Bin Laden dead.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bin Laden dead.

Post by BoiseBYU »

Lawboy wrote:Boise,

THE USSR was a political-economic machine, not a religious one. If was also a sovereign nation, not a militaristic one in place to simply create chaos. I do not think the 2 are comparable in that respect. The Soviets wanted to show their style of governing was better (see Kruschev comments on crushing US--he meant economically, not literally), the radicals want to simply destroy the USA, infidels, and forcefully impose sharia law on the world--by death is necessary, which means no religious freedom. It has to be stopped.

And while war is hell, which I agree completely, it is often used to further the Lord's plan. The Bible and book of Mormon are filled with examples of this. There are multiple ways this will happen, but as the scriptures tell us, war is one of them, and will be the ultimate decider in this as well. This is all just leading up to that, as prophesied in scripture. These are not random events. They are foreseen events leading to a great war as prophesied in scripture.
War is prophesied to be sure. And out of the evil of war, the gospel moves forward. I know the USSR was political and not a religious but the reality is that a miracle happened that brought the Iron Curtain down. And the Lamanites hated the Nephites with as much passion as radical Islamism seems to hate the West...and another miracle happened. In the end my one point is that we ought not and must not justify a nation choosing to go to war on the grounds of religious freedom. The Lord's will and plan will go forward. He does not need nations to wage war to fulfill those purposes

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

President Hinckley reiterated the church's position on war, (ie that they never endorse it unless God commands them to). He said individuals who have entered in to a contract with governments to fight in the armed forces will not be held responsible for doing what they are legally responsible to do (note he does not distinguish between Iraqi, Afghani or US military).

In one sentence he speaks about a mother in America and her son and in the next he speaks about mothers and their children where the fighting is actually taking place.

Anyone who states that President Hinckley's talk supports only one side is delusional. Pres Hinckley said, "there are times and circumstances when nations are justified, in fact have an obligation, to fight for family, for liberty, and against tyranny, threat, and oppression."

If you were living in Iraq, who would you view as the greater threat to your family and a greater tyrant and oppressor; The one who had suppressed rebellions which resulted in the deaths of several hundred thousand people or the one whose secretary of state admitted to killing 500,000 Iraqi children? Tough choice right?

I was very surprised at the beginning of the talk when Pres Hinckley was talking about empires I thought he might directly criticize the US (which he didn't) as much of the criticism directed at the US at that time on the part of other nations was regarding the imperialist nature of the US. Since you are so sure of Pres Hinckley's support of the US, to what was he referring when he spoke of empires and our propensity to "glorify the great empires?"

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I am only sure that Pres. Hinckley talk supported the US because we did not instigate the war, we are not the oppressors of freedom in the war, and we are fighting for the freedoms of all. And as I said previously, the USA has made mistakes and is not perfect, and that is clear as it is a government led by imperfect people. But do not mistake that fact for the real issue at play here: The war against radical global jihad, and oppressive governmental regimes, the US is in the right. When freedom and liberty is pursued, and oppression is combatted, you are in the right.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

The line about empires was setting up his point about abuse of powers and the current (Iraq) war:

"In the course of history tyrants have arisen from time to time who have oppressed their own people and threatened the world. Such is adjudged to be the case presently, and consequently great and terrifying forces with sophisticated and fearsome armaments have been engaged in battle."

You should try to explain away these statements if you really think he was coming out against the US involvment:

"In a democracy we can renounce war and proclaim peace. There is opportunity for dissent. Many have been speaking out and doing so emphatically. That is their privilege. That is their right, so long as they do so legally. However, we all must also be mindful of another overriding responsibility, which I may add, governs my personal feelings and dictates my personal loyalties in the present situation."

"We are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression."

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Lawboy wrote:I am only sure that Pres. Hinckley talk supported the US because we did not instigate the war, we are not the oppressors of freedom in the war, and we are fighting for the freedoms of all. And as I said previously, the USA has made mistakes and is not perfect, and that is clear as it is a government led by imperfect people. But do not mistake that fact for the real issue at play here: The war against radical global jihad, and oppressive governmental regimes, the US is in the right. When freedom and liberty is pursued, and oppression is combatted, you are in the right.
Do yuo think President Kinckley was justifying the Iraq war? We did instigate that war. I did not read President's talk as endorsing the US instigating that war specifically....

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I think Saddam did plenty to irritate the US over the years. Plots to assassinate the USA President (GB Sr.) pretty much fall under initiating the conflict. IT is a Gadianton robber tactic.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Lawboy wrote:I think Saddam did plenty to irritate the US over the years. Plots to assassinate the USA President (GB Sr.) pretty much fall under initiating the conflict. IT is a Gadianton robber tactic.
Was Saddam evil? Absolutely. Am I glad he's dead? Yes. Was Saddam's presence in Iraq in 2003 justification for the US to initiate war then? No. Did President Hinckley endorse the US waging war against Iraq in 2003? I do not think so. Did he justify soldiers following orders? Yes. Are we gonna persuade the other? I doubt it, but I must confess that I see your side better and so I thank you for sharing

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

snoscythe wrote:The line about empires was setting up his point about abuse of powers and the current (Iraq) war:

"In the course of history tyrants have arisen from time to time who have oppressed their own people and threatened the world. Such is adjudged to be the case presently, and consequently great and terrifying forces with sophisticated and fearsome armaments have been engaged in battle."

You should try to explain away these statements if you really think he was coming out against the US involvment:

"In a democracy we can renounce war and proclaim peace. There is opportunity for dissent. Many have been speaking out and doing so emphatically. That is their privilege. That is their right, so long as they do so legally. However, we all must also be mindful of another overriding responsibility, which I may add, governs my personal feelings and dictates my personal loyalties in the present situation."

"We are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression."

It was very clear to me that Pres. Hinckley was supporting the overthrow of evil and repression in Iraq. As I read the portions you provide sno, I just cannot understand how anyone could think or would think that the Prophet was straddling the issue or even mildly condemning the US' actions.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

CougarPeasant wrote: It was very clear to me that Pres. Hinckley was supporting the overthrow of evil and repression in Iraq. As I read the portions you provide sno, I just cannot understand how anyone could think or would think that the Prophet was straddling the issue or even mildly condemning the US' actions.
It was absolutely clear. He was being sensitive o war related questions, but was clear in his point that evil and repression had to be stopped. The Church has always supported that position.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Who doesn't support the position that evil should be suppressed? Especially on this forum. I didn't read anyone stating otherwise.

Hind-sight is 20/20, we all know that. As I've said before, I was all for the wars in the middle east right after 9-11. I loved President Hinckley's comments at that time. Still do because I believe that combating evil and repression is a good thing. I just think the USA's approach to these wars is all wrong. Too much wasted money. Too much collateral damage done to the innocent citizens in those countries.

Lawboy, it would be nice if the USA could wave a magic wand or drop a few bombs and evil regimes and persons could be removed, but we both know it doesn't happen like that. The USA can't afford to be involved in the revolution process that must happen in these countries. At least not the involvement that we have seen the USA take (full scale invasions). And what about all the other world atrocities? Why is the middle east getting all our attention but Africa, Asia, South America and others can get away with evil and repressive acts?