Dissolve the MWC...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
westidahocougar
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dissolve the MWC...

Post by westidahocougar »

declocoug wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:Do you guys really think the MWC is the only conference with boring conference games?

Haven't any of you watched a Big-10 game this year?

Every conference has to have losers, and if we replace our current bottom feeders with good teams from the WAC, we'll just change the names of the bottom feeders.

However, I am in favor of any expansion or dissolution that results in a conference that mathematically qualifies as a BCS AQ conference.
What are you talking about, you mean to tell me you found those Iowa, come from behind, need 4 turnovers in one quarter from the other team, games boring?

You're right, me too.
Well, yeah, the big ten is about as boring as it could possibly get. They are probably at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to game excitement.

But, if you look at the PAC-10, SEC, most of the conference games have some level of excitement. Yes there always has to be a bottom feeder, but if the middle and lower teams are good (and win OOC games) than the whole conference slate is full of good matchups.

Recreating the MWC/WAC with a football rich group of schools would rival the depth of the PAC-10/SEC, and vault us up into a real #3 position in the conference pecking order. Yeah, somebody has to lose the conference every year.

The whole goal is to get an autobid, and the best way to do that is dissolve and reorganize the conference with dedicated football schools.

Wouldnt BYU's conference schedule be awesome if it looked like this:

Utah State
CSU
Hawaii
Air Force
Boise State
TCU
Fresno State
Houston
Utah

Add in a couple of PAC ten teams, maybe a big neutral site game (ala OU) and maybe a warmup game and I guarantee there would be more demand for season tickets, and much more national interest in our games....That would be a brutal schedule, but something to get excited about.
Plus, we could lose a game, still win the conference, and get to the BCS.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

I say blow it all up.

1. Notre Dame goes to the Big 10.
2. The Big East kicks out all of the basketball only Catholic schools and adds Boston College (natural fit; decent in both football and basketball), Memphis (great in basketball), UCF (7th largest campus in the country and natural rival for SFla), and Marshall (rival for West Virginia, great movie).
3. The ACC picks up East Carolina.
4. The SEC remains the same.
5. Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, AZ, and ASU leave the Pac-10 and merge with the Big 12 South creating the most powerful conference on the planet.
6. The Big 12 north picks up BYU, Utah, Washington, WSU, Oregon, and OSU to form a new conference
7. Hawaii, Fresno St., SDSU, SJSU, Nevada, UNLV, Idaho, BSU, UNLV, Wyoming, CSU, and Utah St. form the new WAC
8. Air Force, NM, NMSU, UTEP, TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, N. Texas, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, and Tulane form the Southwest Conference.
9. The MAC remains the same
10. Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, UAB, Southern Miss, FIU, FAU, MTSU, Western Kentucky, Arkansas St., Army, and Navy form the everbody else conference.

byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byutx »

I can't stand Hawaii, the athletic dept. or their fans. FSU is just as bad. These teams are just a hair better than USU-Hell, I'd rather add the Aggies.

Add BSU and none else from the WAC and play all 9 other teams (forget about the problems w/ scheduling, etc.), or add Houston and Tulsa and play a championship game. WAC has one good to great team (depending on the year) and 8 pieces of crap.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

...it's gonna be a long summer if we are already doing "expansion" threads.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Here's an idea-NO. Why would you dissolve a conference that's getting tons of national respect and is on the brink of a BCS autobid?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Schmoe wrote:Here's an idea-NO. Why would you dissolve a conference that's getting tons of national respect and is on the brink of a BCS autobid?
Because then the WAC would be better than a conference that no longer exists and, if you're a WAC homer, you can finally feel good about your joke of a conference. :)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Here is the solution. Take BSU and have 2 bottom feeders voluntarily leave the conference. That gives 4 top 25 teams or half the conference. Then you have a couple middle teams and a couple bottom feeders. The BCS would have to give the auto bid, the conference has no weekness to deny the bid. Then you add back those other tow teams for a 10 team conference. That is why they would agree to leave.

Then with the bid and the extra money, the teams can improve their recruiting and invest in facilities. If the bottom feeders do not do this, the bid will be taken away in the next review.

The BCS can be talked in to giving the bid to quiet the critics and the argument that chances are pretty high that the conference champ would get a bid anyways. So they are not really giving up anything.

westidahocougar
Recruit

byutx wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Here's an idea-NO. Why would you dissolve a conference that's getting tons of national respect and is on the brink of a BCS autobid?
Because then the WAC would be better than a conference that no longer exists and, if you're a WAC homer, you can finally feel good about your joke of a conference. :)
Ha ha I am a WAC homer, but I continue to say that I think the WAC sucks. At the same time though, the MWC will not be getting an auto bid without raiding the WAC, that is fact. The bottom of both conferences is filled with pure garbage football programs. These garbage teams are not dedicated to even trying to play and win football. They are historically bad.

If the MWC wants an autobid, they have to reorganize. Period. I am just saying, that if that has to happen, why not create a new conference of dedicated football programs. Why add BSU and become barely AQ status eligible, when you can re-shape football in the mountain west region and become a power conference? It would sure make BYU football a lot more fun.

westidahocougar
Recruit

scott715 wrote:Here is the solution. Take BSU and have 2 bottom feeders voluntarily leave the conference. That gives 4 top 25 teams or half the conference. Then you have a couple middle teams and a couple bottom feeders. The BCS would have to give the auto bid, the conference has no weekness to deny the bid. Then you add back those other tow teams for a 10 team conference. That is why they would agree to leave.

Then with the bid and the extra money, the teams can improve their recruiting and invest in facilities. If the bottom feeders do not do this, the bid will be taken away in the next review.

The BCS can be talked in to giving the bid to quiet the critics and the argument that chances are pretty high that the conference champ would get a bid anyways. So they are not really giving up anything.
I like that idea if it would work. But why not just add two good teams rather than bring back two crappy ones?....

This is all pure speculation and the reality of this is far fetched, but its fun to discuss:)

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

We PROBABLY won't get an auto-bid without inviting BSU, but we don't need to dissolve anything or bring anyone else over. We will have three teams in the top 25 for the foreseeable future, including what may be the best team in the country this year (and a potential top 10 BYU). We don't need any of the other mediocre garbage from the WAC and we don't need twelve teams.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,