Cam Newton cleared??

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Cam Newton cleared??

Post by CougarClaw »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5870788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting. Cam's dad sends a request for a payment to go play for Miss State. NCAA finds out.
Cam tells a Miss St recruiter that the "money is too much" and has to go to Auburn.

NCAA finds that Cam did nothing wrong since it was his Dad (despite apparently knowing about it and agreeing to it isn't against the NCAA rules)

but what I find really strange is there is an implied amount paid by Auburn for his services, and no sanctions. Also implied involvement by Miss State, no sanctions. Is this getting swept under the rug?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Cam Newton cleared??

Post by Lawboy »

Reggie Bush just lost his Heisman becuase his parents got a house--not reggie. So the fact family benefitted and not the player is not hte issue. whether the player knows or not is not the issue. It is if a payment is made.

This is temporary. It will blow up after 2010, then Auburn gets tripped, the SEC still got their money, and they are happy.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Lawboy wrote:Reggie Bush just lost his Heisman becuase his parents got a house--not reggie. So the fact family benefitted and not the player is not hte issue. whether the player knows or not is not the issue. It is if a payment is made.

This is temporary. It will blow up after 2010, then Auburn gets tripped, the SEC still got their money, and they are happy.
Reggie Bush didn't lose his Heisman. He gave it up.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Don't forget that Auburn earlier this week declared in INeligible and then the NCAA came in and said he wasn't. I wonder if the SEC made a phone call.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

snoscythe wrote:
Lawboy wrote:Reggie Bush just lost his Heisman becuase his parents got a house--not reggie. So the fact family benefitted and not the player is not hte issue. whether the player knows or not is not the issue. It is if a payment is made.

...so that the committee wouldn't have the chance to take it (which they were likely going to do).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

...so that the committee wouldn't have the chance to take it (which they were likely going to do).
The committee had already announced that they weren't going to do anything about it.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

The committee had already announced that they weren't going to do anything about it.
I remember it differently...

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/0 ... an-trophy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Heisman Trophy Trust reportedly was prepared to meet Tuesday to vote whether to strip Bush of the award. Last month, USC returned its copy of the trophy after the NCAA smacked the program with a two-year bowl ban and massive scholarship cuts, finding Bush had accepted illegal benefits during the '04-05 seasons.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

I remember it differently...

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/0 ... an-trophy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Heisman Trophy Trust reportedly was prepared to meet Tuesday to vote whether to strip Bush of the award. Last month, USC returned its copy of the trophy after the NCAA smacked the program with a two-year bowl ban and massive scholarship cuts, finding Bush had accepted illegal benefits during the '04-05 seasons.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... shs-trophy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heisman Trophy Trust executive director Rob Whalen denied a report that his organization has decided to take away the 2005 trophy from New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush, who was implicated in an NCAA investigation of USC's football program.

"Yahoo Sports claiming Heisman Trust has reached a decision is completely false," Whalen told nationally syndicated radio program "The Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday. "The Heisman Trophy Trust has made no decision regarding the Reggie Bush matter."
Again, either way, whether the Trust was going to take it away or not (at best all you could say is they were supposed to vote on whether or not to take it away)--the fact is, they didn't take it away. Bush gave it up. Your story confirms my statement--he didn't lose it, he gave it up.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

Hey :sulk: All this is gay :sick: Soon these boys will pay :bug: Not at night, but at day :skeptic: I'm all out, so what do you say? :gross:

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:
Again, either way, whether the Trust was going to take it away or not (at best all you could say is they were supposed to vote on whether or not to take it away)--the fact is, they didn't take it away. Bush gave it up. Your story confirms my statement--he didn't lose it, he gave it up.
I agree that he gave it up, and in rereading my post I should have been more clear on what I was disagreeing about. Not that he didn't give it up, only that the Trust had already decided not to take it away from him. Sorry about the confusion.