Apo vs. Watkins

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Apo vs. Watkins

Post by mizzoucoug »

Another comparison that keeps running through my mind...

I was on campus when hype known as Todd Watkins came to BYU and all I remember about the start of that fall practice and season was when I got home I told my roommates "Watkins is good for 3 W's alone this season." He went on to have a really good career of course and for the most part I feel, he lived up to the hype.

I don't know if anyone has anything on Apo yet, but the hype is certainly there. The way it comes across to me is that Hoffman is pretty dang good but that Apo is a double-team worthy player every down. Is this kid going to be that great or am I misreading the vibe?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Re: Apo vs. Watkins

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Watkins was what, 6'.0"? Apo is 6'3". Add wingspan to height and there is a clear advantage. Add leaping ability ( i dont remember Watkins going up in the air for many catches) and I think Apo has more upside. Wasnt Watkins labeled Mr 50/50? OR was that Wilkerson, the other speedster? Anyway, seems watkins dropped more than he should have.
Apo hasnt proven anything in a game, so we'll see. I think the hype is higher than it was for Watkins.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Yeah Watkins was Mr. 50/50. If it was an easy catch you could expect it to end up in the grass but if he had to contort or jump or set the grass on fire to get to it he caught it.

I was thinking about this earlier, can we become a WR factory too? Watkins to Collie to Apo to ??. I'm hoping we get known for it because it could only help on the recruiting side of things as far as WR's are concerned.

OLB too. Kehl to Nixon to Pendalton to Van Noy to Hinds to ?? Seems to be another nice little "assembly line" for us.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

I think Wilkerson was 50/50 and Watkins got the nickname of "Drop"kins...

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

I actually don't recall Watkins dropping ALL that many passes. What I REALLY remember him doing is not knowing when to go down after a catch. I mean, I'm all for guys working hard for YAC, however, I remember MULTIPLE fumbles because he was trying to shuck a corner by him with his ball-carrying arm way up in the air, and after watching the move once, any defensive back knew just to stick his hand out. If I recall, we lost out on a significant opportunity against the U due to that.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:I actually don't recall Watkins dropping ALL that many passes. What I REALLY remember him doing is not knowing when to go down after a catch. I mean, I'm all for guys working hard for YAC, however, I remember MULTIPLE fumbles because he was trying to shuck a corner by him with his ball-carrying arm way up in the air, and after watching the move once, any defensive back knew just to stick his hand out. If I recall, we lost out on a significant opportunity against the U due to that.
I remember 2 BIG drops that would have been six against TCU in '05. Guess how that game ends if he catches them? (To his credit, he did score 3 TDs that game - but he could have had 5...) Seems like there may have been another sure TD dropped against ND in '05, but it's been awhile. He was clutch against ND in '04, though.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Watkins made the tough catches, but dropped the balls that were put right in his hands.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I think Watkins is the fastest receiver BYU has ever had. Dude was always open deep. And I do not think Apo has that same high end speed, but I do think Apo has a bigger frame and will go over the middle more often, as well as be a better possession receiver when required. I hope Apo is going to be a Julio Jones type for us. Big guy, good speed, makes tough catches, hard to bring down.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I might be totally off, but he seems more stealthy than sturdy--and not just because of his finger injury. I watched him work out at Golds Gym once this past summer. He's certainly in great shape but just seems narrow through the torso--which is all about core strength. It will be telling if he has the strength to get separation. Anyway, not trying to hate on Ross, just probably bracing for let down given how much hype he has received. It will be great to see him in action finally.