Input on a new car

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Input on a new car

Post by Ungoy »

Hey all. I have been thrust into a position that I didn't want to be in for a while. The other night I was hit by another car while driving home from work, and my little Hyundai Elantra is likely a total loss. As I wasn't expecting to be looking for a new car, I'm at a loss as to what to look at for a new car to replace my dead one. I'm just trying to get ideas of what recommendations people might have. I know it's a personal decision, and such and I need to drive different models until I decide on one I like, but any advice would be helpful. I'll be getting some money from the other driver's insurance company, as she was at fault, but as of yet I'm not sure how much. Very new position for me dealing with insurance companies and the like... Anyway, HELP! :D Thanks!

snoscythe
Retired

Re: Input on a new car

Post by snoscythe »

What are you looking for? 4-door? truck? commuter? new? used? newsed?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

A week ago I would have told you to get a late 80s early 90s Volvo! You could get a SWEET ride for under 4 grand. And a super car for about 1500. But both of the volvos I own are currently stuck in the driveway with alternator problems. :~(

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

snoscythe wrote:What are you looking for? 4-door? truck? commuter? new? used? newsed?
The car that was demolished was my commuter car, a Hyundai Elantra. I'll probably be looking at something comparable to it. Probably looking at a 4-door mid-size to full size sedan. New would be nice, but I'll likely not be able to afford anything new. However, I won't know my exact budget until I know what the insurance will hand over.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I have recently been looking because our commuter car died. I can tell you my top 3 are currently the Hyundai Sonata, the Ford Focus, and the Toyota Camry.

The Sonata has been a long favorite and it and the Focus are 2 of the best rated cars on Edmunds.com and Consumer Reports. The Camry was just added to our list as we rented one on our recent trip to California and it drove like a dream.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Thanks for the suggestion Hawk, I will research those.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

If you have access to consumerreports.com they are a good research tool. But I have found Edmunds.com to be just as if not more valuable.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

The Sonata looks really nice. Even the new Elantra looks good. This is gonna be a hard decision making process, I've decided.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Ungoy wrote:The Sonata looks really nice. Even the new Elantra looks good. This is gonna be a hard decision making process, I've decided.
At least you've come to a decision.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Life's too short to drive boring cars

Do some looking in the used sport/luxury sedan segment. You'd be amazed at how nice of a car you can get in the used car market for the same price as a new, bargain basement econo car. I assume you're budget is around $12-16k.

Go on to autotrader.com (or KSL.com if you're in Utah), and search for these cars in your price range:

BMW 3-series
Audi A4
Saab 9-3

Just test drive a few and see if you don't absolutely fall in love. I drive a Saab 9-3 and everyday I get excited to drive it, even if it's just to school or work.