Spiff's Spots of Observation and Other Statistical Nonsense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Spiff's Spots of Observation and Other Statistical Nonsense

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yes! Another loss! I watched the game in the Cougar Corner den w/ Hawkwing and we had quite the time commisserating and laughing at the ineptitude being shown us. I feel for the coaches and players who work hard only to get worked over so hard. I feel for fans who truly believe and enjoy watching the team only to have belief dashed and enjoyment sapped from watching.

Perhaps I'll write more about how I feel about the current state of the program. But now it's time for some what I saw in watching the game and examining the box score and play-by-play!

- Boise St had a passing efficiency rating of 224.65. It was the 2nd time this season a team has surpassed 200 in PER and the 2nd highest given up under Bronco.

- It was only the 12th opponent since 1994 to exceed 200 in PER, and marked the first time since 1997 BYU has given up 200+ in PER in two separate games in the same season (Utah St being the other team this year.)

- The 55 points given up were the most since BYU gave up 55 in a loss to Tulsa in 2007.

- BYU gave up 13 rushing 1st Downs, the most yielded since given up 16 to Nevada in 2010.

- One bright note for the defense, for only the second time this season the defense did not give up a first down via penalty.

- Boise St had the ball for 36:26. It was the fifth straight game BYU's opponent had more time of possession. The last time BYU lost the time of possesion battle five games in a row was 2001 when BYU lost it eight straight games. And as further proof to the irrelevance to this stat, BYU was 8-0 in those games in 2001.

- Boise had 9 "explosive" plays - plays of 20 or more yards. It was the most explosive plays since givin up 8 vs Utah in 2011.

- Boise converted 7 of 13 (.538) 3rd Down attempts. They were the first opponent this year to convert more than half of their 3rd Down attempts.

- Don't worry, the ineffectiveness wasn't limited to the defense. The offense had 63 yards rushing, the fewest yards rushing since the 2012 Poinsettia Bowl where BYU had 52. It was also the fewest years rushing since Robert Anae returned to coach the offense.

- And the Cougars' four 1st Downs by rush were the fewest since that same bowl game in 2012 vs San Diego St.

- BYU failed to cover the spread for the eighth in the last ten games.

- Boise St was wearing blue helmets. Bronco is now 7-8 (.467) against teams in a blue helmet.

- Good news! Bronco is 15-1 (.938) against teams with a grey helmet. Middle Tennesse wears a grey helmet!

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Spiff's Spots of Observation and Other Statistical Nonse

Post by hawkwing »

If I remember correctly, this is the first Bronco Mendenhall coached team that has lost when the defense has scored.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

hawkwing wrote:If I remember correctly, this is the first Bronco Mendenhall coached team that has lost when the defense has scored.
better yet, when was the last time the defense scored twice and lost - safety and a pick 6 vs BSU.

PS, Spiff

We do not have nifty special teams measurements in our reporting each week, but how do you think they did this week?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think the two defensive scores negated each other.

I could add in some ST measurements, but I'm not sure which ones to include. And frankly, I don't think there are any special teams' statistics that show any correlation to that and winning. I could do field position as that seems to be the only one that matters when it comes to ST.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:I think the two defensive scores negated each other.

I could add in some ST measurements, but I'm not sure which ones to include. And frankly, I don't think there are any special teams' statistics that show any correlation to that and winning. I could do field position as that seems to be the only one that matters when it comes to ST.
Field position is impacted by almost every element of special teams play, plus offense and defense. Anyway to isolate ST impact? Then missed field goals impacts points and field position. Not sure how to measure creation of turnovers, lack of that, capitalizing on opponent ST turnovers, lack of that, committing turnovers or not by our ST and keeping or not keeping opponents from capitalizing on our ST turnovers. ST can score points various ways from punt or kick returns, blocked kicks returned, fumbles returned. They can give up points. Penalties for and against or lack of them. I just have no idea how to measure it other than measuring a bunch of specific things.

some super spreadsheet and a ton of time could probably calculate field position impact over and under to standard. If 25 yard line is standard or expected, on kickoffs other than Onsides - maybe over / under to that. If 45 yard punt with 5 yard return is the norm, over under to net 40. Of course that gets skewed up by coffin corner punt from the 35 downed inside the 5. Tough to measure.

But, for the record, I thought Special Teams played poorly VA BSU.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.