Big T1e1n coaches and AD's want 12 teams

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BerliNY
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big T1e1n coaches and AD's want 12 teams

Post by BerliNY »

If they had any balls at all they'd go after TCU. Of course thi$ i$ all about something el$e $o they'll probably go after a team with larger fanba$e, e.g. BigLeast instead of a small church school in prime recruiting territory. But if it were about football, TCU would get an invitation tomorrow.

Loyal Strong True
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

That would really hurt us. I am surprised they have not done it. Or take a Big 12 team and then replace with TCU.

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

kiwibacon wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
StatsCougar wrote:The four leading canidates for that opening are:
Notre Dame
Cincinati
Pitt
West Virginia.

Unless Notre Dame is taken, the Big East is going to take another hit, and people will again wonder if they deserve an automatic bid. If I were a betting man, I bet they take Pitt. They have a great football tradition, and are good in basketball. They also form a natural rival to Penn St.
I'd put Rutgers over all of them except Notre Dame. The New York area interest would be attractive for the confrence. Cincy, WV, and Pitt are just overlap for Penn St. and Ohio St.

I also wouldn't count out Missouri.
ND
Missouri
Nebraska
Pitt
Cincy
Good Call on Nebraska!!! They truly have a national following. I wonder if they can be enticed to leave. When we look at expansion for the Big 10 I think first and foremost we need to consider the distribution of the Big 10 network. Any team that can add new subscribers or increase access by advancing it in a local cable or satellite tier will translate into big $$$ for the conference. Therefore, my new top 3 would be:

1. ND
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers (not great at sports, but we're talking NY/NJ access)
4. Missouri

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

The Big 10 has held a spot for Notre Dame since they expanded to 11 and they won't expand unless they get Notre Dame. The only way they go to 12 without Notre Dame is if the BCS requires a championship game for each conference.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Notre Dame already competes in the Big East in every sport except football, so they will have to work hard to pry them away from the BE and into the Big 10. But I do know that one of Charle Weis biggest complaints was that it is NC or bust for the school because they have no conference title to play for. If they join the Big 10 or Big East in football, they lose their special treatment in the BCS though, which I know everyone would love to see, except ND. I think ND would have an easier time winning a conf title in the BE, but those teams are not the natural rivalry game--the Big 10 ones are. They already play about 5 Big 10 teams per year in football, so it would not be a hard leap. I hope they do it, since it upsets the apple cart the least. The nightmare would be for a Big 12 team to go, and then for the Big 12 to add TCU. That would kill the MWC and force us to add Boise State,

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

mormonrasta wrote:
kiwibacon wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
StatsCougar wrote:The four leading canidates for that opening are:
Notre Dame
Cincinati
Pitt
West Virginia.

Unless Notre Dame is taken, the Big East is going to take another hit, and people will again wonder if they deserve an automatic bid. If I were a betting man, I bet they take Pitt. They have a great football tradition, and are good in basketball. They also form a natural rival to Penn St.
I'd put Rutgers over all of them except Notre Dame. The New York area interest would be attractive for the confrence. Cincy, WV, and Pitt are just overlap for Penn St. and Ohio St.

I also wouldn't count out Missouri.
ND
Missouri
Nebraska
Pitt
Cincy
Good Call on Nebraska!!! They truly have a national following. I wonder if they can be enticed to leave. When we look at expansion for the Big 10 I think first and foremost we need to consider the distribution of the Big 10 network. Any team that can add new subscribers or increase access by advancing it in a local cable or satellite tier will translate into big $$$ for the conference. Therefore, my new top 3 would be:

1. ND
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers (not great at sports, but we're talking NY/NJ access)
4. Missouri
Dang, I forgot on my list Rutgers. This will strictly be a $$$$ decision.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BerliNY wrote: If they had any balls at all they'd go after TCU.
Or if they were total idiots. This is the Big Ten we're discussing, not the Big XII. They might as well take Stanford or Miami. :roll:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYUROCKS
Junior

Post by BYUROCKS »

Well ESPN's Podcast talked of this today, and it sounds like they know they need a Big 10/12 champ game.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Notre Dame does not want to join a football conference because of their tv contract. I propose that we add them to the MWC and allow them to keep their tv money.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

scott715 wrote:Notre Dame does not want to join a football conference because of their tv contract. I propose that we add them to the MWC and allow them to keep their tv money.
That may be changing. As they continue to suck, I'm sure their next offer for their TV contract will be for less money. The teams in the SEC and Big 12 already get more money from their TV contract than Notre Dame does. The contract with the Big 10 pays each team a little bit less than Notre Dame's current pay out. Adding Notre Dame more than likely translates into a new TV deal for the Big 10 and they will receive the similar payouts to the SEC and Big 12.