Should BYU try to pick up Rocky Long as DC? POLL

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Should BYU try to pick up Rocky Long as DC?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:13 am

Yes
79%
No
21%
Other (comment below)
No votes

Total votes: 19

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Should BYU try to pick up Rocky Long as DC? POLL

Post by EM_Puma »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:15 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 pm The last DC we hired from a MWC school who came with prior personal animus against BYU panned out pretty well...
Good point. And there is no reason to believe that BYU's current DC is ever going to be competent. I voted "no" and if I had to do it over I'd still vote "no". but if he were to be hired I would be very happy about it.
Difference was he was mainstream active. I don't know if Rocky ever was or is. That would make a big difference.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Long is 70 years old, and doesn't want the grind of the Head Coach job anymore. I'm not sure that becomes a plus--as good as he has been on defensive side of the ball. Any struggles and criticism would not be met with any course correction I'm afraid.
And there is philosophical differences on the direction of BYU football. Long wants them back in the MWC which conflicts with the announced direction of independence seeking a P5 conference.
This is why I voted no.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

You guys who don't thing Long at BYU would be a good thing are nuts.

If the choice is Teriyaki or Long, the no brain needed choice is Long.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.
This is incorrect, Rocky Long's parents met at BYU. He said this in an interview before we played them. He loves BYU. As far as him coaching at BYU, it is impossible no matter how much we would all want it because it would require a couple of things to happen. First, he would have to leave SDSU and the only way he would do that is to retire, not to come be a Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach. Second, Sitake would have to fire his "brother" in order to hire coach Long and that is even less likely than Rocky retiring to come be the Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Anyway, I voted Yes because in a dream world where it would happen Rocky would be such an upgrade over the joke defense we currently have, it isn't worth talking about.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Promote Homoe to VP Advancement. Move Tuiaki to AD and add Rocky as DC.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:48 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.
This is incorrect, Rocky Long's parents met at BYU. He said this in an interview before we played them. He loves BYU. As far as him coaching at BYU, it is impossible no matter how much we would all want it because it would require a couple of things to happen. First, he would have to leave SDSU and the only way he would do that is to retire, not to come be a Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach. Second, Sitake would have to fire his "brother" in order to hire coach Long and that is even less likely than Rocky retiring to come be the Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach.
Logic check: My parents met at the U. Do you think that makes me love that place? And I've never heard him say he "loves" BYU--though I heard him say he "doesn't hate" BYU. He wants them back in the MWC and then he would like them much more.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Wow, I hadn't seen the news that he had stepped down as SDSU's HC so I guess that obstacle is overcome, now all we need to do is get Sitake to fire his "brother" and we might have a shot at Rocky.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 pm
frdbtr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:48 pm
Logic check: My parents met at the U. Do you think that makes me love that place? And I've never heard him say he "loves" BYU--though I heard him say he "doesn't hate" BYU. He wants them back in the MWC and then he would like them much more.
When the question is worded "do you hate BYU?" do you answer "I love BYU" or "No, I don't Hate BYU". Seriously folks, do we have to argue about everything?

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

Yes. He won’t drop 8 on every play and keep doing it when it’s not working. That’s better than what BYU has today.