BYU Receiving Corps

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Receiving Corps

Post by jonnylingo »

Watching the Utah game, I noticed that despite Max having some time, his receivers just weren't open. Much credit needs to be given to utah's defensive scheme but it seems as though their defenders were just more athletic than our wide receivers.

I felt like that was our biggest problem on offense in the Utah game. Will these guys be better next year given their youth or are they just not fast enough?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BYU Receiving Corps

Post by hawkwing »

it's a matter of physicality and technique. They need to learn how to fight off the holding, and subtly pushoff, because Utah defenders are very hands on, all the way down field. They will never let go, because they know they will never get called for it.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

This is also a problem with our offensive system. The easiest way to free someone up from bump pressure is to send them in motion. We rarely use motion. Also you can line people up in different places in your formation and move them in motion to where you want them to be. For example, a couple of times Collie lined up as a runningback and then was motioned out as a receiver. The result is you likely end up with a safety or even better a linebacker on your best player. Didn't see that done at all this year...

Mithrandir
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

The quick answer is yes...

Post by Mithrandir »

they should be better next year. Chambers, Jacobsen and hafoka return, while hoffman and Apo join the fray. This will be the biggest/most athletic group of wideouts we've had at the Y in a long time.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
Y&Brit
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Y&Brit »

getting better and better

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

jonnylingo wrote: Watching the Utah game, I noticed that despite Max having some time, his receivers just weren't open. Much credit needs to be given to utah's defensive scheme but it seems as though their defenders were just more athletic than our wide receivers. I felt like that was our biggest problem on offense in the Utah game.
I wanted to see two things in the Utah game: Either run the ball with Harvey in the I-Formation, or throw it in Max Protect (keeping George/Kariya home to block while Jacobsen/Pitta/OC get open).

IMO, by far our biggest problem against Utah was our O-Line. They got absolutely OWNED. D-Linemen were breathing down Hall's neck all game long. I have no idea how many balls were batted down, but A LOT were. Screens were sometimes the only way out there (which we didn't do at all against TCU)...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

The receivers (excluding the TEs) are the weakest part of the offense by far. It doesn't really matter when you have a really good QB, TEs, and RB unless you are playing elite defenses like TCU.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mormonrasta wrote:The receivers (excluding the TEs) are the weakest part of the offense by far. It doesn't really matter when you have a really good QB, TEs, and RB unless you are playing elite defenses like TCU.
They're also the youngest group on our team.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

For the last two years, our WRs and TEs have simply been unable to get open against either TCU or Utah. Max faced probably his fierecest pass rush against both teams and when he did get time he had no one open to throw to.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

kitic77 wrote:For the last two years, our WRs and TEs have simply been unable to get open against either TCU or Utah. Max faced probably his fierecest pass rush against both teams and when he did get time he had no one open to throw to.

The answer to that is simple. Run the ball and throw on the play action. The last 2 years we abandoned the run against Utah even though it was successful.