Weis is done at Notre Dame

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Weis is done at Notre Dame

Post by snoscythe »

Lawboy wrote:ESPN has the short list as:
Meyer
Kelly
Patterson

Some speculate that if Meyer does take it, he grabs Sanford to be his OC. I think Sanford ends up at Florida with Meyer regardless.
It would appear that TCU and their boosters have made a preemptive strike and buttoned down Patterson in Ft Worth for the foreseeable future with a long-term extension today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/ne ... id=4703348

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Smart move. It will keep TCU strong for the forseeable future. I guess it's good for the MWC too.

Mithrandir
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mithrandir »

Lawboy wrote: And let's be clear, Patterson can recruit. The guy is the #5 school in Texas--at best--and he still puts together amazing teams with 3-4 star guys, and no real 5 star talent...
Since when has TCU gotten 3 and 4 star talent in any great quantity? BYU's recruiting classes consistently outrank TCU's...and not just by a little bit. Patterson is an absolute genius at taking raw, unheralded athletes and turning them into NFL calibre football players. It's uncanny.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
westidahocougar
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by westidahocougar »

Mithrandir wrote:
Lawboy wrote: And let's be clear, Patterson can recruit. The guy is the #5 school in Texas--at best--and he still puts together amazing teams with 3-4 star guys, and no real 5 star talent...
Since when has TCU gotten 3 and 4 star talent in any great quantity? BYU's recruiting classes consistently outrank TCU's...and not just by a little bit. Patterson is an absolute genius at taking raw, unheralded athletes and turning them into NFL calibre football players. It's uncanny.
I tend to think that BYU's coaches are very good as well, but am of the opinion that by in large, the "star" system that evaluates high school talent is a terrible way of ranking recruiting classes.

I heard a good quote the other day about Notre Dame (who consistently out recruits everyone based on the star system). I cant remember the reporters name, but he was on the sidelines of the Notre Dame vs Pitt game and said Pitt had much bigger, faster, and stronger players, and that it wasnt even close.... The recruiting services tell you otherwise, but the play on the field seems to disprove these star based services more often than not....

pwride-Imposter

Post by pwride-Imposter »

snoscythe wrote:
Lawboy wrote:ESPN has the short list as:
Meyer
Kelly
Patterson

Some speculate that if Meyer does take it, he grabs Sanford to be his OC. I think Sanford ends up at Florida with Meyer regardless.
It would appear that TCU and their boosters have made a preemptive strike and buttoned down Patterson in Ft Worth for the foreseeable future with a long-term extension today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/ne ... id=4703348
Yes, that was until they heard Charlie Chubs Weis was interested in the TCU head coaching position. It now looks like Charlie will be coming the MWC and Patterson is out of a job. Weis and his waist line should fit right in in Texas where everything is bigger.