Let's play //Technology Fun Time Questions//.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Let's play //Technology Fun Time Questions//.

Post by BroncoBot »

So I had a scout last week (we were all supposed to come up with a game) decide we were going to play "Adventure Question!". It become clear that he hadn't thought about this and was making it up as we started to play. But, it turned into everyone's favorite game that night and they made me promise we could play it again. It consisted of Jerome (the kid who made the game up of course) asking questions and whoever answered first could take a step forward in Jerome's hazardous maze of chairs/tables/whetever else that was available in our small classroom. Whoever answered enough questions to get to the chalkboard won the game. I think those kids need to get out more.

Anyway, it's come to my attention that some of you on here are tech savvy. I've got a few questions about home networking and I'm tired of looking for the answers through google or on forums that have terrible formats. Football season is going to be upon us before we know it and I've got to make sure my baby (the sony 720p :D) is getting crystal clear reception via the intranet [sic].

Here's the deal, I've got an absolutely sick setup with the dlink 202 cable modem and the [img=http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimage ... 4-PB-R.jpg]US Robotics 8054[/img]. With blazing 54g wireless capabilities. And I'm paying for the 7gbs plan through the cable company. I know ya'll will think I'm crazy but I'm considering ditching the wireless g and picking up a wireless n router for a few reasons. THIS IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!! We have some neighbors moving in the place above ours and we've agreed to split the internet price and just share. That's great, but I don't want the signal to be bogged down when football season rolls around. I'm going to call RCN and get the 40gbs plan and am thinking about buying a wireless n, linksys e1000 router with 300 gbs capabilities, which also gives the ability to share a network privately via 2 independent streams. I am going to hardwire the router to the computer and that should give a pretty solid signal I figure to the TV which is currently the monitor of said computer, and have plenty of bandwith left over for my wife to peruse the internet while I'm watching the game and for the neighbors to do whatever they want with whats left.

Last year ESPN3 looked awesome on the TV and it was streaming in HD with no problems via wireless adapter with said 54g wireless router. I'd love to not worry about the stream this year as well.

Does that appear to be a good setup?
Anything else I should consider?
Is 40GBS enough for 3 computers to be online at once?
Should I just stick with the 54g and hardwire that to the computer (is wireless-n really that much better)?

Thanks for any and all suggestions/confirmations/constructive criticisms etc.