BYU's biggest deficiency and liability: Coach Kaufusi

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU's biggest deficiency and liability: Coach Kaufusi

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm stealing this from Cougarboard. But I think it nails the problems on the defense. If there is ONE coach and only one coach I would change out first, it would be Coach Kaufusi. He's the defense's Coach Weber.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=13208915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you look back at the D-Line recruits for the 2009-2013 classes, it's easy to see why the defense is struggling so much.
Peck 3* DE - Serviceable player, should probably be a backup.
Chrichton 3* DT - Washed out of program

Afo 3* DT - Washed out of program
Kanuch 3* DT - Switched to O-line
Tuiloma 2* DT - Serviceable player
Kafusi 4* DE - Moved to OLB for incomprehensible reasons
Rowley 4* DE - Shaking off mission rust

Olomua 2* DE - Washed out
Kafusi 2* DE - Outgrew football
Lesatele 2* DE - On a mission?
Reden 2* DE - Moved to TE
Tausinga 3* DT - On roster, injury issues
Kaamatule 3* DT - On a mission?
Pritchard 3* DE - Transferred

Taamuta-* DE - Washed out
King -* DE - Can't find the field
Johnson 2* DT - Serviceable player

Laulile 2* DE - Seeing time
Pulsipher 2* DE - Mission

That's 19 guys from the 5 classes that should be stocking our current D-Line. Of those guys, only 6 are on the roster and playing D-Line, (including King, who doesn't actually play). Of those 6, you have 1 4* (Rowley), 1 3 star (Peck), 3 2 stars (Tuiloma, Laulile, and Johnson), and a guy who wasn't evaluated (King). We have done a terrible job landing talented D-Linemen, and a bad job developing the ones we do get. Fixing that has to be a priority going forward. The 2014 class had some decent prospects in Leaitaua, Dawe, Nacua, and Fuga, unfortunately all of those guys are at least another year away due to missions. The 2015 class has some really good prospects as well (Hunt, Tafua, and Mounga), but I think we need to bring in a couple of JC guys if we are going to see immediate improvement. Otherwise, next year's D could struggle just as much as this year's.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Re: BYU's biggest deficiency and liability: Coach Kaufusi

Post by BroncoBot »

I think Weber got the last (current) laugh during USU game when his line LIT up BYU.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Trailer Trash, Spiff. I expect more from you. You seriously denegrated CC with CB? You should be put on warning. At least make a case on your own. This idiots stats are padded and misrepresentative. Kaufusi #2 played Oline during spring ball before his mission. Tui C was a mess and totally out of shape. there are others. Peck was overrated and done very little this year.
But seriously, a lack of talent is all kaufusis problem? How about the scheme that Bronco is so wedded to? He doesnt want his linemen putting pressure on the qb--he wants them chewing up blockers. What monster recruit wants to do that? Ask Jan Jorgenson why he went from a freshman stud to all but a dud, at least statitically, BC the the scheme changed and he had to take up blockers.
What has Bronco's mantra been all year? 'STOP THE RUN. THATS IT" Thats almost a verbatum quote. What Dlinemen wants to come play for that? The big dogs want to eat. Broncos scheme has bled out and bred out the big dogs from coming to BYU. Anyone who wants stats goes to a 4-3.
Maybe you can accuse Coach K of saving his own son by getting him in a Ziggy position of coming off the edge and so he got him off of DE. WHY? Bc Bronson fits better in a a 4-3 scheme, like Ziggy. Manu and Fuga were very solid.I could go on.
But is Howell kicking butt and taking names with his D-backfield? NOPE
Is Poppinga killing it with his OLB's? NOPE
And lets not even start on Poppingas Special teams masterpieces.
Is Tidwell killing it with ILB's? NOPE
And then there is "Mr running [WITH] the Wind". How has that move paid off? Or better yet, how did it pay off to take back over play calling? WORST D PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR.
And why we are at it--and i am tempted to start a thread with a Poll as to reasons why Bronco really handed back the clipboard and DC duties--why did he give them back???? Where is the urgency?? I will tell you. Bc Bronco knows he has had bad bad misfortune with injuries and medicore preparation by Howell for the last 8 months and he knows this D is not going to recover. So why let himself get thrown under the bus? Poor Howell. He is going down with his DC ship. My prediciton is he gets fired or leaves end of season.
So, you tell me? Tell us? THE DEFENSE HAS BEEN MISMANAGED ONCE AGAIN AND HE DOESNT HAVE THE HEART TO TAKE IT BACK UP THIS YEAR AND/OR FIRE HOWELL (like Hill) and he knows he cant recpature this D and has to start over in the off season. Anybody want to Bet me?
THis notion is bunk, bunk, bunk. The D wasnt solid with healthy players. And it is a mess with new, albeit some talented upcoming players. Does BYU need better Dlinemen? most assuredly. Funny how so many, including Bronco himself toolk credit for Ziggy when it was Coach Kaufusi who coached him up.
I like Bronco. I dont even want him fired. But he has stepped back and that is obvious to most fans and i bet his players--especially the ones who have tweeted and questioned (KVN, Hoke, etc). Maybe Bronco is tired. Maybe he has finally hit his ceiling at ten years. remember when he said he didnt want to stay as long as LaVel? Was that smoke and mirrors? Has he earned his tenure, 2mm, and now wants to pull it back a little? Has he gotten sick and tired of the whiny fans, entitled boosters, disloyal former players, pesky media, etc, etc? I hope not. I hope he is just trying to save this team and is looking to restart after the season.
So, everybody is looking for a scapegoat. I guess Kaufusi had to take his turn.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

FWIW

Rivals had Rowley as a 3 star not 4. They also had Lesatale as a 3 star and so was Johnson.

The point remains, the recruiting on both lines have been really weak.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The scheme is sound. Top 10 defenses over the past few years prove that. Most good run defenses are in the 3-4 scheme if the DL can demand double teams. (And the reason why 3-4 defenses are generally better at stopping the run is because it's usually harder to block a LB for a OL than a lineman).

The problem right now is the DL aren't eating up blockers. Is it a talent issue or a coaching issue? I don't know. Is Bronco still coaching the NT's?

The experiment with Bronson at OLB hasn't gone well (to put it mildly). I think part of it was his injuries during fall camp and the injury at the beginning of the year. I hope he moves back to end next year as I think he can have a Ziggy type impact at that position if a good NT and LBs develop for next year.

As far as the order I'd replace the coaches:

Kafusi
Tidwell
Howell
Anae

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BroncoBot wrote:I think Weber got the last (current) laugh during USU game when his line LIT up BYU.
Nailed it. The receivers coach fans hated landed at Purdue with some success. What was his name?

Anae - Arizona and back.

It was the fan favorites like Doman, Cahoon, and buddy Dupaix, that could not even find jobs.

So maybe fan favorites Kaufusi and Popping a should be looked at and fan favorite TE coach prospect did belong in administration.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Nailed what? What's your point, Bib? Your sloppy grammar, as usual, is confusing.
So, Chad Lewis is to blame? You thought Weber was effective at BYU?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Nailed what? What's your point, Bib? Your sloppy grammar, as usual, is confusing.
So, Chad Lewis is to blame? You thought Weber was effective at BYU?
My point is that the track record of the fans, who of course, always seem to have their sacred cows as well as a stable of goats regarding players and coaches is not very good.

Crowton was going to take us to the next level
Doman was going to take recruiting to new heights and also show Anae how play calling should be done.
Anyone named Kaufusi - and I know some of their family members and love them - is Godlike, NFL and NBA bound
Cahoon will make the receivers catch like Spiderman
Etc.

Weber can obviously coach an OL when the talent is there and cannot, when it is not. Like all coaches. Like Higgins. BTW, I am not claiming that any of them are great. BYU has not had great assistant coaches lately. They do not have great assistant coaches now.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

So the witch hunt continues....
To be fair, shouldn't this list of D-linemen Kafusi recruited go back to 2002 when be became the D-line coach? BYU has had some big names leave and there are some misses in recent years. There is always ups and downs when it comes to recruiting. This feels a bit like cherry-picking with some recent misses.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

This makes the presumption that recruiting for each position group is done entirely or even mainly by that position coach. I am not a recruiter, but know one from another team now and have read about BYU recruiting over the years.

You have recruiting coordinators. You have recruiting assignments, which are often more regional than by position group. Then you have closers like the head coach or a coordinator.

You have a head coach that only wants players that recruit BYU.

Recruiting is not a strength of Bronco's outside of the paradigm established, because he does not like to hit the road and play the game. He is an excellent closer with those players that get to see him and their families.