Ketchum/sun Valley

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Ketchum/sun Valley

Post by BYULV »

After many deliberations, my wife has decided we are headed to Ketchum/sun Valley for a week this summer...only problem, we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into, so if anyone has suggestions about activities, lodging, food, etc, please share all.

It looks like it will be really fun. We have four kids (ages 8-14). We hope to find a house/cabin/condo to rent, vrbo has some nice places. Aside from that, we are clueless. Hope to hear from some of you.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Ketchum/sun Valley

Post by BoiseBYU »

Take the main road, ID 75 north for about 45 minutes to Galena Summit. YOU will see a breathtaking view of the Sawtooth Valley....I think there's a turn out somewhat past the summit going north. If you have time, drive another 30 minutes north to Stanley to take in the Sawtooths....spectacular...if you want to make it a day go west on ID 21 for about 9 miles to the Stanley Lake turnout. it's a three mile dirt road to Stanley Lake where you can have a really nice picnic and see some utterly breathtaking scenery..

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BoiseBYU wrote:Take the main road, ID 75 north for about 45 minutes to Galena Summit. YOU will see a breathtaking view of the Sawtooth Valley....I think there's a turn out somewhat past the summit going north. If you have time, drive another 30 minutes north to Stanley to take in the Sawtooths....spectacular...if you want to make it a day go west on ID 21 for about 9 miles to the Stanley Lake turnout. it's a three mile dirt road to Stanley Lake where you can have a really nice picnic and see some utterly breathtaking scenery..
Awesome! Thanks.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Redfish lake is very nice and I believe they have lodging, could be a fun place to spend a day and night. There are some awesome bike paths along the Wood River in Ketchum. Depending on how much time you have/what you want to do, there's always great hiking around that area, especially if you take BoiseBYU's advice and go over Galena summit It's a truly beautiful area. If you want to do some hiking PM me and I'll send you the details for some good 2 hr hikes to some great lakes, or longer overnight places to stay if you want to rough it for a while.

As for food, the original smoky mountain pizza is in ketchum and everything I've eaten there has been great. Might be because every time I've eaten there it's been 3+ days since I've had any "real" food and I'm starving. If you want a good shake I always stop in Shoshone, ID at the snack shack, but that would have to be either on the way in or out of your trip.

Bring your bug repellent!

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

If you happen to be into fly fishing, Silver creek, in the Picabo (pronounced peek-a-boo---yes that's where Picabo Street got her name) area, is world class, and strikingly beautiful. Turn east at the Hwy 75, Hwy 20 junction toward Carey. Picabo is along the flats on 20, and is a pretty interesting place itself. It consists of a bunch of houses and graineries on one side of the hwy/railroad tracks, and a huge general store on the other side (at least that's how it was 20 or 30 years ago when I last went through). That general store is a great place to browse and see all the interesting things that you didn't know existed. If you want a more interesting drive, take the old highway from Bellevue, around the corner of the mountain through Gannett (that's where my Mom grew up) to near Picabo.

Farther east, through Carey, is The Craters of the Moon National Monument, which is a really interesting, fun and educational extinct valcano and lava flow, for the whole family to see, with great hikes (mostly fairly short), and some fun caves (small) and ash mountains to hike. (If you go through Carey, my Dad grew up on the ranch on the right as you cross the hill on the way out of town.) I happen to be very fond of the beautiful Wood River Valley!

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

This is great input, thanks guys. My wife isn't much into the great outdoors, however, she has been a good sport about camping a number of times and she actually said she wants to try fly fishing while we are there. We will definitely look into some of these areas. Hopefully do some river rafting as well. I wouldn't mind golfing while I'm there, anything good, and reasonably priced?