Q to BYU!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Q to BYU!

Post by Schmoe »

EM_Puma wrote:
Schmoe wrote:He's listed at 5' 11" 210 lbs 4.55 forty time. Ran for over 1600 yards this season and averaged just over ten yards a carry and 20 touchdowns, 3.3 gpa, 335 lb bench, 445 lb squat, 36-inch vertical, and a partridge in a pear tree.
According to Scout.com and an article Jay Drew linked in his blog, Quezada rushed for 2,114 yards and 26 touchdowns this season.
My bad, those were the rushing numbers from his junior year.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

Great get! No doubt about it. Kudos to the coaches, players, and Q for his maturity in selecting "the type of place he wants to be."

Here's my only question: in the highlight video, Quezada look a lot like Chambers did in his HS highlights (running over/through/around/past people). OC hasn't really shown that at this level. Will Q be able to make a speed/power impact at the D1 level?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Italics wrote:Just outta curiosity: Is this kid LDS?

Anyway, watched the video Sno posted.... is it weird that it made me kinda [deleted]? That is how excited I am for this kid to play for us. Wow, just wow.
Italics, just because something comes to your mind doesn't mean you need to say it.

bluebrotha
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bluebrotha »

The article indicates he intends to start ASAP. Is this telling Unga is leaving ?

Mithrandir
Recruit

Unga is gone...

Post by Mithrandir »

bluebrotha wrote:
The article indicates he intends to start ASAP. Is this telling Unga is leaving ?
There's no way he stays.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Here is a thought for next year. Put Unga in at FB and Q at RB. Unga proves he can play that position and improves his draft stock and Q gets to see the field with an awesome running attack to help the new QB.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote:Here is a thought for next year. Put Unga in at FB and Q at RB. Unga proves he can play that position and improves his draft stock and Q gets to see the field with an awesome running attack to help the new QB.
Here's a thought--why as a coach do you put your best offensive player, and second best RB in the history of the school, in a tertiary position used in less than 35% of your formations, and that touches the ball on 7% of snaps and instead put a true freshman in a position where he touches the ball on 24% of the snaps? And then, why would you do that when you are breaking in a new quarterback?

It's stupid is what it is. I don't know where people are getting this idea that Harvey needs to play FB for a season to improve his draft stock. FB is a niche position that doesn't get drafted. Who was the highest drafted FB the last year? Answer--no one. Not a single FB was drafted in 2009. Who was the highest drafted FB in 2008? Owen Schmitt out of WVU--fifth round. And Schmitt was arguably the best FB in the past 15 years. So, if the best FB in over a year can't get past the 5th round, how much is Harvey going to improve his draft stock as a projected 4th rounder by devoting a season to a niche position that NFL teams fill by sliding over D-linemen, TEs, and big-bodied running backs?

Harvey has NOTHING to gain by playing FB. The scouts have plenty of film on Harvey blocking to know what he can do with a position change. What's more, the team has nothing to gain by putting Harvey at FB. You're telling me you honestly think the coaches would take the most consistent and prolific running-back in the history of the school and slide him over to FB to let some 3-star tailback see the field when you are going to be breaking in a brand new quarterback? It's lunacy is what it is.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

hawkwing wrote:

Anyway, watched the video Sno posted.... is it weird that it made me kinda [deleted]? That is how excited I am for this kid to play for us. Wow, just wow.
Italics, just because something comes to your mind doesn't mean you need to say it.
You can't have been the first person to tell him this, and, I'm suspecting, not the last either :whistle: :lol:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote:
hawkwing wrote:

You can't have been the first person to tell him this, and, I'm suspecting, not the last either :whistle: :lol:
I give Italics a pass on this one. The kid is getting married in 5 days, so he's kinda sitting on a hair-trigger right now. :lol:

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:
scott715 wrote:Here is a thought for next year. Put Unga in at FB and Q at RB. Unga proves he can play that position and improves his draft stock and Q gets to see the field with an awesome running attack to help the new QB.
Here's a thought--why as a coach do you put your best offensive player, and second best RB in the history of the school, in a tertiary position used in less than 35% of your formations, and that touches the ball on 7% of snaps and instead put a true freshman in a position where he touches the ball on 24% of the snaps? And then, why would you do that when you are breaking in a new quarterback?

It's stupid is what it is. I don't know where people are getting this idea that Harvey needs to play FB for a season to improve his draft stock. FB is a niche position that doesn't get drafted. Who was the highest drafted FB the last year? Answer--no one. Not a single FB was drafted in 2009. Who was the highest drafted FB in 2008? Owen Schmitt out of WVU--fifth round. And Schmitt was arguably the best FB in the past 15 years. So, if the best FB in over a year can't get past the 5th round, how much is Harvey going to improve his draft stock as a projected 4th rounder by devoting a season to a niche position that NFL teams fill by sliding over D-linemen, TEs, and big-bodied running backs?

Harvey has NOTHING to gain by playing FB. The scouts have plenty of film on Harvey blocking to know what he can do with a position change. What's more, the team has nothing to gain by putting Harvey at FB. You're telling me you honestly think the coaches would take the most consistent and prolific running-back in the history of the school and slide him over to FB to let some 3-star tailback see the field when you are going to be breaking in a brand new quarterback? It's lunacy is what it is.
:skeptic: So... If I'm reading you correctly.....You're..... saying.... (very delicately I admit) that you not that big of a fan of the idea? :roll: