Are we practicing yet?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Matty-B
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Are we practicing yet?

Post by Matty-B »

Any word on BYU's preparpation for the Bowl this year? The of it last year is no secret

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Are we practicing yet?

Post by SpiffCoug »

I believe so. I think Bronco said they were going to practice more for this bowl game than any of the previous four. He said they were going to have two Monday practices, two Tuesday, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see if they do a light scrimmage/simulated walkthrough on Saturday. I imagine they'll travel down to LV either next Friday or Saturday. I think we're going to see the best prepared BYU team yet in a bowl game. Remember in the two games the offense played well (05 and 06) it wasn't until the 2nd quarter that the team finally started clicking. I think they'll be clicking sooner.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think he said that they would practice 6 days a week up to the game.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

scott715 wrote:I think he said that they would practice 6 days a week up to the game.
You're right. On Monday Wrubell reported in his blog:

Bronco said the team will practice today and every day except Sundays ahead of the December 22nd bowl. He said the Cougars will practice "more" in Provo than they have ahead of previous Las Vegas Bowl games.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Wrubell reports: "Bronco has commented that practice has thus far been especially effective for Max Hall, who spends hours a day writing the words "I Do Not Hate Oregon State" on a chalkboard over and over again."

Hmmm, interesting.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Italics wrote:Wrubell reports: "Bronco has commented that practice has thus far been especially effective for Max Hall, who spends hours a day writing the words "I Do Not Hate Oregon State" on a chalkboard over and over again."

Hmmm, interesting.
Yeah that is interesting. Maybe Bronco has started listening us and seeing that Max doesn't play well with hatred, so he's trying to nip it in the bud.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Or perhaps Bronco has caught on to the notion that he gets EXTRA practices for his 2010 team, and to evaluate player improvement from the start of the season? I think 7-8 practice days for the bowl game are plenty, but the others can be used to let the young guys show what they got. I know I would give Nelson more reps with the first team on some days just to see how he handles it.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I'd would even do a scrimmage with the 3rd vs 4th string and give them some experience. Put Riley in there and see if he can throw and make the reads (PS tell him he can't run).

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

scott715 wrote:I'd would even do a scrimmage with the 3rd vs 4th string and give them some experience. Put Riley in there and see if he can throw and make the reads (PS tell him he can't run).
I'm pretty sure the coaches have been having Riley throw all season long in practice. I do like the idea of your scrimmage to give Riley some "live" experience and limiting him to passing. But I don't think the coaches have been waiting for bowl preparation to see if Riley can throw or not. Your post seems to imply that they don't have an idea if he can or not.

(8.4x
..................ATT
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

There is a difference between practice and live ball. I think there is something blocking his passing development. This idea might break him lose. Perhaps he needs to convince himself that he can make the throws. It also would help develop the younger guys in preparation for next year. I don't like the idea of throwing practices away. There is always something that can be accomplished.