I don't understand this (Notre Dame arrogance)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

I don't understand this (Notre Dame arrogance)

Post by Mars »

I don't like Weis, but I do like Notre Dame. Really, what's not to like? Strong football tradition, both winning and stuff like Touchdown Jesus, and the commitment the administration and fans put into it all. And they do that with a strong RELIGIOUS and ACADEMIC background. They're no Alabama.

BUT...
THIS, I don't understand-

"Notre Dame also must decide whether it wants to go to a minor bowl game. Safety Kyle McCarthy, one of the captains, said team leaders will let Swarbrick know the players’ feelings later this week. “We’re not going to go play in a game if 10 guys want to play and 70 guys don’t. The only way we’re going to do it is if we’re full force ahead,” he said. “We’re going to talk to the team this week and decide.”
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... &type=lgns

They're 6-6 and they think they may be too good for a bowl game? Gag me with a spoon! :sick:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: I don't understand this (Notre Dame arrogance)

Post by hawkwing »

Going to ANY bowl game is a good way to ensure a losing season.

Mithrandir
Recruit

Post by Mithrandir »

What red-blooded kid doesn't want to play another football game? I would go if for no other reason than to get some of my younger players some reps. To say nothing of the additional paractice it allows your squad. I would use it as a winter camp and scrimmage.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

especially with their crappy bowl record, why would they turn down a bowl game they might have a chance to win?

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

Mithrandir wrote:What red-blooded kid doesn't want to play another football game? I would go if for no other reason than to get some of my younger players some reps. To say nothing of the additional paractice it allows your squad. I would use it as a winter camp and scrimmage.
Agreed. What is wrong with these guys. Nobody but the seniors know what it's like to win more than 7 games in a season and you think a bowl game is BENEATH you? What a joke.

You've got a lot going on that weekend cupcake? Your fat little girlfriend wants to spend more time with you ... in rural Indiana? You are getting your #$!@^& tuition paid to play football but you figure that only means you play in the games you feel up for? Give me a break. The only reason I'm not completely blown away by this behavior is because your #$!@^& quarterback rolled up to his "I'm committing to ND New Conference" at the college football hall of fame in a stretch Hummer Limousine where he announced he wanted to win multiple national titles with ND. Do you think maybe, just maybe, you've overestimated yourself just a little bit? Maybe, just maybe, you are not really god's gift to football? Or maybe, just maybe, this really is a good move on your part so that you never have to admit to your grandkids that you were on the ND team that got run off the Alamo-bowl field by Louisiana-Monroe? You just have to admit to yourself you gave up.

Knute Rockne just threw up a little in his mouth (may he rest in peace).

Loyal Strong True
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Based on this attitude, I hope they get completely snubbed and no bowl even invites them. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I saw this to and thought it was odd.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Wow, what a bunch of arrogant, spoiled babies. You are barely bowl eligible, and you expect a better bowl game just because your helmet is gold? Stupid.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

I believe its not without precedence at ND. I don't remember how long it's been, but it is recent history where ND rejected a bowl bid because they felt it was beneath them. By that I think they meant they didn't play up to ND's standards and to go to a bowl game was an insult to ND's heritage.

I think it's honorable myself. Given the bar is now a 5-6 season record against FBS teams, provided you get a win over an FCS team too, really cheapens what earning a bowl bid means.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

How is it "underneath them" if they only won six games? That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,