Would BYU Have Won the PAC-10 in 2009?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Would BYU Have Won the PAC-10 in 2009?

Post by CougarPeasant »

I didn't give BYU any chance in Arlington either, but they did it. They did stub their toe against FSU, but then so did Oregon against Stanford. So, I believe BYU could have won the PAC-10 this season, especially if they were one of the ten teams and Oregon was on the outside looking in. ;)

clemdiggitydog1
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by clemdiggitydog1 »

rasta,I've enjoyed your posts in the past and the insight you seem able to provide on your homegrown conference PAC-10,but i really think your off-base on your analysis of our chances in the PAC-10 this year.to say that we have "no chance "with your Wildcats in Tucson after watching the debacle vs. Nebraska is real hubris.also,the idea that we also have similar chance vs. UW and Cal ie. little to no chance acc.to you,is shortsighted.Most of these teams have been exposed in the post season as being grossly overranked and one has to have blinders on,dispensed by the BCS hierarchy,to not see that.Now granted we may not have the same defense that Nebraska has,but the Arizona team i saw that night was no powerhouse,and we've almost beaten Arizona in their place when they were better and we were worse.please explain your position,if you can.

cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

westidahocougar wrote:Since we didnt win the MWC than I dont think we could have won the PAC-10.

Interesting thought though, I dont think there is any team that we could not compete with in the PAC-10 and have a shot to win.

We have the talent, but seem to have a let down game (or two or three) every year. If we let down in PAC-10 play like we did against New Mexico, we lose that game.
That's obviously bull, the PAC-10 might have "slightly" more depth, but the MWC is a better conference overall, just look at how the four ranked PAC-10 teams did in the bowl season...

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mormonrasta wrote:Probably not.

WSU- BYU beats anytime anywhere.
UCLA- BYU beats anytime anywhere
ASU- BYU beats anytime anywhere
OSU- BYU certainly wins in Provo. Probably wins in Corvallis.
UW- BYU certainly wins in Provo. Winning in Seattle unlikely
Cal- BYU certainly wins in Provo. Winning in Berkeley unlikely
Stanford- Toss up in either Provo or Palo Alto.
USC- Toss up in either Provo or LA
Arizona- BYU probably wins in Provo. No chance in Tucson
Oregon- Probably wins in Provo. No chance in Eugene.

If BYU played Oregon, Arizona, Cal, and UW at home then they would have a great chance of winning the Pac-10 this year with 1 or 2 losses.

apparently arizona keeps their offense stored in a safe place in tuscon and they only let it out for home games... they're not even allowed out for bowl games ;)

I'd like to think we could win in Tuscon, it's not like they're some home team juggernaut.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

And the pukes almost won in Eugene. So I don't think one could say that there's "no chance in Eugene" for the Cougars.

Also BYU has already won in Seattle and I didn't realize that Cal had such a strong home advantage. It seems like they lose a game or two in Berkley every year.

BYU may not have gone undefeated in the Pac-10 this year (TCU most certainly would have) but then, none of the Pac-10 teams did either so BYU still could have easily been in the hunt for the Pac-10 title this year.