I liked the new wrinkles

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I liked the new wrinkles

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote: Image
Hey, that looks like my Dad! :lol:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

declocoug wrote:Halfway through the 3rd Q I was wondering what all these new tweaks were. Someone help me out, but why did we pull this stuff out for Wy. Wouldn't that be the ideal situation to sit tight and simply "execute" to perfection everything that Wyoming is expecting???

Does this effectively show our hand to teams that are coming up? I would have loved to pull all these "trick" plays out for Utah and keep them guessing. What's the reasoning behind using it on lowly Wyoming???
I know what you're saying. One silver lining is that the next three teams have to take time preparing for it, and may dilute the effectiveness of their game preparation...speaking in a Pollyannish sort of way.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Florwood wrote:
declocoug wrote:Halfway through the 3rd Q I was wondering what all these new tweaks were. Someone help me out, but why did we pull this stuff out for Wy. Wouldn't that be the ideal situation to sit tight and simply "execute" to perfection everything that Wyoming is expecting???

Does this effectively show our hand to teams that are coming up? I would have loved to pull all these "trick" plays out for Utah and keep them guessing. What's the reasoning behind using it on lowly Wyoming???
I know what you're saying. One silver lining is that the next three teams have to take time preparing for it, and may dilute the effectiveness of their game preparation...speaking in a Pollyannish sort of way.
That's one of the reasons why I'd be upset if I were a Utah fan. Jordan Wynn is now my starting QB. He missed out on seven games of experience. But because he has now played, TCU has some game film on him to break down and analyze and then exploit this week. If I were a Utah fan (and thank goodness I'm not) I would have preferred to either start Wynn from the start of the year or spring him on TCU with no film, available to evaluate.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

kitic77 wrote: That's one of the reasons why I'd be upset if I were a Utah fan. Jordan Wynn is now my starting QB. He missed out on seven games of experience. But because he has now played, TCU has some game film on him to break down and analyze and then exploit this week. If I were a Utah fan (and thank goodness I'm not) I would have preferred to either start Wynn from the start of the year or spring him on TCU with no film, available to evaluate.
Utah was afraid they would lose the Wyoming game if Cain started the 2nd half, plain and simple. No turning back from there.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yeah, the likely could have lost the Wyoming game. The Utes have gotten by with their "great" defense but they're about to go up against a complete team. A team that can score. That can throw the ball. That can run the ball. That can play smoothering defense - the kind they haven't seen yet. I fully believe the Utes are going to be WORKED for the first time in more than two years (since UNLV 2007). I'll be more surprised if they lose by less than 10 than if they lose by more than 30.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!