On the QB's, from this guy (Lark Camp)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
fifthqb
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

On the QB's, from this guy (Lark Camp)

Post by fifthqb »

I have been patiently not trying to say anything on this board lately about the Quarterback play or even coaching. I have more of a sit back and see type of attitude. So I have been watching. I have read a lot of threads lately and just thought I would add my two cents.

1. Calling for heaps to be benched after the TCU game is ridiculous. Who thought he was going to go into that game and really be able to do anything? He missed alot of throws, and the passes he did make were nearly all check-downs, but we were playing the 4th ranked team in the nation. Max and Wynn both looked pretty bad last year against the same team.

2. That being said, I have been waiting patiently for Heaps to show me something that says he should be the starter. Every player on the field needs to earn his keep, if they are not producing they should be replaced, or at least looked very closely at. I think almost everyone would agree on that. Heaps hasn't been producing. I don't need to post numbers to prove my point here, we've all seen the games. Blame whoever you like, (which most everyone does), the receivers, coaching, running backs, the O-Line. Everyone so far has been pointed out as the problem that heaps isn't producing. I don't buy it, not all the way at least. Part of the problem is heaps. Part of the problem is everything else, to give him a magical free pass is not good enough.

3. He is a freshman. I made a thread a few months back asking how long people would give a poor performing Heaps. Many people said all season long, but I really don't agree. Heaps isn't ready right now, that is a direct quote from Brandon Doman (see True Blue last weeks episode). Just because he is a freshman, to me doesn't mean anything. If he is on that field he needs to be performing.

4. I've heard so many times about his poise, and conduct on the field being so good. Great, he is poised. Now can he needs to take that composure and use it be the spark the offense needs. Right now, he just isn't that spark. If anything that spark was Marshal during the SDSU game.

5. Leadership. I question Jakes ability to lead this team. He is a kid compared to many of the players on the team. He is a pre-mi. There is a huge difference between the maturity level of someone that has served a mission and hasn't served a mission. I really don't know if this is an issue at all, but it might be. His leadership I feel was determent of being able to be the best player on the offense side of the ball which clearly he isn't. I don't know if he is ready to be the emotional leader of this team.

6. He has the most experience right now. This is true and big advantage to him. But, Lark has been home from his mission for 10 months now. He is bigger faster and stronger than heaps. He has the arm and the legs to be able to lead the offense. When given the chance to show what he could do he has done well. Given his limited reps in the fall camp, I believe he had the best completion percentage. Many people agreed on this board that he had earned the chance to get a few more reps in practice, but because he started pre-season ranked number 3, thats where he was kept.

7. We should be playing the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win the game. So far that has been Heaps. He has played some tough defenses and like I said TCU is not the tipping point for me. If he cannot produce, I do not support him getting to finish out the season as a starter. That makes no sense to me. So far I haven't seen improvement, I feel his best game was actually the Washington game. I want Heaps to be the starter for this weekend against Wyoming. However, if he cannot produce against Wyoming, I will be calling for the birdman(lark) to get a chance.

8. If lark doesn't perform, I would want him to be removed as well. I want the quarterback that is going to give us the best chance to win, like I have said many times. If something isn't working you try something new. So if heaps isn't working post-wyoming, you try Lark. Worst case scenario, you lose half a game or so, and hopefully light a fire under heaps.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: On the QB's, from this guy (Lark Camp)

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm not calling for Lark, but if Heaps continues his current level of play against the likes of Wyoming and UNLV, I could see him (Heaps) getting a breather in the 2nd half of the UNLV game. Sometimes QBs need that - a break to step away from the game to watch from the sidelines and see it differently.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

This goes beyond liking one player. This is doing what is best for BYU. That is why the whole Nelson fiasco was so painful for me, because it seemed like we (Anae) got a man crush on someone and decided that he was going to change the offense to suit the player.

So I kind of just skimmed your post because I know that you are fully in the Lark camp, quite possibly at the expense of BYU (although you have alluded otherwise in this post). Which is what drove me mad about the Nelson camp. I don't mind being anti-freshman, or "prove yourself" but I can't get behind one guy at the expense of BYU. So the only thing that I want to respond on is #8.

Lark hasn't performed. To this date, he has done nothing to win the starting job, other than being next in line. Are you really that eager to bail on Jake after the abysmal way he has been handled, and the "adversity" he has had to deal with in the current state of BYU sports. A BYU defense that wasn't playing half it's games, not getting half the reps he earned, not getting half the respect or confidence he deserved from the coaches, playing with one of the worst receiving cores that BYU has had in the last 20 years (and that is saying something), no TE, running backs can't catch anything, and your offensive playcaller still thinks he is playing with a RS Senior that will audible out of every assinine call he makes (which is about once per sets of downs, if not more.)

Is it really time to move on now that we are through the toughest part of our schedule? If you like Lark so much, just pull up NCAA 11 and boost his stats so you can play with him, instead. But I promise he will not be an upgrade from Jake, not getting any of the reps in a backup position. See the coaches are trying to make up for lost time, giving Jake almost 100% of the reps now, and that is actually affecting Lark, our current backup - just the same way it was affecting our other "backups" (Riley and Jake... If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback).
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

BlueIsBetter wrote:This goes beyond liking one player. This is doing what is best for BYU. That is why the whole Nelson fiasco was so painful for me, because it seemed like we (Anae) got a man crush on someone and decided that he was going to change the offense to suit the player.

So I kind of just skimmed your post because I know that you are fully in the Lark camp, quite possibly at the expense of BYU (although you have alluded otherwise in this post). Which is what drove me mad about the Nelson camp. I don't mind being anti-freshman, or "prove yourself" but I can't get behind one guy at the expense of BYU. So the only thing that I want to respond on is #8.

Lark hasn't performed. To this date, he has done nothing to win the starting job, other than being next in line. Are you really that eager to bail on Jake after the abysmal way he has been handled, and the "adversity" he has had to deal with in the current state of BYU sports. A BYU defense that wasn't playing half it's games, not getting half the reps he earned, not getting half the respect or confidence he deserved from the coaches, playing with one of the worst receiving cores that BYU has had in the last 20 years (and that is saying something), no TE, running backs can't catch anything, and your offensive playcaller still thinks he is playing with a RS Senior that will audible out of every assinine call he makes (which is about once per sets of downs, if not more.)

Is it really time to move on through the toughest part of our schedule? If you like Lark so much, just pull up NCAA 11 and boost his stats so you can play with him, instead. But I promise he will not be an upgrade from Jake, not getting any of the reps in a backup position. See the coaches are trying to make up for lost time, giving Jake almost 100% of the reps now, and that is actually affecting Lark, our current backup - just the same way it was affecting our other "backups" (Riley and Jake... If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback).
you really should have read his post. your response is completely out of line.

taekwondave
Sophomore

Post by taekwondave »

CougarPeasant wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:This goes beyond liking one player. This is doing what is best for BYU. That is why the whole Nelson fiasco was so painful for me, because it seemed like we (Anae) got a man crush on someone and decided that he was going to change the offense to suit the player.

Is it really time to move on through the toughest part of our schedule? If you like Lark so much, just pull up NCAA 11 and boost his stats so you can play with him, instead. But I promise he will not be an upgrade from Jake, not getting any of the reps in a backup position. See the coaches are trying to make up for lost time, giving Jake almost 100% of the reps now, and that is actually affecting Lark, our current backup - just the same way it was affecting our other "backups" (Riley and Jake... If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback).
you really should have read his post. your response is completely out of line.

Amen.

taekwondave
Sophomore

Post by taekwondave »

Is it really time to move on now that we are through the toughest part of our schedule? If you like Lark so much, just pull up NCAA 11 and boost his stats so you can play with him, instead. But I promise he will not be an upgrade from Jake, not getting any of the reps in a backup position. See the coaches are trying to make up for lost time, giving Jake almost 100% of the reps now, and that is actually affecting Lark, our current backup - just the same way it was affecting our other "backups" (Riley and Jake... If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback).

And also, just one point. You said that there was something about the "Nelson Camp" that bothered you. Just for clarification, from what I saw there WAS no "Nelson Camp". There was the "Heaps Camp" and there were the "Now hold on, don't shove Heaps down my throat till I see that he truly outperforms the other options camp". I was in the latter. There was OBVIOUSLY a Heaps camp, but the "Nelson Camp" was a name given to the latter camp by the former camp due to their BELIEF that everyone just HAD to be in SOMEBODY'S camp. I NEVER heard ANYONE say they were a "Nelson Camper", although I heard NUMEROUS people ADAMANTLY proclaim to be Heaps campers. (My dad being one of them, haha. )

Just to clarify.

Bluma
BLUEshirt

Post by Bluma »

If Lark already burned his RS, and is few more months off his mission, I don't see what it hurts to see what he is made of in game situations. Why not put him in when we are down big (read over 10 pts with this year's O) in the second half, and Heaps having another bad passing day? Who is over offensive subs anyway? Bronco or Anae? It seems we almost never give the other QBs game experience when the game is reduced to a formality.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Bronco would never bench heaps for a half to light a fire. Not his style. To think any qb could come ans suceed with what anae is doing and receivers who continually drop balls is just funny. The problem is a lot bigger than heaps. No qb will eveer get rythm until guys catch balls and coaches call the right plays.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

jonnylingo wrote:Bronco would never bench heaps for a half to light a fire. Not his style. To think any qb could come ans suceed with what anae is doing and receivers who continually drop balls is just funny. The problem is a lot bigger than heaps. No qb will eveer get rythm until guys catch balls and coaches call the right plays.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I don't know if Heaps needs to be benched for a half. But I think there could be value in him watching from the sideline again. It would allow him to take a step back from the situation, and simply evaluate.

Sometimes when you study something and then try to do it, you don't quite get it. But then when you go back and look at the principles again, you can now put the theory to your experience and have an "Ah-ha!" moment. Where you can see how the theory and your experience go together. Then when you go back to the doing, you have a better understanding of the why and how, which can make the actual doing easier.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

kitic77 wrote:
I don't know if Heaps needs to be benched for a half. But I think there could be value in him watching from the sideline again. It would allow him to take a step back from the situation, and simply evaluate.

Sometimes when you study something and then try to do it, you don't quite get it. But then when you go back and look at the principles again, you can now put the theory to your experience and have an "Ah-ha!" moment. Where you can see how the theory and your experience go together. Then when you go back to the doing, you have a better understanding of the why and how, which can make the actual doing easier.
Isn't this what the week of practice in between games should be used for? If not, then what good is film study of the previous week's game? I'm not opposed to giving Heaps a series or two at the end of a "blowout" to see things from the sideline perspective, but expecting this offensive coaching staff to make in-game adjustments that Heaps can implement immediately doesn't seem realistic to me.