Twelve Yards Should = Termination

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Twelve Yards Should = Termination

Post by SpiffCoug »

pjmuli wrote:
Italics wrote: At some point, you have to let the kid throw the ball in the middle of the field and quit running out patterns, screens, etc.
Both of Jake's INTs against TCU weren't over the middle. One was a deep out into double coverage and the other was also to sideline that the LB leaped and grabbed.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Italics wrote: 2 interceptions means you suck as a QB. Just look at some of the greatest quarterbacks in BYU hist.... waaaaait a second.
That wasn't my point at all, you clown.

2 interceptions out of a spread passing attack is probably normal. But you have to be able to counter that by moving the damn ball and throwing TDs, which isn't happening with the passing game right now.

But you want Heaps to start throwing downfield more often, out of the spread I assume. And you think that those passes will be caught? Or not intercepted? BYU needs to ditch the spread and run power-I with play-action pass sprinkled in. For the rest of this year at least.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Alphaleonis wrote:Do we want to see 8 interceptions?

As I recall we came very close to beating Georgia with Herschel Walker at their place in a game in which Steve Young had 6 interceptions. Our coaching staff has become such paranoid ninnies about Heaps' passing that they are destroying everything BYU football is all about. Yes, open up the passing playbook back to where it has always been.
Who's going to catch the football? Ashworth? Jacobsen? Chambers? Really?

No, the strength of this offense (this year) is running the power-I with play action.

Alphaleonis
BLUEshirt

Post by Alphaleonis »

Who caught Hall's passes last year? Ashworth, Jacobsen, O'Neil Really? Something is messing with all of the offenses minds and I say it's coaching. They are paranoid and it is affecting the team.

cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:That wasn't my point at all, you clown.

2 interceptions out of a spread passing attack is probably normal. But you have to be able to counter that by moving the damn ball and throwing TDs, which isn't happening with the passing game right now.

But you want Heaps to start throwing downfield more often, out of the spread I assume. And you think that those passes will be caught? Or not intercepted? BYU needs to ditch the spread and run power-I with play-action pass sprinkled in. For the rest of this year at least.

You are right on with wanting to go a power run game, especially with the likes of WYO, UNM, etc. coming up. However, my concern (and I think others calling for downfield throws) is what kind of routes Anae will call off the play action. If the power running game pulls the linebackers to within four yards of the LOS, and the safeties up to within 10 yards of the LOS, then calling five yard outs, curls and dump-offs is playing right into the defense's hands. The play-action passes should be at least in the pocket between LB and safeties, and occasionally beyond the safeties. We are simply not consistent enough this year to move the ball and score points using the Beck/Hall dink and dunk passing game.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
byutx wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:The question is: do you want 2 interceptions per game or 8?
I've never seen an interception thrown on a running play out of power-I.
Okay. I didn't make my point clear. People here want Heaps to throw more. Did you see him throw on Saturday? Not a single pass looked good. In past games at least some of his passes looked good. Not a single pass looked good on Saturday. Not even the two he completed to non-RB players. Two. Two passes to TEs and WRs. Two.

You want him to throw more? At this point he's thrown exactly one TD. In six games. He's going to throw more INTs before he gets better, so I hope you're all prepared for that.

My point with the power I-formation, is that it has been working consistently against nearly everyone. So you power run from it and set up play action pass. That way your power running helps cover for an inconsistent passing game.
You haven't been reading much on the forums this year, have you?

Most fans - including myself - predicted this to be a down year, and at this point there is absolutely no doubt that it IS a down year... and a pretty major one at that. To be honest - no, I don't care if Heaps throws multiple interceptions if that's what it takes to build up his confidence, allow him to play the game he's used to, and get broken in.

The way our "offense" is being run right now is retarding the progress and experience of our WR's and our QB - who coincidentally:
1) Were supposed to be our most talented offensive units/players
2) Are playing the worst this year and failing the most to show improvement

This is on the coaches. If that fact were any more blatantly obvious it would slap you in the face and kick your dog.
Last edited by Italics on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

Go back to our 2 wins, Heaps can complete passes. Look at our losses, he makes mistakes, but how many drops are there. It's a combination of poor play calls and crappy receivers. Ashworth is Anae's pet and the bond is pathetic. Bronco said: "I'm fine with the play calling" indicates we won't see any changing of performance, so get ready for some bad games coming up.

I kept my cool during TCU and other losses, but I was expecting to hear a meeting was called sunday, or at least some fire from him that the O needs to drastically improve. Since he's not stepping up expectations I'm not raising mine. Let Doman take over.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
pjmuli
Freshman

Post by pjmuli »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:You guys are impossible to please. I guarantee that when Heaps starts throwing 5 interceptions per game you'll wonder why Anae doesn't call more short passes.
I think this season has gone beyond "fans are impossible to please."

12 yards.

I am open to your retort.

pjmuli
Freshman

Post by pjmuli »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
byutx wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:The question is: do you want 2 interceptions per game or 8?
I've never seen an interception thrown on a running play out of power-I.
Okay. I didn't make my point clear. People here want Heaps to throw more. Did you see him throw on Saturday? Not a single pass looked good. In past games at least some of his passes looked good. Not a single pass looked good on Saturday. Not even the two he completed to non-RB players. Two. Two passes to TEs and WRs. Two.

You want him to throw more? At this point he's thrown exactly one TD. In six games. He's going to throw more INTs before he gets better, so I hope you're all prepared for that.

My point with the power I-formation, is that it has been working consistently against nearly everyone. So you power run from it and set up play action pass. That way your power running helps cover for an inconsistent passing game.
I don't disagree about the I-formation...but while Heaps as 1 touchdown pass, how many touchdown passes have been dropped? How often have you seen our WR beat DBs off the line?

What is your response to Bobby Wagner basically saying that BYU is so predictable on offense that USU had an easy and fun time defending plays?

I think more to the point is this...if BYU is ever going to be good, Heaps has to develop a chemistry with his receivers on the mid-range ball. Against Washington, he clearly demonstrated an ability to make those throws accurately.

Yes, some of his throws were ugly against TCU...but man, if the only pattern we know how to run is a screen and a five yard out, defenses will make any quarterback look bad.

12 yards.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

i just want to know what is wrong with the offense. why are guys who have been dependable dropping balls. why is our oline which is pretty much the same oline playing worse than last year. why do our five very talented tight ends suck. why can' t our receivers get open. why is they play calling so ridiculous.

I just dont understand what happened.

tough schedule, young guys is surely a large part but there is obviously more than that. we have talent its just not coming together.