My Question about Oregon State:

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My Question about Oregon State:

Post by Short_Change »

Mars wrote:
Is it possible that they have THE best (healthy) QB, THE best RB, THE best WR, and THE best DT (a Samoan from Utah) that BYU has seen this year, all on the same team?
Paea is from Cali not Utah and McCoy is better IMO. Canfield is good but I don't think he's better than Dalton or Ponder. David Reed, Jeremy Williams, and Vincent Brown (from SDSU who got injured the game after BYU) are better. Quiz is probably the best RB we've faced though.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Short_Change wrote:
Mars wrote: Is it possible that they have THE best (healthy) QB, THE best RB, THE best WR, and THE best DT (a Samoan from Utah) that BYU has seen this year, all on the same team?
Paea is from Cali not Utah and McCoy is better IMO. Canfield is good but I don't think he's better than Dalton or Ponder. David Reed, Jeremy Williams, and Vincent Brown (from SDSU who got injured the game after BYU) are better. Quiz is probably the best RB we've faced though.
Paea moved from TONGA to Utah, played high school ball at Timpview, then went on to Snow College (Ephraim, UT), according to his Scout.com profile.

And as far as my list:

QB:
1. Bradford, OU (for half a game) - Weak OL
2. Canfield, Oregon State (will get drafted ahead of Max Hall) - Best arm (behind an excellent OL)
3. Dalton, TCU - Smartest game manager
4. Ponder, Florida State - Very high potential

RB:
1. Asiata, Utah (had he stayed healthy) - Strongest power rusher
2. Jaquizz, Oregon State - Best overall season by far
3. The OU duo
4. The TCU core
5. The Florida State core

WR:
1. James Rodgers - Best pure receiver
2. Broyles, OU - Speedy slot receiver
3. Reed, Utah
4. The SDSU kid
5. Kerley, TCU - Even better on special teams

DT:
1. McCoy, OU - Absolute beast!
2. Paea, Oregon State - Best in the PAC-10
3. Utah's starter?
4. TCU's starter?
Last edited by Mars on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Yep, Paea played at Timpview high school.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

Wow, he did play there. My little brother actually played with him. I vaguely remember him. My brother said in HS he had a lot of potential but didn't really know the game very well yet. He was benching over 400 and squating over 550 in HS my little brother said. Dang!

He actually came from Tonga not Samoa and had to learn english. I'm sure that's why he had to go to snow first. I wonder why we didn't get him. Did we recruit him and if we didn't was it because he didn't have the grades or was it just that we didn't want him? We really could have used him!

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

According to Scout it looks like we offered him, but he wasn't interested. I wonder why. I'm guessing he isn't LDS and maybe that's why. He was rated as a 3 star athlete out of Snow.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Short_Change wrote:According to Scout it looks like we offered him, but he wasn't interested. I wonder why. I'm guessing he isn't LDS and maybe that's why. He was rated as a 3 star athlete out of Snow.
There are quite a few LDS polynesian players at OSU.

Devin Unga
Eric Moala Liavaa
Kaulin Krebs
Kevin Unga
Mau Nomani
Sioeli Nau
Walker Vave
William Akau'ola Vea

Are all LDS and I believe they have all served missions. So if he is LDS his comfort level is probably pretty high at OSU.

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

Interesting. What is Oregon St's Poly connection?

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

mormonrasta wrote:
Short_Change wrote:According to Scout it looks like we offered him, but he wasn't interested. I wonder why. I'm guessing he isn't LDS and maybe that's why. He was rated as a 3 star athlete out of Snow.
There are quite a few LDS polynesian players at OSU.

Devin Unga
Eric Moala Liavaa
Kaulin Krebs
Kevin Unga
Mau Nomani
Sioeli Nau
Walker Vave
William Akau'ola Vea

Are all LDS and I believe they have all served missions. So if he is LDS his comfort level is probably pretty high at OSU.
One interesting thing though is that on his scout profile it said he had no interest towards BYU. If he were LDS I would have thought he'd put BYU at least at Medium interest. Utah was also at no interest. I don't know how all of those recruiting sites work. For all I know his interest level could have been changed once he verballed. I don't know. Maybe someone else knows.

bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

Oregon State scares me. I've watched several of their games, and boy, those guys can play. They are not unbeatable, but they are good. It will take a complete game from BYU to win, the defense will have to make plays, make them punt a few times. The offense is going to have to score points, Unga is going to have to get yards, and receivers are going to have to catch everything thrown their way. I'd love this to be a battle to the end, with BYU winning on a clock eating drive, 38-35.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

My question about Oregon State: how soon do they put in the 2nd stringers? I don't think there is a motivation issue on the Cougs' part, but I think there is quite a talent gap on our defense. I just don't see us stopping OSU this game. They are a skilled and disciplined FSU...what chance do we have? What am I missing besides the faint possibility that the OU Cougs come out to play?