a team that has prepared for BYU every offseason for the last 5 years.

Thomas threw for 116 yards.... no scores, and they rushed for 40 something...

There's no reason to believe that Thomas would have done any better at TCU under center for BYU.

Heaps was bad yesterday... he's a true frosh on the road with an abysmal receiving corps.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

cougman wrote:
byutx wrote:Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.

Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.
Where have you seen munns and or lark play this year outside of practice? That's all I'm saying, lets at least confirm that we have the right guy in there (and we probably do, but at 2-5, can we just get visual confirmation?)

Rest assured that if Jake shows significant improvement against the "cupcakes" I will be the first to jump on the "Heaps can do no wrong" band wagon. Until then, I'll stay in reality.

i wouldn't be so quick to state that you are in the "reality" bandwagon. To ask someone to sit in this position is just asinine. Who else do we have that can take Heaps place? Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Heaps beat out Lark in practice, and Munns beat himself. That's it. FACT! In the books. End of story. Now you want to take an already terribly handled situation and make it worse by pulling a kid that hasn't had a fair shot?

You are being ridiculous. Give him the rest of the season, or two losses that you can lay COMPLETELY on his shoulders - a la Max Hall with 6 turnovers in a game - and then we are talking. Up until now, Heaps is still paying the Price of other people's mistakes, and adding in a few of his own.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougman »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
cougman wrote:

i wouldn't be so quick to state that you are in the "reality" bandwagon. To ask someone to sit in this position is just asinine. Who else do we have that can take Heaps place? Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Heaps beat out Lark in practice, and Munns beat himself. That's it. FACT! In the books. End of story. Now you want to take an already terribly handled situation and make it worse by pulling a kid that hasn't had a fair shot?

You are being ridiculous. Give him the rest of the season, or two losses that you can lay COMPLETELY on his shoulders - a la Max Hall with 6 turnovers in a game - and then we are talking. Up until now, Heaps is still paying the Price of other people's mistakes, and adding in a few of his own.
You make some legitimate points but then you lose any credibility by saying that he hasn't had a fair shot. Are you kidding me? Other people's mistakes? Absolutely - the two QB system was horrible and his team mates are pathetic. Adding a few of his own? Dude are you not watching the games. He's not adding a few mistakes of his own. He's adding, as jefe would put it, a plethora of his own. He cannot hit anything beyond 10 yards.

Trent Green beat out Kurt Warner in practice. Game time situations are different. Maybe Lark and Munns would be terribly worse (is that possible?) but maybe not. I was willing to settle for a "rebuilding" year of 7 or 8 wins. This is atrocious, but maybe my standards are different than most fans around here.