Dantley Walker - Signed to UNLV

Discussion and information on upcoming and past BYU recruiting classes
HHH
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Dantley Walker - Signed to UNLV

Post by HHH »

Here's a link to a recent story about Dantley Walker - a basketball player from Nevada that is breaking nearly every record in the state. He has scored over 60 points 3 times in the past couple of weeks! He not only leads the state in points per game but also is the state leader in assists as well.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/blogs ... 03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article also contains a link to his 73 point game. When you click on the link to the video you will need to scroll down and view the game from 2-1-11 against Agassi Prep. If you only have a few minutes - move forward in the video to about the 59 minute mark. You will see a few examples of why he has been called the Jimmer Fredette of Nevada High School Basketball.

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Dantley Walker - Potential BYU Recruit

Post by bball »

Dantley is my great-nephew. He is amazingly skilled. What's amazing is the Lincoln County team this year has little talent besides him, so he gets double and triple teamed every game--and he still puts up big numbers.

And lest you think he can only do this against chump players, he played with the Findley AAU team the past two summers, with all the big boys from the Vegas schools, he can play with any of them. His biggest drawback is his size, I'm doubtful BYU will offer him because of his size, might let him walkon. But he's one fun player to watch.

HHH
Gray Shirt

Post by HHH »

Dantley is currently averaging 35.4 points per game along with 9.9 assists. He is averaging over 40 points per game since league play began in January. See link below for current list of Nevada stat leaders.

http://www.nevadapreps.com/boys/basketball/leaders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way - the number 2 scorer this year in the state of Nevada is Justyn Anderson from Mountain View High School - and they will be playing Dantley's school tomorrow night (Friday 2-4-11 at 7:30 pacific time). You can tune into the following link to watch the game.

http://www.lctsys.com/html/lchsportal_main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One final note. Based on the Max Preps site - Dantley would rank number 6 in the country in scoring and number 6 in the country in assists. (Although I doubt this is a complete list because I don't see Dantley's name included) Regardless, how often does a player come along that would rank that high nationally in both categories?

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

I played against Lincoln County in High School. I hated them (mostly because they always beat us...pretty badly)

HHH
Gray Shirt

Post by HHH »

Dantley had 35 points and 13 assists in his game last night against Mountain View. It was one of those games where you are surprised that he ended up with the stat line he did. He makes everything look so easy - and really got his teammates going.

HHH
Gray Shirt

Post by HHH »

Dantley had 19 points and a record breaking 22 assists in game against Calvary Chapel on Saturday night. Below is the article from Nevadapreps.com:

Lincoln County 90, Calvary Chapel 41 — At Calvary Chapel, Lincoln County senior Dantley Walker set yet another Nevada record, dishing out 22 assists as the Lynx routed the Lions.

Walker, who last month set the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association’s records for points in a game and points in a career, also had 19 points, seven steals and six rebounds. He also owns state marks for assists in a season and in a career.

The previous record for assists in a game was 21, set by Virgin Valley’s Alex Jensen in 1980 and matched by Walker earlier this season.

Ryan Rippetoe added 29 points and nine rebounds, and Chandler Katschke supplied 16 points and 14 rebounds for Lincoln County, which raced to a 44-16 halftime lead.

Bobby Buist scored 12 points and Joey Peterson 11 for Calvary Chapel.

bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

Dantley is also the ESPN Western Regional player of the week.
http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball ... Basketball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coach Rose went to Panaca, Nevada to watch Dantley on Friday. Walker had a mere 35 points, but set a Nevada state record with 22 assists on Saturday.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

I think Dave Rose and company will offer this kid a scholarship, particularly because he's planning on his mission 1st which allows us to offer him.

The kid could make an incredible 6th man until he gets up to speed to run the point by his junior/senior year.

If he goes on his mission then redshirts, he could actually fill out too and make a pretty strong point. Plenty of time to get him acclimated from 2a ball to the big time.

bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

Dantley's father is (and was) a very strong guy. His mother's brothers were all good sized, strong players. Dantley might weigh 150 soaking wet, but if will hit the weights, bulk up a bit, and go on his mission first, which he is planning to do, he could be a very good point for BYU three or four years from now.

One thing I've noticed about Dantley is he ends up on the floor a lot, mostly just because he does not have enough mass, weight, leg strength, etc to avoid getting knocked to the floor by bigger players. I think he'll outgrow this problem. His family would love him to go to BYU, sadly UNLV is probably Dantley's second choice, mainly because he has played with all those UNLV guys in summer ball in Las Vegas.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Here's my vote- Lock this kid up, and get it done quick. He's going to start drawing a lot of attention with stats like those.