Key to win: Max keeping his cool

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Key to win: Max keeping his cool

Post by jonnylingo »

Put me in the I love Max category. I have yelled at our own fans during games to shut up when they are criticizing max. People who think he sucks or isn't doing enough simply have no perspective and are straight up stupid. We have been very successful thanks to Max and his abilities.

Now that that is out of the way, the one thing that is obvious is that when max gets really fired up, he starts throwing picks. Not sure what it is, but saw it again against Air Force. After getting hit late a few times and a couple of HORRENDOUS calls, Max was really upset and wanted to win that game all by himself. The result, interceptions. Its like clockwork. Same thing happened last year in the Utah game and a few other times.

I think Max and Doman know this. Max has managed to keep his cool throughout this season and avoided the problem in my opinion. The first time I feel like it reared its head was last Saturday at Air Force. I think he let the game get in his head a little for a little bit there. He needs to play with emotion but not get too fired up where he starts playing tight or forcing things.

When he takes what the d gives him, remains calm, and executes. we win. OU was a great example of that. He remained calm and confident throughout that whole game. That drive up the field at the end of the game was magic. He won the game by taking what the d gave him and not forcing things.

I trust that will happen this Saturday but in my opinion this is one of the keys to the game. (not that my opinion is worth much admittedly and only based on what i see and hear from the outside)

I sure hope max and the other seniors can go out with a win. They deserve it. We have been blessed with an amazing few years of football thanks to them.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Key to win: Max keeping his cool

Post by Lawboy »

Luckily, Utah can not pressure like they did last year. no Kruger, no Shelby, less pressure. Max loses it a little when really pressed and forces things. I think Utah is going to try to pressure him because they know this, but that means blitzes. If our O-line and Tonga pass protect, we will throttle Utah. And I think they do hold up. Only 2 teams to really shut us down were TCU and OU, and both had dominant front 4's that did not blitz to pressure. You blitz us, we expose you. Utah is not in the TCU and OU class for defense this year.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

Seriously, I wish we'd just dust off the '96 game plan and rush it all night long. The pukes admitted that they knew BYU would be too cocky and stubborn to abandon the pass last year, even if we were up. So they sold out on the rush and focused entirely on making Max beat them with his arm. That's why we were able to average 7.1 yards per carry last year.

Just hit them with a healthy does of Unga, Kariya, DiLuigi and Tonga and wear that 'vaunted defense' down. Someone else mentioned on another board that the only way to beat speed is to run right at it. Just pound the ball against their speedy but undersized defense and see how long they last. Then every time they start to creep up in the box, hit them with a deep ball to McKay to stretch them back out again.

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

gmj81 wrote:Seriously, I wish we'd just dust off the '96 game plan and rush it all night long. The pukes admitted that they knew BYU would be too cocky and stubborn to abandon the pass last year, even if we were up. So they sold out on the rush and focused entirely on making Max beat them with his arm. That's why we were able to average 7.1 yards per carry last year.

Just hit them with a healthy does of Unga, Kariya, DiLuigi and Tonga and wear that 'vaunted defense' down. Someone else mentioned on another board that the only way to beat speed is to run right at it. Just pound the ball against their speedy but undersized defense and see how long they last. Then every time they start to creep up in the box, hit them with a deep ball to McKay to stretch them back out again.
Good point. I think I agree. But it seems as though we struggle with the correct balance. We either run it all the time and our throwing game never gets the timing and rythm going or we just throw it too much. Our offense however when balanced and flowing is amazing to watch.

I am hoping for a well-balanced offensive game where we are running and throwing keeping thereby keeping the utes on their heels. But if the run is working and they aren't committing enough to stop it just keep pounding it. I imagine Utah's gameplan won't be much different from last year.

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

Lawboy wrote:Luckily, Utah can not pressure like they did last year. no Kruger, no Shelby, less pressure. Max loses it a little when really pressed and forces things. I think Utah is going to try to pressure him because they know this, but that means blitzes. If our O-line and Tonga pass protect, we will throttle Utah. And I think they do hold up. Only 2 teams to really shut us down were TCU and OU, and both had dominant front 4's that did not blitz to pressure. You blitz us, we expose you. Utah is not in the TCU and OU class for defense this year.
Max has done well with handling pressure this year. He is smarter and throws the ball away much less. I worry more about when he gets "too" emotional and competitive, where he begins trying to force things rather than patiently taking what the defense gives him.

I agree, less pressure on him this year will give him more time to pick utah's d apart. furthermore his experience and maturity will help him handle the pressure that does come without turning it over. but he needs to keep his cool and patiently win this game.

i feel really good about this game. That worries me.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

The numbers I'd like to find:
Max Hall's sacks in the first 11 games last year versus Max Hall's sacks in 11 games so far this season.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I count 17 sacks allowed before the Utah game last year. I count 16 sacks allowed so far this year.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ttexastim
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by ttexastim »

Lawboy wrote:Luckily, Utah can not pressure like they did last year. no Kruger, no Shelby, less pressure. Max loses it a little when really pressed and forces things. I think Utah is going to try to pressure him because they know this, but that means blitzes. If our O-line and Tonga pass protect, we will throttle Utah. And I think they do hold up. Only 2 teams to really shut us down were TCU and OU, and both had dominant front 4's that did not blitz to pressure. You blitz us, we expose you. Utah is not in the TCU and OU class for defense this year.
AHEM ... we do have a Kruger this year. And I hope he has a great game!! :) I sure miss Paul though!

Go UTES!!
ttexastim
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by ttexastim »

I think you guys just hit the nail on the head. If you were to just run at us all night, it would work. HOWEVER ... if you did that, the fans would begin booing, because 3 yard runs, are not as fun to watch as passes. Combine that with the fact that BYU is "QB Univerisity" and I don't think Anae will give it up. Watch for Utah to really try at first to contain the run, and then just sit back and pick of passes. (at least, that's how I hope it turns out)

On the topic of this thread ... I'm not sure I can see Max with a calm head in this one. He's a fireball, and this is the rivalry game. The players on both sides are going to be spewing venom at each other, and I guess I just don't see him being the kind of guy who can listen to that and let it fall by the wayside. I think our guys will get in his head and cause him to make some poor decisions.

Go UTES!!
jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

ttexastim wrote:I think you guys just hit the nail on the head. If you were to just run at us all night, it would work. HOWEVER ... if you did that, the fans would begin booing, because 3 yard runs, are not as fun to watch as passes. Combine that with the fact that BYU is "QB Univerisity" and I don't think Anae will give it up. Watch for Utah to really try at first to contain the run, and then just sit back and pick of passes. (at least, that's how I hope it turns out)

On the topic of this thread ... I'm not sure I can see Max with a calm head in this one. He's a fireball, and this is the rivalry game. The players on both sides are going to be spewing venom at each other, and I guess I just don't see him being the kind of guy who can listen to that and let it fall by the wayside. I think our guys will get in his head and cause him to make some poor decisions.
That is my worry.