Pitta and George in the NFL Draft

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by snoscythe »

BerliNY wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Considering all the accolades that Dennis Pitta is receiving (and deserves) it's so nice that Andrew George got his moment... and what a moment it was.

I cant' wait to see them both in the NFL.
Word and Word. What do we know about George's NFL draft prospects (or Pitta's for that matter) specific teams? projected rounds? etc.
NFLDraftScout (my favorite free draft service as they use bona-fide NFL scouts instead of talking heads) has Pitta as the #4 TE in the draft, going in the 3rd Round. They have George as the #24 ranked TE in the draft, going undrafted.

However--they do not have a player analysis worked up for George, which means none of their scouts has actually sat down and evaluated George on tape yet. I think George is a sleeper and will go in the 5th or 6th round. Getting 2nd team all-MWC as second-string is sure to make some people look twice, and pro-day isn't going to hurt him either. You only need one team to like you to get drafted.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

BerliNY wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Considering all the accolades that Dennis Pitta is receiving (and deserves) it's so nice that Andrew George got his moment... and what a moment it was.

Word and Word. What do we know about George's NFL draft prospects (or Pitta's for that matter) specific teams? projected rounds? etc.
Let's not forget that Johnny Harline was not drafted and not in the NFL... putting up great numbers doesn't make you a great NFL prospect; though George and Pitta have some measurables (like height) that Harline does not.

These guys are 2nd day picks (anyone that says 1st round or 2nd round huffs too much superglue). George might be the better overall prospect to be honest (at least in terms of what he can do in the combine) but he doesn't have the glamor resume'
(I'm not sure what to expect of the 40 times of either of these guys)
Pitta is a little like Austin Collie (Collie led his position nationally in yards received last year too); he needs to end up in the right system or he may actually not make the cut during the summer. Austin is in the perfect situation; let's hope Dennis finds his.
Pitta can contribute to a team that uses the tight end like a receiver type and not as much for run blocking, so that limits his usefulness and demand in the draft; Pitta reminds me of a poor mans Tony Gonzalez. His hands and route running are comparable, but his physicality leaves a little to desire. I just can't see Dennis lining up next to the tackle and run blocking; which is why I dont' see him going early.

I think the question really comes down to how well these guys measure up in the combine athletically; and how much need there is in the NFL at a relatively underused position.

Andrew George looks like a poor mans Todd Heap and seems to be the more physical guy at the line of scrimmage; which I think will guarantee that he'll be drafted.
Last edited by craigoscarson on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StatsCougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Pitta and George in the NFL Draft

Post by StatsCougar »

I remember Bronco mentioning that scouts have come to watch both Pitta and George. They liked what they saw, for different reasons.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Chad Lewis has guaranteed that both of these guys will get drafted. What's more he still has lots connections to the NFL so you can be certain he's talking them up to his people. And he has also gone on record saying they are both much better and much more prepared coming into the draft than he ever was.

Jonny Harline blew it at the combine otherwise he would have been drafted. As it was, he hung around for a year on various practice squads before he got injured in a pick-up game of basketball. Dennis and Andrew are going to be picked up, if by no one else the Colts or the Eagles. Guarantee it. Reid knows what they are capable of and would consider them a steal if they dropped far enough. I think the Colts are taking quite a liking to their BYU players as well and they could very well wind up locking up Dallas Clark's future replacement in this draft in either of the two BYU TEs.

westidahocougar
Recruit

Post by westidahocougar »

I think Pitta will be drafted, but I don't see George being picked. This year is pretty deep for tight ends coming out of college, which does have quite an impact on who gets picked, but is not necessarily indicative of the talent of those who dont get drafted.

George will probably get a FA contract, and hopefully with the right fit will make it.

BYU players are making good strides in the NFL, and I think the reputation surrounding former BYU players is good, so that should give both guys a great shot.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

snoscythe wrote:
BerliNY wrote:

NFLDraftScout (my favorite free draft service as they use bona-fide NFL scouts instead of talking heads) has Pitta as the #4 TE in the draft, going in the 3rd Round. They have George as the #24 ranked TE in the draft, going undrafted.

However--they do not have a player analysis worked up for George, which means none of their scouts has actually sat down and evaluated George on tape yet. I think George is a sleeper and will go in the 5th or 6th round. Getting 2nd team all-MWC as second-string is sure to make some people look twice, and pro-day isn't going to hurt him either. You only need one team to like you to get drafted.
Thanks for picking this up Sno. Good info. Outside of NFL teams that have BYU connections, are there any specific teams that either need a quality TE or would otherwise be a good fit for Pitta or George?

Loyal Strong True
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Harline didn't get drafted because he had a poor combine. He didn't show well. He didn't give scouts a reason to go watch film on him. If Harline had prepared for the Combine, ran a good 40 and put up decent reps in the bench, then scouts would have watched film and wow, this guy's a playmaker. But he didn't. He gave scouts no reason to go watch film on a slow (so probably not fast enough to get open in the NFL), weak (so probably not strong enough to block in the NFL) TE.

I don't think Pitta will repeat this. I think he'll prepare for the combine. Run a good 40 and put up a good number on the bench. I think he'll get drafted early on the 2nd day (3rd or 4th round).

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

craigoscarson wrote:Let's not forget that Johnny Harline was not drafted and not in the NFL... putting up great numbers doesn't make you a great NFL prospect; though George and Pitta have some measurables (like height) that Harline does not.

These guys are 2nd day picks (anyone that says 1st round or 2nd round huffs too much superglue). George might be the better overall prospect to be honest (at least in terms of what he can do in the combine) but he doesn't have the glamor resume'
(I'm not sure what to expect of the 40 times of either of these guys)
Pitta is a little like Austin Collie (Collie led his position nationally in yards received last year too); he needs to end up in the right system or he may actually not make the cut during the summer. Austin is in the perfect situation; let's hope Dennis finds his.
Pitta can contribute to a team that uses the tight end like a receiver type and not as much for run blocking, so that limits his usefulness and demand in the draft; Pitta reminds me of a poor mans Tony Gonzalez. His hands and route running are comparable, but his physicality leaves a little to desire. I just can't see Dennis lining up next to the tackle and run blocking; which is why I dont' see him going early.

I think the question really comes down to how well these guys measure up in the combine athletically; and how much need there is in the NFL at a relatively underused position.

Andrew George looks like a poor mans Todd Heap and seems to be the more physical guy at the line of scrimmage; which I think will guarantee that he'll be drafted.
BYU has had several amazing TEs that didn't end up being good NFL TEs--Chris Smith and Gordon Hudson come to mind.

I think you're right about Andrew George being a better pro prospect than Pitta. He's more physical and at point is a better blocker. Pitta reminds of a slower Dallas Clark--who the Colts use as a big slot reciever (I believe Utect out of Minnesota is their traditional TE). I'm not sure if Pitta has the wheels to play slot TE in the NFL like he does now at BYU--I remember Clark had a 95 yard catch and run for a TD for Iowa. Not many TEs can do that (it's the first play of THIS VIDEO).

Back when Harline and Coats were in the draft, I knew Coats was the better prospect because of his strength and blocking ability. I think Pitta and George are a similar situation. That doesn't mean I think Pitta isn't a good pro prospect, because I sure he has the tool to success at that level. Hopefully, Pitta will be the Chad Lewis (also undrafted) to George's Itula Mili (drafted in the 6th round because he was more physical than Lewis). Both went on to be good NFL tight ends.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

FWIW, I have yet to see a draft board with Pitta below the late 4th round. I have also yet to see a board with George being drafted at all.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:FWIW, I have yet to see a draft board with Pitta below the late 4th round. I have also yet to see a board with George being drafted at all.

Draft boards are junk at this point. Especially past the 1st round.

Dennis gets the draft board mention right now because he's got name recognition. (deservedly so)

btw - for the above mention that there are a bunch of TEs coming out, I dont' see many with the type of size, strength and hands that George possesses (in fact several are 6'2 or less in the NCAA right now)

Andrew George has some physical tools that Dennis Pitta doesnt' and like the Harline/Coats argument above, I believe that George will be more impressive in the combine and get himself drafted.

Dennis is not without physical talents and size, but what he does at BYU as a slot type TE is not used a great deal in the NFL and Pitta is not a burner like Dallas Clark, etc.

The Chad Lewis (Pitta) Mili (George) comparison is fitting.