It appears we have locker room issues

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It appears we have locker room issues

Post by SpiffCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:When the Utes got beat, they got beat by better teams. Who in the Max Hall era would BYU have lost to in this year's schedule?
Hmm... Does Max Hall get injured and we're now playing with Brendan Gaskins or Riley Nelson?

Because if we're playing with one of them, I can think of a few teams a Max Hall-era BYU team would lose to this year.
Well, Max Hall is/was a lot less likely to get hurt, because he had an Oline that would block for him, and they ran quick outs and dump offs to the half back. Even though he played much better competition than anything we have seen the last 5 years. And Gaskins was decent. I personally knew him, he had offers from ASU and other schools.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Gaskins is a COMPLETE unknown. Did he even throw a pass at BYU. He didn't even want to play. He stepped completely to the side to allow someone else - who hadn't beaten him out - to take his place.

He didn't want to be the backup. He went to the coaches and said Riley Nelson should be the backup. I have no faith in a player who didn't even want to play.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:When the Utes got beat, they got beat by better teams. Who in the Max Hall era would BYU have lost to in this year's schedule?
Hmm... Does Max Hall get injured and we're now playing with Brendan Gaskins or Riley Nelson?

Because if we're playing with one of them, I can think of a few teams a Max Hall-era BYU team would lose to this year.
Well, Max Hall is/was a lot less likely to get hurt, because he had an Oline that would block for him, and they ran quick outs and dump offs to the half back. Even though he played much better competition than anything we have seen the last 5 years. And Gaskins was decent. I personally knew him, he had offers from ASU and other schools.

Gaskins is a COMPLETE unknown. Did he even throw a pass at BYU. He didn't even want to play. He stepped completely to the side to allow someone else - who hadn't beaten him out - to take his place.

He didn't want to be the backup. He went to the coaches and said Riley Nelson should be the backup. I have no faith in a player who didn't even want to play.
You are right about the first part of it, but dead wrong about the last part. You guys are the ones on here demeaning people that don't have a "team first" mentality (he left for another team, quit, for playing time instead of sticking with his team etc etc...).

Gaskins only had his senior year left, Nelson was a sophomore. He thought that if he stepped aside and gave Riley backup snaps, thinking that would set up BYU to keep winning. It was a selfless act by someone that bought into Bronco's philosophy of things being more important (he had a wife, and was getting a degree).

Nice, hypocrisy on display there.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

Nice sidestep

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BoiseBYU wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

Nice sidestep
Not a sidestep, an answer to a question. As an answer, with Gaskins in I don't think we lose to Utah St, I don't think that we lose to UCF (currently losing to Uconn - who is winless against Div 1a teams - as I type), and I don't think we lose to Nevada.

I don't think that we lose to any of those teams with Heaps, either.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

Nice sidestep
Not a sidestep, an answer to a question. As an answer, with Gaskins in I don't think we lose to Utah St, I don't think that we lose to UCF (currently losing to Uconn - who is winless against Div 1a teams - as I type), and I don't think we lose to Nevada.

I'll take CS over Heaps any day of the week.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Oh man, can't believe we'd see Heaps name mentioned here again. Heaps couldn't beat a red headed step child. Let's face it, he just isn't a legit D1 player. That's been proven at 3 different schools.

Remember, Heaps lost to USU at home aND we barely had enough time to put in Nelson to save the game.

I would take Taysom, Stewart, Riley, Travis Wilson, and even Munn over Heaps.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

To wouldn't take Munns. At least Heaps was willing to play

(8.4x
..................ATT
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

Hey Spiff? Unbecoming of you. I suppose you prefer Riley's version of team. Low blow, dude.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

It's a low blow to say a player who didn't want to play is someone I have no faith in?

I want guys who want to play. Riley's problem was he didn't have the body and size to play the way he wanted to play. When he was healthy he was fairly to pretty effective.

He just wasn't healthy enough often enough. And when he was hurt, he was simply abysmal.

I don't know if Gaskins' move was "team first" or not. All I know is that no BYU knows how he would have performed under any circumstances, because he never played any meaningful snaps while at BYU. Not one.

(8.4x
..................ATT
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

Nice sidestep

Total sidestep. You did not answer Spiff's question but one more to your convenient liking. It is election season, though, and we did win Saturday, so we'll wave off the flag.