Hans Olsen on past players

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Hans Olsen on past players

Post by hawkwing »

Not a single player who has played under Bronco has ever even hinted that Bronco isn't the best coach for this team or that he acts like a bishop or mission president. These are fan fantasies.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote:Not a single player who has played under Bronco has ever even hinted that Bronco isn't the best coach for this team or that he acts like a bishop or mission president. These are fan fantasies.
More like fan "allegations."

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Everything Sno said.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Well, there are quite a few transfers. I don't think it is realistic to think that everything is roses between the coaching staff (including Bronco) and former players, when there are several player transfers and a revolving carousel of coaches being hired and let go.

I think that there is a lot more to this story than anyone on this board knows and is just guessing.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Well, there are quite a few transfers. I don't think it is realistic to think that everything is roses between the coaching staff (including Bronco) and former players, when there are several player transfers and a revolving carousel of coaches being hired and let go.

I think that there is a lot more to this story than anyone on this board knows and is just guessing.
How perfectly non-blue-goggled of you.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

hawkwing wrote:Not a single player who has played under Bronco has ever even hinted that Bronco isn't the best coach for this team or that he acts like a bishop or mission president. These are fan fantasies.
Not true, I personally know players that are not big fans of his. They are nice and have some positive things to say but they are not close to BM.

I know two former BM players who like him but have both said he is not a father figure type guy. He is not close to the players and those he is close with are generally defensive guys. He says he has an open door but he does not. One player specifically told me he had a handful of 1x1 conversations with BM in 4 years, he is player you would all know and played defense. He did not say it in a bad way but just that BM was not close with players. Lavell was and he had those relationships and BM does not.

KVN may be an example of the opposite end of things, but that is the exception not the norm.

BM is not a big time motivator, he is steady eddie, that is why we come out flat so often. Players I know don't dislike him but he is not a guy they would run through a wall for. The feedback was he was uninterested in relationships with players and they were often frustrated because he did not work like other coaches do, he did not sit down 1x1 with players to coach and help, he left early to go home with family (hard to fault him but tough when other coaches put in the time).

Maybe BM should act like a Bishop and get to know his players. ;)

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

snoscythe wrote:How many players who've played under Bronco are critical of him?

The only past players I've seen being at all critical are Derik Stevenson and Rob Morris. Neither of whom played in what I might call Lavell's glory years--Lavell had a worse W-L during both of those players' tenure (60% with Stevenson, 62% with Morris) than Bronco has had since Max Hall left (63%), including the recent 4-game skid mark.
Do you really think former players of BM's will all come public with criticism? Heck no. They will talk with friends and family about issues or thoughts. Trust me this happens. Do you want BM players to come public, what is the upside?

Not sure what the criticism has to do with winning percentage?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

NDCougar wrote:Not sure what the criticism has to do with winning percentage?
These are guys who claim to know how to win because they played under Lavell. The % is an indicator that they don't know any better than any BYU player under Bronco.

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

snoscythe wrote:
NDCougar wrote:Not sure what the criticism has to do with winning percentage?
These are guys who claim to know how to win because they played under Lavell. The % is an indicator that they don't know any better than any BYU player under Bronco.
Ah got it, fair point

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

NDCougar wrote:
Not true, I personally know players that are not big fans of his. They are nice and have some positive things to say but they are not close to BM.

I know two former BM players who like him but have both said he is not a father figure type guy. He is not close to the players and those he is close with are generally defensive guys. He says he has an open door but he does not. One player specifically told me he had a handful of 1x1 conversations with BM in 4 years, he is player you would all know and played defense. He did not say it in a bad way but just that BM was not close with players. Lavell was and he had those relationships and BM does not.

KVN may be an example of the opposite end of things, but that is the exception not the norm.

BM is not a big time motivator, he is steady eddie, that is why we come out flat so often. Players I know don't dislike him but he is not a guy they would run through a wall for. The feedback was he was uninterested in relationships with players and they were often frustrated because he did not work like other coaches do, he did not sit down 1x1 with players to coach and help, he left early to go home with family (hard to fault him but tough when other coaches put in the time).

Maybe BM should act like a Bishop and get to know his players. ;)
Sure thing, Bib, err ND. I believe you. Lets say it this way, while there have been a lot of former Bronco players to come out in support of him, not a single former Bronco player has ever come out against him as the head coach, and it seems like now would really be the time to do so.