Pick your top 4 reasons for current trainwreck

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Pick your top 4 variables to explain the BYU football trainwreck

Bronco stepping away from the D and DC job
13%
Howell's incompetence/not ready
11%
Morning practices
1%
Taysom Hill's loss to injury and loss of leadership
27%
Injuries to multiple key starters
20%
Independence requiring excessive travel and no conf champ to play for
1%
Recruiting has fallen off
1%
GFGH--not enough athletes and exhausting players (especally the D)
4%
Offense play calling (Is Anae not the guy?)
6%
Football 5th
2%
Below average D-line not getting pressure on QB, requiring risky blitzing, etc
14%
Overall job by Bronco as a HC, lack of discipline, cant get good Asst coaches, etc. Needs to go.
2%

Total votes: 128

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pick your top 4 reasons for current trainwreck

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I know some response options are more root cause and others more secondary, but I tried to capture as many reasons/variables as CC folks have mentioned. Top 4 represent 25% of the available options. I figured that would narrow things down.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Pick your top 4 reasons for current trainwreck

Post by snoscythe »

If you could add more than 10 options (which you can't), I would add "Secondary Not Getting Coaching Attention it Needs", but I just voted for the Howell incompetence option as it kind of falls under that one, though not completely.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

yes, there were some others i had to not include. but you are so right, that is a great one. I think Howell and Bronco must have thought that they would be the strenegth of the D and didnt need as much attnetion.
The other variable my bro-in-law suggested was the blitz audibles and schemes. Has Bronco's D been scouted out and become as predictable as Anae's O?

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Option #1 and Option #2 should be condensed into one option as it is all encompassing.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougs_Rule wrote:The other variable my bro-in-law suggested was the blitz audibles and schemes. Has Bronco's D been scouted out and become as predictable as Anae's O?
90% of Bronco's blitzes come on 3rd and long, and then Bronco doesn't blitz when they are playing from behind. That's your scouting report.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

It's the injuries guys. The guys behind the starters are highly talented (probably as talented or more than those who are starting other than Stewart, obviously) but lack experience. This was their year to get their feet wet, and then possibly take over positions late in the season.

The defense obviously has problems, but I'm highly concerned about the offense. Since Taysom went down, TOP has gone from a net positive to an extreme negative. The offense has been good in 4 quarters in the last 3.5 games. The following are items that need to be rectified soon:

If Jamaal Williams is active, he needs to be on the field at the begining of the game. When I saw that he wasn't starting, I assumed he was still hurt. No, he came in during the 2nd quarter and BYU scored on his first drive in. Williams not being on the field is unacceptable.

The team needs to slow down on offense. GFGH is only effective if you have a freak athlete at QB (Hill is, Stewart isn't) or if your QB is efficient (Hill is, Stewart isn't). I know Bib will come in and argue that Hill isn't efficient in the pass game, but he was top 15 in efficiency this year.

If Stewart isn't going to keep the ball at least a few times a game on the read option, they need to change the blocking on it. I can see why they don't want him to run it because the current backup is a safety, but the threat has to be there or it's just a ridiculous play. They could add the WRs to the running game on fly sweeps, or using a fake fly sweep to freeze the end so Jamaal can go up the middle.

The only thing I want the defense to do is make the tackles they are in position to make. That will go a long way to getting them off the field on 3rd downs.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

A 3-4 defensive line isn't supposed to get pressure on the qb. It is mis-labeled. In the 3-4 the lineman are supposed to occupy the lineman and the linebackers shoot in the gaps and tackle QBs and rbs.

Unfortunately ours just run into the back of our lineman and they can't shake a block to save their life.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

BlueIsBetter wrote:A 3-4 defensive line isn't supposed to get pressure on the qb. It is mis-labeled. In the 3-4 the lineman are supposed to occupy the lineman and the linebackers shoot in the gaps and tackle QBs and rbs.

Unfortunately ours just run into the back of our lineman and they can't shake a block to save their life.

I couldn't agree with you anymore on this. I couldn't tell you how many times I have see a line backer just run straight into the back of someone and just stop. There's no push no trying to get around. It looks like a bee flying into a window and not understanding what to do or how to get around it. Its frustrating and pathetic all in one.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

1 and 2 are nearly the same thing. So combining those two gives a clear top 3. Almost the entire list has some impact. I was surprised that you left out Hubris ;)

More importantly, you left of a top 4 candidate. This year was a total rebuild on defense across the board, kicker, punt returner, and of the wide receivers. Tons of new, INEXPERIENCED, faces - talented on paper, and in some cases, on the field, but inexperienced. That would be in my top 4.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I have no problem with Bronco stepping away from the defense; just find someone competent to run it. Howell isn't that guy.

Howell being appointed DC points to a larger issue, Bronco/BYU's inability to get talented assistants.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel