Bronco's Assessment of Doman's Offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bronco's Assessment of Doman's Offense

Post by byucougar1 »

http://BYU.scout.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After today's live scrimmage, Mendenhall had good things to say about the offense under the direction of Coach Doman.

“I just like the style of play,” Mendenhall said. “I like the run and play action mix, with then the chance to spread out and throw the football. We’re very versatile, and we have the weapons – I’m impressed with the talent we have – to be able to pull off the balance that we have.”

He feels that Doman's new Offense will force opposing defenses to concentrate, play physical ans be balanced which is a difficult task for anyone.

He also feels that Riley Moore needs to be utilized and involved with the offense because of what he brings to the table. There are packages that are being designed just for his talents.

The TE is presently being manned by committee although they believe that one guy will emerge.

The slot back position is an exciting opportunity to expand the offensive weapons. Falsev and JJ are perfect for this and will be utilized because of how they can get open and cause people to miss.

Doman indicated that they have 3 recruits that they are hoping to fill this position. They are not being recruited for playing slot back AR their school but as athletes who will fit in because of their skill set. He is going after the best Athletes and finding/creating positions for them based upon what they can do once they catch the ball.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Re: Bronco's Assessment of Doman's Offense

Post by BYULV »

Who is Riley Moore?

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Good catch - My bad. RM is an investigator that we teach -I meant Riley Nelson. However, they both have big heads, lots of hair and wear small shirts :-)

crh55
Freshman

Post by crh55 »

byucougar1 wrote:Good catch - My bad. RM is an investigator

Are you serving a mission?

ESPN the NEW Home of BYU Live Sports
https://twitter.com/cougarback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

crh55 wrote:
byucougar1 wrote:Good catch - My bad. RM is an investigator

Are you serving a mission?

Wow! Apparently so. LOL! That's a committed Cougar Football fan. He's probably in Russia. Ha-ha-ha!

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Ward mission leader in AR - feels like a foreign country (i.e. Russia)

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I loved the offense when I saw it Saturday. You honestly could not tell from formations what BYU would do, although we still passed mostly out of the spread or shotgun formation wit hHeaps. More under center though, which I liked. The defense ran base formations and did not get too creative, and many guys sat on D, but the O still looked dynamic. And I can not stress enough how much better the WR core looked as a group. Better off the line, better at turning DBs, just better. Big and athletic looking too. WIth improved technique, this group will be a handful. Oh--Apo is the real deal too.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

How does what you saw in the scrimmage translate to how we will do this season? What type of defense will give us trouble or challenges (I.e. FSU). same question regarding our defense?

radius19
BLUEshirt

Post by radius19 »

I was really impressed as well by the offense in general. Looked much more dynamic, less predictable (didn't see Anae's bread and butter 'tight end wide split in motion back to the line and running the ball off the right guard') and more explosive, particularly the WR's. Matthews looked great across the middle but dude needs to add 20 lbs. Wasn't overly blown away by the defense BUT like has been mentioned here and elsewhere some weren't playing, 1's and 2's where shuffled in and out, etc.
byucougar1, I don't really think that FSU from 2 years ago, if that's what your referring to, had that stellar of a defense. Our boys just made some dumb decisions, overpursued the same freaking play every time on defense and max tried to do to much. FSU d wasn't what shut us down at all in that game. Last year, we ran the ball the whole game and were in it up until the third quarter. I'm not really sure it was ever because of their defense.

And that's when I knew...
ThrowbackBlue
BLUEshirt

Post by ThrowbackBlue »

byucougar1 wrote:Good catch - My bad. RM is an investigator that we teach -I meant Riley Nelson. However, they both have big heads, lots of hair and wear small shirts :-)

I may be misunderstanding your comment regarding Riley Nelson having a big head, but as someone who personally knows Riley, I would like to dispel this allegation. I've only known Riley about six months but I typically spend time with him for a few hours each week.

He's a really level-headed guy, incredibly athletic, confident, and humble. He works at the MTC in addition to going to school and participating in football. Riley also has a clear understanding of his role as a player at BYU. He is not bitter in the least bit and busts his butt in work outs. He is definitely a team player and the coaches absolutely love him. I hope he gets some opportunities to contribute on the field because he has definitely earned it.

Think what you will of Riley, but this is how I know him.