Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

Post by Schmoe »

Ok, so if Max's "terrible" comments were "the straw that broke the camel's back," then what were all the other straws before it? I think that about 99% of the "straws" produced by Cougar athletics over the past century have reflected very positively on the teams, the university, and the church.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

I'm not sure if Schmoe's comment was for me, but I'll give it a go. I absolutely agree that the athletic program at BYU has overwhelmingly produced positive press and feelings toward the university and the church. However, at my employer the good work that is done is largely uncommented on and is thought to be "just doing your job." On the other hand, shoddy work or errors are pounced on, discussed ad nauseum and held up in staff meetings as what not to do, in a good-intentioned effort to avoid those mistakes in the future. I imagine that the same is true almost everywhere, including discussions about the BYU athletic program. During LaVell's career, there were very few bad episodes (at least those that were public enough for me to know about), but I doubt that there were high-level meetings to discuss how well things were going.
A few comments and a scuffle, though, and it appears that BYU leadership went into a tizzy. They are not prone to knee-jerk reactions, as has been discussed in this thread, but they are human and as such are reactionary. Public relations hiccups like the (ongoing) McMahon tensions, the Crowton-watch gang rape, Van Noy/Teo/recruiting drinking episodes, rivalry hatred, etc. eventually add up. The years of good behavior fades from memory, but the few questionable moments remain fresh for BYU administrators.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

cougdoc wrote:They are not prone to knee-jerk reactions, as has been discussed in this thread, but they are human and as such are reactionary.
Exactly. Being a GA or school leader doesn't = perfection or an immunity to making stupid decisions. If BYU athletics were put to an end, it wouldn't be because the Lord commanded it, it would be because imperfect humans who aren't quite "caught up" in the world today see ending the athletics program as something that will improve our "image." It would be foolish, and it wouldn't make sense, but that doesn't mean it's beyond ANY human being to do, because all humans are, well, stupid.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

My comment wasn't meant for anyone specifically, but I appreciate you addressing it. I just had a hard time coming up with any real big problems that athletics have ever created at the school.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

Italics wrote:
cougdoc wrote:They are not prone to knee-jerk reactions, as has been discussed in this thread, but they are human and as such are reactionary.
Exactly. Being a GA or school leader doesn't = perfection or an immunity to making stupid decisions. If BYU athletics were put to an end, it wouldn't be because the Lord commanded it, it would be because imperfect humans who aren't quite "caught up" in the world today see ending the athletics program as something that will improve our "image." It would be foolish, and it wouldn't make sense, but that doesn't mean it's beyond ANY human being to do, because all humans are, well, stupid.
You and I will agree that ending the BYU sports programs would most likely not be a decision driven by inspiration, but my reasoning would be a little different. I have trouble believing that everything a GA does is inspired. Do they pray about which restaurant to go to for dinner? Certainly not. Unlike some of my family members, I think that most decisions we humans make are left up to us because they just aren't weighty enough to deserve inspiration. Don't flame me for this, because I am a huge BYU fan who spends way too much time watching reruns of Cougar sports from 20 years ago, but I don't feel that whether BYU sports stays or goes is important enough to deserve revelation. We would all mourn its loss for a while, but would it really be life-altering?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I agree about inspiration but disagree, this decision would be huge. The firesides would go away, probably less people would serve missions, less media ect. You don't just give up, you try to solve the problem.