Gary Patterson

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gary Patterson

Post by EM_Puma »

It will be interesting, whether or not TCU makes it to a BCS bowl, whether Gary Patterson will be back next year or not. I guess it depends on what coaching positions are open and available. If I were Patterson, I'd be very selective, like Oscar Meyer was in picking Florida over Notre Dame. I know that there were some inquiries last off season, one being Auburn I believe, but I was surprised then that he was still at TCU. He might like TCU a lot, but it has to be hard to pass up the money that you could make elsewhere and you would think that he has to be, like Urban Meyer was at the end of his second season at Utah, one of the hottest tickets out there with this probably being his fourth 11 plus win season.

Last night during the halftime of the USF/Rutgers game, May and Holtz were slobbering all over Patterson and TCU. Holtz went as far as to say that TCU would have done very well in the Big 12, making it sound like the only one that could give them any challenge would be Texas and as they said, TCU would love to get a shot at them in the national championship. Texas and TCU though are probably one of the most unlikely of the possible national championship possibilities because that would only happen if both Alabama and Florida lost between now and the end and while we know one will, I can't see both. To me, it will be far more of a tragedy for college football if TCU runs the table and doesn't get a shot at the national title than it was for Utah. I think Utah had a great bowl win last season, but generally speaking, talk of their prowness as a national champion contender to me was overexagerated. Great season, not national championship caliber. TCU on the other hand hits me as a team that should merit the opportunity.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Gary Patterson

Post by SpiffCoug »

Patterson has turned down BCS jobs in the past. I've heard rumors of Colorado looking at Whittingham. If Patterson and Whittingham eventually move on from the MWC to a BCS team, I hope it's not a lateral move. IMO, going from Utah to Colorado or from TCU to say Baylor would be a step down in my opinion.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Coach P makes over $2M a yar at TCU, and not all BCS coaches make that coin. He has a plum job at a school he can now recruit to and build up, make tons of money, and have a student body, trustee board and alumni that love him. At $2M a year, why leave, unless a top 10 job opened that doubled his pay. Otherwise, he stays.

As far as Utah 2008 goes, I think they could play with any team on any given day last year because their D was good enough. 3 NFL players drafted from it last year, 3-4 more after this year. 7 defensive players with NFL ability is elite level. The offense was just ok, but that D, much like TCU's this year, was for real. I would salivate at our chances of a national title with a D like that is all I know.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Wazzou still needs a good coach...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt

Post by cachevalleycougar »

As does UNM - yeah Lobos! :bug:

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

Mars wrote:
I will second that!

GO COUGARS!!!
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

wazzucoug97 wrote:
Mars wrote:
I will second that!

Robb Akey has Wazzou ties. How bout him? I am a fan, and I knew him when I played collegiate golf at Weber State, where he both played and coached for the football team in the late 80's and early 90s. He was a Mike Price guy, too, which would go over well at Wazzou. Good coach, way intense.
Last edited by Lawboy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Mars wrote:
They have a coach?!? No way!

88Coug
Recruit

Post by 88Coug »

Patterson's wife is from Fort Worth. Patterson gets everything he wants at TCU. Patterson has a perfect recruiting area. TCU is No. 4 with BCS game and a chance at the BCS title. He is highly compensated. Why does he need another job?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Think Patterson would go for a position at BYU coaching under Mendenhall??? :evil: