#1 in Misery index

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
nickdutson
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

#1 in Misery index

Post by nickdutson »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /17959599/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article states that maybe we have just taken for granted what Bronco has done for the last 10 years. Do you feel this is the case? Have we plateaued and we shouldn't expect 10 win season anymore regardless of the competition?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Re: #1 in Misery index

Post by Cougarbib »

USC was #3. Sark in the hot seat already?

When does the fundraiser for Sark to replace Bronco take over the entire Internet swamping the $100 in the Kalani Fifita Sitake fund?
;)

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

can Sark even become BYU's head coach? I've seen a lot of talk (rumors?) that the HC at BYU must have a temple recommend???

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:can Sark even become BYU's head coach? I've seen a lot of talk (rumors?) that the HC at BYU must have a temple recommend???
Call it an unspoken requirement. There is nothing that says BYU can't hire a FB head coach that isn't a "card carrying" Mormon but I have heard that the board of trustees won't even consider candidates who aren't.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

then lets get that man baptized! hell-fire, BYU let him play qb as a kid.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:then lets get that man baptized! hell-fire, BYU let him play qb as a kid.
Was Tommy Hudspeth even LDS? Wait................. he brought in some really rough characters and there was a multiple player sex scandal according to a player I knew at the time. Maybe the unwritten rule started when he was let go.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

frdbtr wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:can Sark even become BYU's head coach? I've seen a lot of talk (rumors?) that the HC at BYU must have a temple recommend???
Call it an unspoken requirement. There is nothing that says BYU can't hire a FB head coach that isn't a "card carrying" Mormon but I have heard that the board of trustees won't even consider candidates who aren't.
I have heard this "rumored requirement." I hope it is not true. I would hope that BYU could hire a quality, best man for the job. The field of temple recommend worthy HC''s narrows the field dramatically. I would hope the "powers that be" are not so narrow minded.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Ddawg wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I have heard this "rumored requirement." I hope it is not true. I would hope that BYU could hire a quality, best man for the job. The field of temple recommend worthy HC''s narrows the field dramatically. I would hope the "powers that be" are not so narrow minded.
Aren't we really getting close to asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin here? We have a coach, there is no opening, there doesn't appear to be a need for looking for a new head coach for the forseeable future, I'm not sure how this is much of a concern here.

The last time they looked for head coaches, their first choice was Kyle Whittingham. He turned it down, and I have been thankfull on more than one occasion that he did. He's like Crowton 2.0. We wouldn't have our current uniforms, we'd have done an onside kick while up 40 plus points on an inferior opponent, we'd have a brilliant records against Utah, but a bunch more losses against inferior opponents. And a we'd have acoach who's a litteral "stupid things to say machine"

FWIW, I think that our hiring of coaches after Lavell has been spotty. Crowton was a miss, Whittingham was not a good fit here, and Bronco has been brilliant in the overall direction of the program, yet he has a down year, and a bunch of "fans" want him burned at the stake. I think that Bronco and Andy Reid are about the same coach. Reid is showing that he can coach, but Philly just got tired of winning moere than they had been doing before he got there, so they ran him out of town