Tell me, what does Heaps gain by sucking this year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tell me, what does Heaps gain by sucking this year?

Post by Italics »

People still don't understand why a true freshmen who never received adequate reps until 25% into the season would struggle playing against the #4 SOS in the country?
Especially when he has receivers who can't catch or get open?
And when the OC sucks at playcalling?

Wow... just wow.
:sick:
Last edited by Italics on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Bluma wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
Bluma wrote: The "fully invested" fans that possibly "invested" in Heaps more the NCAA will allow just don't seem to want to be wrong.
I would like an explanation to this statement. It appears to me to be an accusation of "boosters" making illegal payments or bestowing illegal benefits on Heaps. Do you have proof of this? Or do you just wish to stain Heaps' reputation?
You can't be charged with defamation with statements of possibilities. This is a big time, big money program and people are adamantly supporting a freshman QB with some of the worst numbers from a BYU signal caller in decades. Plus it was more of a joke than anything. I really don't care what boosters put their money into. Personally I think college football should be professionalized anyway. The players are already getting scholarships valued at 5-6 figures at most schools.

I don't really like USC, but I think the whole situation with that team is ridiculous. I mean Bush has to lose his trophy but players like OJ don't. That's pretty funny.
Copout, this is still making defamitory statements but saying "possibly" while knowing full well you are still making the accusation. This type of doublespeak has no place here. Please do not try to mislead or insinuate things unless you intend to back them up with facts. I know people have different points of view and this is where debate insues but these types of statements are not part of debate.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

imuakahuku wrote:
Bluma wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
Bluma wrote: The "fully invested" fans that possibly "invested" in Heaps more the NCAA will allow just don't seem to want to be wrong.
I would like an explanation to this statement. It appears to me to be an accusation of "boosters" making illegal payments or bestowing illegal benefits on Heaps. Do you have proof of this? Or do you just wish to stain Heaps' reputation?
You can't be charged with defamation with statements of possibilities. This is a big time, big money program and people are adamantly supporting a freshman QB with some of the worst numbers from a BYU signal caller in decades. Plus it was more of a joke than anything. I really don't care what boosters put their money into. Personally I think college football should be professionalized anyway. The players are already getting scholarships valued at 5-6 figures at most schools.

I don't really like USC, but I think the whole situation with that team is ridiculous. I mean Bush has to lose his trophy but players like OJ don't. That's pretty funny.
Copout, this is still making defamitory statements but saying "possibly" while knowing full well you are still making the accusation. This type of doublespeak has no place here. Please do not try to mislead or insinuate things unless you intend to back them up with facts. I know people have different points of view and this is where debate insues but these types of statements are not part of debate.
I second this

IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by IowaCougar »

I've stayed out of the fray on this issue, but I do have two observations:
1) While watching the game, my wife asked "Don't we have ANYBODY else on the team that can play quarterback?" I didn't know what to say.
2) I watched much of the CSU-UNLV game earlier in the day. CSU's true freshman quarterback had a breakout, dominant game against the Rebels in a 43-10 win. I'm willing to wait to see what Heaps can do against the same caliber of competition. If he continues to play like he has so far, then I really think it's time to give someone else an opportunity.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

IowaCougar wrote:I've stayed out of the fray on this issue, but I do have two observations:
1) While watching the game, my wife asked "Don't we have ANYBODY else on the team that can play quarterback?" I didn't know what to say.
2) I watched much of the CSU-UNLV game earlier in the day. CSU's true freshman quarterback had a breakout, dominant game against the Rebels in a 43-10 win. I'm willing to wait to see what Heaps can do against the same caliber of competition. If he continues to play like he has so far, then I really think it's time to give someone else an opportunity.
Yes, might as well. Just wait and see someone else suck it up. heaps nor any other qb will excel if his guys can't catch the ball. he has no go to guy. his runningbacks are the only ones who can catch balls.

Bluma
BLUEshirt

Post by Bluma »

imuakahuku wrote:Copout, this is still making defamitory statements but saying "possibly" while knowing full well you are still making the accusation. This type of doublespeak has no place here. Please do not try to mislead or insinuate things unless you intend to back them up with facts. I know people have different points of view and this is where debate insues but these types of statements are not part of debate.
You don't have any facts to back up that I was making an accusation, because I wasn't accusing anyone in particular. I thought I was being pretty ridiculous and TIC about it, and that it was pretty obvious. I was mostly making an observation on how "invested" everyone seems to be in Heaps and his great future at BYU. Forget that we recruited 2 highly-touted bluechippers as clipboard holders and are sacrificing their careers for this investment. They just chose to serve missions (nothing against Heaps - I never served one) and are 2 years postponed. They should still have precedence in the talent cycle. Next year there will be a bigger QB battle, I suspect.

With stories about boosters from schools like U$C, OSU, OU, and Alabama in recent years, it's pretty well known that boosters in today's game give "gifts" to players. I would not be surprised in the least if some BYU boosters have done the same things to "be competitive", of their own accord, especially when prized recruits like Heaps are involved. Feel all hurt about if you like, but it's just the way things are. I don't plan on bringing my accusations to the NCAA, since there are no accusations. The possibility is always there and if you think BYU is above these kinds of things, well, think what you like. Some BYU fans are pretty passionate about their team. Isn't Utah the home of that Olympic scandal of the late 90s? It can happen anywhere, and probably happens more places than is publicized. Only the big teams are getting caught because they are under more scrutiny for their successes.

Just leave it as a comment about how seriously everyone is taking this "Heaps project", or whatever you call it. The kid is a freshman, yet people act like his Heisman future is set in stone. He may not win any championships or even start next year. He may just not pan out. BYU will get more good QBs in his place if so. People are acting like Olson and Heaps are one in a million recruits. The fact is that they will probably become more common in coming decades as more 2nd and 3rd generation players and fans have kids playing HS football (like Collie). This is especially so at the QB position. BYU will have pipelines all over the country.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Bluma wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:Copout, this is still making defamitory statements but saying "possibly" while knowing full well you are still making the accusation. This type of doublespeak has no place here. Please do not try to mislead or insinuate things unless you intend to back them up with facts. I know people have different points of view and this is where debate insues but these types of statements are not part of debate.
You don't have any facts to back up that I was making an accusation, because I wasn't accusing anyone in particular. I thought I was being pretty ridiculous and TIC about it, and that it was pretty obvious. I was mostly making an observation on how "invested" everyone seems to be in Heaps and his great future at BYU. Forget that we recruited 2 highly-touted bluechippers as clipboard holders and are sacrificing their careers for this investment. They just chose to serve missions (nothing against Heaps - I never served one) and are 2 years postponed. They should still have precedence in the talent cycle. Next year there will be a bigger QB battle, I suspect.

With stories about boosters from schools like U$C, OSU, OU, and Alabama in recent years, it's pretty well known that boosters in today's game give "gifts" to players. I would not be surprised in the least if some BYU boosters have done the same things to "be competitive", of their own accord, especially when prized recruits like Heaps are involved. Feel all hurt about if you like, but it's just the way things are. I don't plan on bringing my accusations to the NCAA, since there are no accusations. The possibility is always there and if you think BYU is above these kinds of things, well, think what you like. Some BYU fans are pretty passionate about their team. Isn't Utah the home of that Olympic scandal of the late 90s? It can happen anywhere, and probably happens more places than is publicized. Only the big teams are getting caught because they are under more scrutiny for their successes.

Just leave it as a comment about how seriously everyone is taking this "Heaps project", or whatever you call it. The kid is a freshman, yet people act like his Heisman future is set in stone. He may not win any championships or even start next year. He may just not pan out. BYU will get more good QBs in his place if so. People are acting like Olson and Heaps are one in a million recruits. The fact is that they will probably become more common in coming decades as more 2nd and 3rd generation players and fans have kids playing HS football (like Collie). This is especially so at the QB position. BYU will have pipelines all over the country.
LOL, I hope you are not a lawyer. As for proof how about "]
You are making a very bad statement and it was not TIC it was rant, and it seems to implicate that Heaps was/is possibly accepting gifts contrary to NCAA rules which could lead to NCAA sanctions. And now you are implicating the whole BYU athletic department since it happens at other schools. I am positive our coach is different than the coachs of the schools you named. He will not turn a blind eye to booster improprieties-so yes I believe we are different, or in other words, peculiar.

It is evident in your posts that you are biased to one of the other QB's or just contra Heaps but that gives you no right to muck-sling.

As for your possiblilities for his future, for all we know he may throw for 10,000 yards next year and win the heisman. See I can play the "probably" game too. Whatever your reasons to dislike him or at least those that want him to gain experience, no other QB has beaten him out. And before you start in about Lark not having been given a chance, go back a few months and read the blogs on how the qb's looked. Heaps won the job. Munns was never in it because he came in late and way overweight and Lark hasn't gotten back to form yet. I for one believe that a player should earn his position every practice and I suspect that Bronco is somewhat like that too. I highly doubt he gives any leeway because of stars or name. So just calm down, sit tight and if Munns or Lark can beat him out then they will get their shot. You may not want to wait but too bad, until someone "beats" him out he is the starting QB. I can't have it my way either because our NFL back is not on the team this year you know the one that is the all time leading rusher at BYU, the guy that outruns DB's and LB's and runs over DE's and DL's.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

wow some BYU fans are demanding. Heaps gets thrown into an awful situation as a true freshmen and isn't putting up great numbers and people are calling for him to be benched.

Anyone who thinks showing MORE indecision and benching Heaps for Lark/Munns just can't be that intelligent. I'm not even joking.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Italics wrote:wow some BYU fans are demanding. Heaps gets thrown into an awful situation as a true freshmen and isn't putting up great numbers and people are calling for him to be benched.

Anyone who thinks showing MORE indecision and benching Heaps for Lark/Munns just can't be that intelligent. I'm not even joking.
seriously. Let's go with a guy getting less snaps than Jake.

I've got some nice waterfront properties by the ocean in Nevada to sell you all.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Bluma wrote:

You sound like a moron. Making up stuff and then saying, "I'm not saying I said that, but I'm not saying it isn't happening either." Saying that we got Heaps because we lobbied for him? I am calling into question your fanhood. You do know there is this thing called the Honor Code at BYU? And that "Harley Riding Bronco" is a big, big fan of it. BIG fan. Like, hindering our ability to recruit "good" talent, fan. (Both of the Teo's - Manti especially - Kyle Van Noy, though he actually did the stud thing and decided to honor his commitment and clean up when Bronco told him he could/should maybe go somewhere else. Harvey Unga is another... ON A SIDE NOTE: See what I am doing in these parenthesis, it is called "giving examples" ; you might want to look into that)
Last edited by Brayden Green on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: